reversing Arthur stairs?

anastrophe

Has anyone ever reversed the stairs on the Arthur? I hate the way they stop right at the front door, so I thought I might pull them out and flip them around so they face the "back" of the house...I'd like to know if anyone has done this before.

I haven't built the Arthur (yet!) but, in my Mckinley I reversed the stairs. It was easy, just assembled them backwards from the instructions. then just put in house facing the back. I think it would work. You may have to alter the second floor opening a bit or you might lucky and the present opening will work. Go For It! B)

I just looked at the gallery and the second floor opening looks fairly centered, so if you build your stairs and just put them in facing back, it should work fine! I don't like the stairs stopping right at the front door either! B)

I reversed the stairs. I didn't like how they went right up to the frint door and then upstairs you would be walking right into an (imaginary) wall. So I made them go back to front. It gives enough room to go up them and when you get to the top you walk to the center window. I change the stairs in a lot of my houses. It just depends on what I am doing with it.

I've flipped stairs over in a few of my houses, it's easy. It doesn't really matter which way free stading stairs face. I think you'd only run into trouble if the stairs were supporting a wall, or partition.

If I put the stairs into another Arthur I may flip the floor and put them in the kitchen, facing towards the back. I have no problem flipping stairs around, but the only house the forward-facing stairs bothered me was the Haunted House.

I've built three Arthurs and have reversed the stairs in two of them. I always upgrade the door, and it opens in. In the Arthur, the door won't open all the way with the stairs facing the door. I do like to have the wall space under the stairs viewable with the stairs facing the door but would rather have the door open in. Most of the GL houses have the doors that come with the kit opening out. Real houses always open in. Stores usually open out. ;)

Pat I'm so glad to see someone else worried about the details in doll houses reflecting the way things are in real life. Not just the decorations but the logistics like the outside doors. The pierce dining room doors drove me nuts because they opened out and I couldn't see how people could negociate around them on the porch.

I told my daughter about it bothering me and she looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't care, I still made them open to the inside.

I've seen some dollhouses that I have been uncomfortable with just because they have been so crowded that the inhabitants would have to walk on furniture to cross the rooms.

Sorry to go on so long. I think I'm becoming obsessive. ;)

Didn't do it in my Arthur but did it in the Orchid here. I think it looks better this way. You could always "adjust" the opening for the reversal of the stairs

Pat I'm so glad to see someone else worried about the details in doll houses reflecting the way things are in real life. Not just the decorations but the logistics like the outside doors. The pierce dining room doors drove me nuts because they opened out and I couldn't see how people could negociate around them on the porch.

I told my daughter about it bothering me and she looked at me like I was nuts. I didn't care, I still made them open to the inside.

I've seen some dollhouses that I have been uncomfortable with just because they have been so crowded that the inhabitants would have to walk on furniture to cross the rooms.

Sorry to go on so long. I think I'm becoming obsessive. ;)

I think I've always been obsessive about this kind of thing in dollhouses. Most of the stair holes are way too small and the house inhabitants would be knocked ubconscious every time they would go up or down stairs. I usually make mine larger to accommodate my dolls. If the stairs are not really visible as in the Westville or McKinley it doesn't really matter because ilusion takes over. If the stairs are clearly visible I have to make all kinds of adjustments. The worst is when the stairs go to the third floor and the roof overhang leaves no clearance. I always reverse the stairs in that case. Trying to make what amounts to half a house look like a real house takes creativity on our part and that's where the fun comes in. :o