Hot Glue Scare!!

Diana M.

I have read so many times through out this forum that Hot Glue is a no no! Then if it is so bad, why would a company recommend using it to build one of their dollhouses? I didn't know about this forum when I decided to build, I was just following the instructions and tips that came with my kit. I'm so very worried right now that I could just cry! I have a nice dollhouse that took me a year to build and now I have to worry about it crumbling?? This was not clear in the instructions and it just seems unfair to me. Is there a slight chance that my dollhouse won't fall apart or am I facing a disaster in the near future?

I appologize if I sound rude, that is not my intent. I am just so very, very worried!!!

Please tell me my dollhouse will be OK! A lot of sweat and tears went into building it!

Thank you,

Diana

Worried in WV

It's ok Diana,

Take a deep breath! Yes, there are horror stories about hot glue, my Pierce is a good example. I have no clue how long ago it was built or how it was stored, but yes it IS falling apart. Why the $%@# Greenleaf recommends it is a mystery. If your house isn't handled or moved around a lot, you may be fine for a long time! I'm assuming it's totally decorated, eh? Maybe some other more experienced people will be along with a better idea, but I'd say check it every now and then for signs of the glue losing hold. When and if you find any loose spots, you may be able to scrape some of the hot glue off and spot glue it with wood glue, maybe reinforce the main shell with staples or small nails? Folks, what do you think?

Which house is it?

We all learned the hard way NOT to use hot glue. It's fine for quicky and dirty repair jobs, or things you don't mind having fall apart down the road....but if you want your dollhouse to last along time and hand it down to grandkiddies, please use wood glue. To remove the wood glue, scraping or using a hair dryer will help.

Good luck with your dollhouse....

Wolfie

It does depend on many factors - how hot the glue gun was, how much prep (the less the better) to the surface etc, the weather (not kidding here in California in the heat hot glue joints soon dry up). You may be fine for quite a while. Look on the bright side - If you want to remodel later then you will be able to - not so much of an option when using some wood glues.

Lisa R.

Back when the instructions were first written hot glue guns melted at much higher temperatures and the glue that was used made to melt at those higher temperatures lasted longer. Along came the product safety people who declared that since so many people, including children, were using hot glue guns for all sorts of crafts we must protect everyone with lower-temperature glue guns and glue (which, BTW, can STILL produce nasty burns!), and that's the glue most people have been using that doesn't last and can cause houses to self-destruct. Rewriting instructions, like retooling the kits, is a lengthy and $omewhat labor- & cost-intensive process. We all hope that, in time, the instructions will be changed to reflect the superior properties of carpenter's wood glue over hot glue. In the meantime, Diana, keep a bottle of wood glue handy and like a bunny reinforce any glued joints you might notice coming loose in future, and your house ought to be just fine.

When and if you find any loose spots, you may be able to scrape some of the hot glue off and spot glue it with wood glue, maybe reinforce the main shell with staples or small nails?
If you haven't sided the house, something I do even with the carpenter's wood glue, is to reinforce the corners and roof with heavy-duty staples.

Eventually there may come a time when you'll want to redecorate your dollhouse, and that would be an excellent time to reglue/ reinforce, if needed.

Hot glue is recommended because it does not have the wait time other glues have. For the majority of people speed (instant gratification) is very important and they would not buy a dollhouse if it took a month to build and most of that time was spent waiting for parts to dry. It is very rare that I find a partly assembled house where the builder has used any sandpaper or primed before painting. I have tried to take apart a couple of houses put together with hot glue and enough glue was used, as far as I can see the glue holds them together just fine! No mater what glue you use if you do not use enough or get good contact between surfaces the house will fall apart eventually.

Thanks Ladies! My house is a Beacon Hill and it is completely finished and decorated. I haven't started my album yet. Well one thing is for sure...I'm not moving my dollhouse anymore!! It is staying right where it is! The temperature of the room is fine, it doesn't get too hot or anything.

All future dollhouses will be built using wood glue! Lesson Learned!! Worst case senerio...I'm remodeling or picking up the pieces??

I'm still upset that I didn't know this in advance though. The thought of my dollhouse falling apart just breaks my heart! I do like the stapling process mentioned. That would help me to feel more secure about my dollhouses!

Thanks again for all your recommendations and your support!

I'm feeling just a little better.

Diana

I had a Beacon hill that was 23 years old and stored in Unfavorable conditions and I could NOT take the hot glue off and then complete the building of the house (This was a kit that a grandfather started to give his grand daughter and years later that Grand daughter had a daughter and the kit still was not put together and I was hired). Anyway, I had only 3 weeks to complete it and I tell you, some of the hot glue NEVER did come off of that house. What I did was go over some parts with wood glue to help reinforce it but sheesh, the Grandfather used hot glue and I could not remove it with vinegar, blow dryer, or prying so I left it.

