RGT - Queen Anne Dollhouse

Guest Valerie

Thanks for your comments on my Queen Anne, Margarita! I've found it easier to build than any of the other houses I've done .... just quite a bit larger so it takes up more space. I got a really great deal on my kit several years ago .... only $400 for both boxes on ebay. I chose to pick it up rather than have it shipped, but combined the trip to Pennsylvania with another project I wanted to do and everything worked out perfectly. It's been waiting for me to finish Emma's Marquam Hill Mansion and my Bellingham Farmhouse. Oh, yes, I guess there were a couple of workshops in there too! :D

Marcia in Fremont, OH

http://www.picturetrail.com/miniatureoma

Oh my gosh marcia!!!!! Your other projects are incredible as well!!!!! Awesome job! I love how you added the rooftop hot tub and fence on the marquam hill and the other changes you made. Beautiful color as well. You are very talented! It's really cool to see what people make out of the same basic kits. :D margarita

• 4 months later...

Hi I just joined this forum in hopes of getting some guidance in building my newly bought Queen Anne dollhouse. I will need all the advice and help that I can get. I don't know where to even start. Any help will be appreciated. I am also wondering where do you all get your inspiration for the colors of your Queen Anne's. I don't know what color they shoud be. I look forward to reading any and all postings about dollhouse building. Thanks in advance.

I don't know what color they shoud be.
start by picking a few you love and seing how they look together

Check your local library for copies of the "Painted Ladies" books to get ideas, and Google the paint sites for color wheels & palettes to inspire you (like Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc).

Hi I just joined this forum in hopes of getting some guidance in building my newly bought Queen Anne dollhouse. I will need all the advice and help that I can get. I don't know where to even start. Any help will be appreciated. I am also wondering where do you all get your inspiration for the colors of your Queen Anne's. I don't know what color they shoud be. I look forward to reading any and all postings about dollhouse building. Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome! Congrats on your Queen Anne, it's an awesome house. Have fun choosing your colors. I keep going back and forth as to how i will decorate my queen anne. Sometime i think i want a darker color for the house itself other times i want light colors. I won't be building mine for a while so i think once i finally see colors that i like i will start keeping a notebook for ideas. Have fun building your house! and do choose the colors taht you love....such as your favorite color for the house itself then complimentary colors for all of your trims! I want to use 4-5 different colors for my house when the time comes! For rooms that would be "tight" to decorate, perhaps paint or wallpaper the individual panels before you glue the pieces together. Use good wood glue (i use titebond) and plenty of masking tape. Weight down each section of flooring as you add the floors to help prevent warping (I use paint cans and such). With the 3/8 inch plywood homes i actually glue and nail my pieces together for more strength, especially with the heavy houses. Dry fit your pieces before you glue them and really look closely at you diagrams if you have them. Read each instruction more than once and make sure you "see" and understand each one. For my Federal by RGT's, I did what made sense to me...i placed the side panels of the house with the doorways toward the front of the house turns out they were meant to go to the back. By then it was to late to change them, but I was happier with the look anyway. Don't let the project overwhelm you, there is ALOT to the QA. Just start with one thing at a time...foundation first.... :rolleyes: Have fun!!! Can't wait to see photos of your house! Margarita

Weight down each section of flooring as you add the floors to help prevent warping (I use paint cans and such).
Textbooks work great for this, I saved my nursing school textbooks because they are big, heavy & FLAT!

With the 3/8 inch plywood homes i actually glue and nail my pieces together for more strength,

I glue & staple the 1/8" plywood in the Greenleaf kits.

By then it was to late to change them, but I was happier with the look anyway.
(Psst, it's what we refer to as "bashing", it's OK)

Don't let the project overwhelm you

There is nothing that can't be fixed with glue, paint or trim.

Guest Valerie

Welcome Allison and congratulations on the purchase of your QA. I finally began construction of mine and have just completed the foundation and am now sanding and priming interior walls. The QA is my first try at building a dollhouse so it has been a little intimidating.

In regard to choosing colors, I was a little concerned too about having to make that decision - so many choices. Benjamin Moore paints has a brochure of historical colors specifically geared towards Victorians which may at least help in narrowing down your color choices.

Good luck and have fun with your QA.

