Can you spackle over wallpaper?

NotKateHepburn

While I adore the wall paper I used (scrapbook paper) and even though I followed directions to a t on the mucilage container, it buckled badly.

Can I just spackle over it? Will I have to seal it again to do so?

I'm so upset! There is no way to fix it and no way to get more of the same paper.

I also have paperclay. If I don't use the spackle can I use that?

I just don't want it all falling down once it dries lol

Thanks!

Edited by NotKateHepburn

I don't see why not, a coat of primer, might work better though just in case. Or you could scrape it off. Next time try using matte varnish before pasting. :o

Oh my -- sure you're disappointed. I wouldn't just paint over bubbled paper 'cause the bubbles/creases will show and might even get worse from the moisture. I'd try to it to get the worst of it off. Then use something like Modpodge to seal it or you could just use a basic paint primer. Next time, prime the walls before you paper and try using a regular border roller to smooth it and if you're using scrapbook paper, you might also use a spray fixative on it before putting it on the walls.

Depending on how large the house is, maybe you can put cardstock templates over it and wallpaper those with a different paper? That way you get a whole new wall surface basically.

Im sure your disappointed, I would be too. I hate when that happens and I dont know exactly what causes it. I only had it happen to me once, on the Glencroft and that was the main reason I sold it and got rid of it. I never understood why it happened either. I used the same technique Ive used for all of my other houses to wallpaper it.

I think spackle has a bit of moisture to it. If you put that over the paper, it may loosen it. then you might have a bigger mess! Maybe ought to go with the template idea. Good Luck! :o

If the wallpaper glue is water soluble, Spackle or PaperClay could loosen it enough for it to peel and possibly crack loose when it dries.

For a Spackle surface on the wall, I'd pull off as much of the paper as possible first. Not sure if I'd paint over the wallpaper remnants with primer or not, but I'm a big fan of gesso for priming, so I'd probably seal it with a thin coat of gesso before spackling.

• Like 1

Thanks y'all.

I did gesso the walls before putting the paper on. I think it had more to do with humidity than I first thought. I live in an area that gets over 80% humidity daily. No idea why I didn't think of that before I did it. That and the paper was thinner than I first thought. The bottom portion, done with a different kind of paper, didn't bubble at all.

I'm gonna scrape it off, prime again and use spackle for plaster walls. Will take 2 days to dry but at least it's warm here lol

I may do the template in the bathroom though. It's a small house, the Fairfield.

Thanks again! You sure learn a lot the first time you do this dont ya?

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that I have the same house, Fairfield. I was given it by one of our members. The wallpaper was pealing and she had started to take it off, so i had to deside what to do. I used spackle, and it look amazing. Since the house is already put together it was much easier to use and less time consuming.

I peeled off what i could and used gesso to seal anything left. The white under some of the wallpaper actually looks nice when sealed with gesso. LOl

I have had the spackle on for a while now and had no problems, i just did thin coats enough to cover what was underneath. I love this process now, and Im planning on using this again.

On hint , i broke off the arm on my tool so i could get in easier, or you can use old credit cards.

Good luck, i will post pics soon of my house. I just cant do it from home as my computer will not take the pictues anymore, so i have to do it from work.

Im also working on making my own windows with skinny sticks, they look great too.

Jenn

Thanks again! You sure learn a lot the first time you do this dont ya?
And the second, and the third time, too; I'm STILL learning...BTW, Warm water with white vinegar will help loosen the wallpaper so it'll scrape off.

On hint , i broke off the arm on my tool so i could get in easier, or you can use old credit cards.

Thankfully my house is not glued together yet. I'll prolly have to do the corners afterwards though. I have long dentist tools that are pretty good at getting into tiny places. Hope they work in this instance!

Can't wait to see pics!

And the second, and the third time, too; I'm STILL learning...BTW, Warm water with white vinegar will help loosen the wallpaper so it'll scrape off.

Wonderful hint! Worked like a charm on those last bits that wouldn't budge. Thanks!

Most of it peeled right off. If you can believe it, some of the glue still wasn't dry...3 days later!

some of the glue still wasn't dry...3 days later!
Well there's your problem with the buckling! I use regular premixed wallpaper paste (the stuff you hang paper in your 1:1 scale house with) and apply it in a thin, even layer with a 1" paint brush. Once I lay the paper on the dh wall I use a damp rag to pat it smoothly over the wall and then I have a wee wooden brayer people use for wallpaper borders that I use to roll out the bubbles and smooth the potential wrinkles. Then I use the dap rag carefully to clean off any paste leaks and let it dry for however many days it takes (I live in N FL and it's humid here, too).