What I am saying is that yeah, some of it may deteriorate, but this also happens to wood glues which is why I really love to use probond and titebond. Regular wood glue can deteriorate too ( I just turned down completing a dollhouse kit for a customer who needed it in 11 days for Xmas because the house was not stored properly and ALL of the joints started coming apart as I cleaned the house of years of dust).

If you take care of your house, storing it properly and keeping dust away, you will be fine for years in most cases. But don't feel super bad because as I stated, even some wood glues don't hold up.

Dry those tears away ;)

Oh, thank you Tracy!! I needed to hear that! I can stop stressing so much about it!

Thanks for sharing your story about the 23 year old Beacon, I did not realize it had been around that long.

Have a good evening!

Diana

No Problem. I was actually kinda shocked an disappointed about the one house from 2 weeks ago. It HAD been assembled with wood glue 100% and it started coming apart so I had to call him and let him know I could not complete the house by the 22nd. I was gonna have to clean the house and then reassemble the entire thing PUS some parts were missing. It was a very old dura craft kit and there was no way to get the parts I needed in time either to complete the house.

I know at Greenleaf they have VERY old kits in there warehouses that were assembled using glue guns and those are STILL up and not falling apart too so it just all depends honey.

Rewriting instructions, like retooling the kits, is a lengthy and $omewhat labor- & cost-intensive process. We all hope that, in time, the instructions will be changed to reflect the superior properties of carpenter's wood glue over hot glue.

I am currently working on just that. Since the holidays, I have not had a great deal of contact with Dean, but within the next month or so, I would like to have a consensus of ideas about the wording of certain parts of all the instructions anyone has. I have wondered about the "glue" issue myself as to why the hot glue is mentioned when builders usually have bad stories about it, and from an editorial point of view, it may be that some people do want a fast build and some care more about longevity. I think the least should be done is mention the pros and cons, with strong warning of the bad points of hot glues and when and where to use them. If I am not mistaken, the warm up sheet which comes with the kits has a brief synopsis of glue types and to not use hot glue except for things like shingles and siding, but I am not sure of how uniform those instructions are from one kit to the next.

At any rate, I personally am not experienced enough in building to edit the instructions to everyones likings and am just basically doing a thorough proof read and working on illustrations to help the text along on the tough spots. I would genuinely appreciate the help of members on suggestions of how the text could be better.

Of course, if you message me with your suggestions, I will save them as references to what needs addressed and probably include them in the preliminary drafts. More on this after I hear back from Dean, though.

One of the first things the building team did with our first Arthur build was to critique the instructions, so I'm very, very glad to see your post. I had read and paraphrased the info about the change in the hot glue formulation. I do think that spots of hot glue to hold parts together whilst the wood glue dries & cures is a good suggestion, although I think most of us prefer using masking tape.

Some kits' instructions also recommend white tacky glue for windows. A lot of people don't read the instructions all that well, unfortunately; I had to build all new windows for the Laurel I rehabbed because the original builder used hot glue to assemble ALL of it, including the windows!

I'm glad to hear that the gluing instructions will be updated - letting the customers know the pros and cons of the different glue options sounds like a good route to take. Greenleaf clients can then make an informed decision on what will work best for them. :o

Diana, you have gotten a lot of good advice from everyone that wrote in this thread. Im just throwing in my two cents.

The very first house I built, I built it with hot glue and not the high temp one but the low temp and ten years later, it is still hard as a rock and sitting in my mother in laws house. Not one thing has popped off it it. The house came out perfect but I didnt like the finishing because I didnt know that much about dollhouses back then.

Dont panic about your house. I use wood and tacky glue now because I like the finish they produce better but just because you used hot glue, does not mean your house will crumble. I used wood glue for the assembly of my Arthur and some time ago the porch railing popped off. Go figure.

Thanks Gina, I appreciate you telling me that! I'm not as worried as I was in the beginning when I saw all the threads about hot glue and how bad it was. I won't lie, I was freaking out! But after hearing what a few of the ladies said, I do feel much better. And I feel even a little more better after reading about your 10 year old dollhouse! :wub:

Thanks so much!

Have a good evening,

by the way...I love your Beacon Hill. I have always liked those colors together (exterior)

Diana -

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your Beacon Hill.

My dad built my BH for me in 1994 (he used wood glue), and it's holding up nicely. Up here in Canada though we don't have too much problem with high temperatures. The air is also quite dry.

You've gotten advice and comments from some of the very best dollhouse builders anywhere. I've nothing to add. I'm sure your house will hold together nicely.

Hugs

-Susanne