Stencil adhesive

judithfa

Is there such a thing as general stencil adhesive? It seems there is some problem sending the "Bromley" adhesive through the mail. Plus I would prefer to buy local -- no fancy shipping charges.

Thanks

:)

Judith, I have dealt with this company and they sell the Bromley Products.

Here is the info:

Dolls and Minis

18254 Quarry Road

Wellington, Ohio. 44090.

(440) 6471519

www.dollsandminis.com

Her name is Dawn Reese, and as far as I know, she is also a member of this forum.

Hope this helps.

Also you can get Low tack Stencil Spray adhesives at Hobby Lobby. The directions for the Bromley's brick compound stencils suggest using spray adhesive products by Humbrol and 3M's. I got Easy Tack spray adhesive from Krylon, it's repositionable. I haven't tried Bromley's brick compound yet, but I have some and will tell you how it goes.

I haven't tried Bromley's brick compound yet, but I have some and will tell you how it goes.

Thanks. I like that their stencils are sturdy and also that they have interesting brick patterns -- I am also tempted to try their roof tile stencil. I am glad that they have a US distributor.

I read that instead of their mix, you can use standard fine-sanded grout . That would be good since their "brick mix" is heavy, especially if you need a lot for a large house. I noticed that the Bromley people say that one bag will do a "small to medium" size house -- but how much is that? And, what about if you have to redo? I always mess up something, :D:) so I would really like as many "locally' available products as possible.

:banana:

Using the brick compound from Bromley is really easy. Don't be worried about messing up. The compound is mixed up with water and remains workable for a long time if it starts to dry out just add water. If you mess up just wipe the compound off and start again.
:D
One bag of the brick compound is 750g (grams). Also you can read more about the Bromley's brick compound, stencils and other products at www.craft-products.com

Judith: In trying the stencils I've used 3M Artist Spray adhesive, its repositionable --and haven't had any problems with taking it up and putting it down. After washing it does seem to leave a bit of tackiness but it may have been that I didn't use hot enough water. I think I got this at Walmart.

I'm frustrated right now because I've been trying different things to make the brick DAB's water putty which I used successfully on my sample wood but during the wait time (RL got in the way) I've lost my notes on the mixture I used and can't for the life of me get it right again. I also tried spackle but I either let it sit to long before pulling the stencil or not long enough. I'm at the point where I may just pay the price and get the Bromley's mixture--the price may in the long run be cheaper than me losing my sanity trying the different compounds. It doesn't help that I've got to do the brick before I can do anything else to the house and I can only work on one house at a time due to space limitations.

The stencils are tough cause this one particular one (shame cause I've not made in progress on the house) has been used numerous times with the different mixtures and is still holding is shape.

• 5 months later...

Chellebelle told me to look you guys up when she was at the New To You Show in Cleveland, so here I am. Chellebelle and her husband are wonderful people and it was delightful chatting with them. I have been a memeber of this forum for a while but I have never posted, I hope I am going this correctly. I actually own Dolls and Minis, we are the only ones that sell the Bromley products in the US. There was a question about the adhesive - any repositionable spray adhesive will work, the one I have in the store is by Stencil Ease, as long as its repositionable it should be fine. I only spray my stencil about once every 6 applications as the spray is not water soluable it doesn't have to be applied every time. You can use other products with the stencil, they will give different results (I haven't tried anything else so I can't say for sure what will work). The first house I bricked was the Orchid, its not complete (the bricking is) but I will post photos when it's done :lol: .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Holly,

I'm glad you liked them. It's so hard to explain how easy they are to work with, if I can, at shows, I will do a demonstration. The first house I used them on was the Orchid, I will have to finish it and post pictures. I am at present doing a half inch scale house with the rough stone (I carry 1:24 as well but they are not on the website) This is the first 1:24 I have ever made and it is so small compared with 1:12 :D Now I worked out how to post you will be hearing from me more often. Dawn in Ohio.

Hi Dawn and everyone! I just finished my Arthur, and I used the rough stone on the outer walls and the roof tile slate. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE how it turned out, will post photos when our friend can come over and take them for me.

My next project is an Orchid that I'm donating to a charity auction, and I'm doing it the same as the Arthur. I used regular grout with a bit of aileens tacky glue, and it looks awesome!

After that, will be my Willowcrest, which I'll do with regular block, in buff/ sandstone brick compound.

All I can say is these look 10 times better in person than in photos, and I am going to buy a couple more houses just to keep using them! They are so easy, I can use them even when I'm having a clumsy hand day from MS. If I goof it up, it scrapes right off and I redo it.

I'm using a stencil spray from Michael's, and it does fine. It's also at most craft stores.

Peggi uses a pray adhesive with her stencils, I think she uses it a few times before having to respray. What I really liiked, besides being able to reuse the same stencil, was how much cleaner it comes off, I had some of the "Magik" stencil tape (paper) tear & not come off without having to dig it off & smear my "bricks".

Yes that's what happened to me with the magic brik, that is the reason I went looking for something better and came across the Bromley stencils and loved them. You must use a stencil adhesive to stop the compound from leaking underneath the mortar lines, I use a spray adhesive from stencil ease but any non water based (so it won't wash off when you rinse the stencil) repositionable adhesive will work. I am able to use the stencil approximately 6 times before I have to reapply the adhesive. It's very fast. I have done a walled garden that I take to shows so that you could touch the finished project. Let me know if you would like to see a photo and I will try and work out how to post it. Dawn in Ohio.

Hi Holly,

I wasn't sure if it was permitted, I usually do but I didn't want to break any rules. Could you tell me how to post details on my profile page please? I do carry Greenleaf kits in my real store.

Dawn in Ohio

http://www.dollsandminis.com Bricks and Mortar store

http://www.dollsandminis.net Online store

If you click on "My Controls", over on the left side of the page is a menu and somewhere down the side is a section where you can edit your profile page, and I believe you'll find a place to put your site links. Mini of our members with stores or other external sites (blogs, albums, etc) put links in their siggie lines.