Valerie

California

If you are currently working on this dollhouse, or have it stuffed away in a closet, hesitant to start the kit, or if you are just thinking about building this fabulous house, you may be interested in joining the Queen Anne Yahoo group. This group started about a year ago by another miniaturist can be very motivating, helpful and a lot of fun sharing for anyone interested in the Real Good Toys Queen Anne Dollhouse kit. So if the QA is the house for you I would like to invite you to join us at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueenAnneDollhouse/

Valerie

California

Hi Valerie, I reactivated my yahoo account yesterday and tried to post today...it still said that i was "hard bouncing" so i went into the email portion and reactivated that...still says hard bouncing and won't let me post...i'll try again later today or tomorrow. i was able to view the gallery yestday....wow, there are some BEAUTIFUL QA's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Margarita

Thanks for all of your tips. I'm still a little nervous taking on such a big house, but very excited at the same time. I do have a question. Some of you put your houses together and then paint or wallpaper and some of you paint and wallpaper before. Can you give me some advice on your experiences with both? Thanks.

Allison

Some of you put your houses together and then paint or wallpaper and some of you paint and wallpaper before.

I do it both ways, depending on how easy it is to get to the room after assembly and how I'm going to do it, since I'm a sort of bash-as-you-go builder...

Allison, like Holly says it depends on the house. Some houses, I have to add the wallpaper first and then other times, I do it after I build the house. As you assemble the house, check and see if the room will be easy enough to access later to add wallpaper paint and trim. If not, you should do it before.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

My Queen Anne should be here day after tomorrow. I was hoping someone could give me some color combinations that they have used in the past for their Queen Anne. I checked out a book on Painted Ladies, but when I go to the paint store all the colors start to look the same after a while. I'm having trouble deciding on my colors. A little guidance please.

Allison

How about main color, tint of that color (lighter), shade of that color (darker) and complement of that color (the one directly opposite it on a color wheel, check your paint company sites)? Plus a neutral (black, gray or white)

I definitely have the room but not the $. my daughter is in love with the queen anne as am I. we plan to get one someday soon. maybe in april when the mini place has their 50% off sale? :lol: I would want to get some professional opinions on the exterior paint. i would want it painted like one of the painted laidies in san francisco! lots of colors but i'm not good at working with multiple exterior colors. i get confused when i think about wether the railings should be the trim or house color!LOL , construction would come to a complete standstill if i threw even one more color into the decision :D:D:( -holly

My Queen Anne arrived to today. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm going to stay up reading and rereading the directions. They look fairly simple enough, but looks can be decieving. I'm amazed at how well packed and organized the house came. All the parts for a particular step and grouped together and the pieces are already precut. I'm still fretting over the exterior colors, but I have to prime first so a I still have a little time. Wish me luck. I'll try to take pictures as I go and post them to let you all see what's going on.

Allison

Congratulations on getting your QA!!!! It's so exciting when it arrives isn't it?! I can't wait to see pictures of your progress! I won't be building mine for some time and have also been undecided about colors. I really can't wait to see your progress! margarita

• 3 months later...

Marcia, after looking at your photos of the QA, I can't wait to start mine. I noticed that you are completing your rooms on the first floor. Is this an easier way than waiting until the house is fully constructed to complete to add the finishing touches? I have been afraid to try that for fear, I will mess something up while finishing the rest of the construction.

Your house is to die for, the colors are striking. You inspire me !

• 8 years later...

Hi everyone!-I'm a single mom of two and we just bought the queen Anne.  my daughter, son and myself are super excited- this will be our first attempt at building a dollhouse :D  we became interested in miniatures after seeing miniature space on youtube then it evolved to the fascination with the dollhouses, we will keep you all posted on our progress :D

Elishma, welcome and congratulations on your purchase of the RGT Queen Anne.  It is such a beautiful house and goes together so easily.  I am on my second. The first one was to be the one and only house I was going to build, but once I had the exterior completed I had an offer for it I could not resist.  The second one now under construction has a 3-story addition and a 3-story carriage house.  In regard to that one and only idea I now have so many projects going in 1", 1/2" and 1/4" scales I don't know if I am coming or going most the time.

Have a wonderful time with your QA and don't let those 4,500 shingles scare you off (yes, I counted them on the first house).

Valerie