siding help

Luanne

I am working on the westville and need some help please- Should I add the house trims and windows on first or put on the siding first? Should the siding be as long as the house, so that the house trims can be on top of the siding or should I fit the siding next to the trim ? I haven't had luck searching for the answer. thank you for your valuable input.

Luanne

Ah, the Westville! The first house I ever sided, and the one that taught me I prefer to butt the siding up to the trim, NOT install the trim on top of the siding. It added just enough extra thickness overall to interfere with the gingerbread trim over the front porch. I would lay the trims on the house and trace around them all and then install the siding within the traced lines and paint it, sand & paint your trims and install them. If you have the suxury of time and scrapwod, you can play around with the scraps to see how you like the way it looks lapped or flush-butted. If you aren't planning to use the gingerbread trim under the eaves it won't matter.

Welcome Luanne!

Sorry, I don't have advice, as I haven't done siding yet. Just wanted to say hi and welcome.

You are in the right place for help. Havanaholly definitely knows her way around a dollhouse, and I'm sure there will be others along soon to share their advice.

Good luck - the Westville is great house!

Welcome to the community, Luanne!

I'm working on the Washington 2.0 siding. I've tack-glued the trims on with spots of rubber cement. When the siding is all glued, I'll remove the trim before painting the siding. Then the painted trim will have the remnants of rubber cement removed and be permanently glued into place.

I helped to finish one house where the trim was glued in place before painting. It wasn't fun trying to keep everything tidy, even with a large roll of painter's tape at hand.

...Havanaholly definitely knows her way around a dollhouse...Good luck - the Westville is great house!
I don't know how definitely that is, but she has built a couple of them and has learned from mistake; so if it seems like she knows a lot, you can imagine all the mistakes & "oopsies" it took to teach her!lol