Vent

kellee

When my children were little I did day care in my home. That worked out just fine. I had 5 regular children that would come in the morning, and their moms would pick them up after 5PM. It worked out very well. My kids had nice little playmates and the playmates had a home environment.

I also worked part time at night at Sears Catalog. I don't know if they have that anymore, but it was easy work. There is also telemarketing - not a job I liked, but it paid the bills.

Call the Salvation Army - they are most helpful in a crises. You need to get help NOW lady. Especially with ill children and a husband who may be off work soon due to health problems.

Do you have any family you can ask for some temporary help?

Never be afraid to ask.

Gina

I am going to go around today to the vet clinics and put apps in... I never thought of it until Hubby came home last night and asked me what it was I wanted done to maddie.. I told him a microchip. He said he thinks one of the guys at work can get it done for a few bucks as his wife works at a vet clinic and she does nothing with the animals but get the supplies and so forth. ! So, I am going to head out today & Monday to put apps in at the vet offices, we have a ton around here.

Hubby spoke with the person handlng his case yesterday and within 5 minutes had an answer to his off work situation.! Something the attorney did not know and said would be hard to get the info. Well, Hubby just asked the questions he wanted answers to and got the answers.! Soo... at least we know what will be coming in when he goes off work.! There is not alot we can do until he is taken Off work right now. He sees the Neuro Surgeon on Thursday, and then depending what he says may have to have another procedure done.... or they will stop these as this is the Last resort before surgery.! He always siad he would not do surgery... but he has been in pain since 1992. He is tired of living in pain and is ready to do the surgery is it will help.! This ime of year since it is very cold he is in alot of pain.!

Kellee

Why not do typing at home or get your education in medical coding and you can do that at home too!

just a thought..

Wish you much luck! I think it is always hard on everyone this time of the year!

Jennifer, I would love to do something at home, I just have no clue where to start looking for this. I wish I would have done medical coding or something like that years ago.. I have no clue where to go for any of this stuff.

kellee

Kellee, if it seems to be the hours they can't work with, have you asked any of them what hours they could, or would be willing to work with? Some companies don't mind slightly off hours, if they are aware of your situation, [kids home from school], ahead of time. Some companies allow parents to go in a few minutes early, maybe not take lunch, and not leave till the last minute that you can get by with.

Also, it may not be a great job, but have you tried any daycare centers, school lunch rooms, school libraries, or places like that? Around here, alot of mothers work at those types of jobs, because they can get off when the kids do.

And, around here, there are some people that do at home work for some of the companies. Things like typing, doing company newsletters, company mailings, etc. No, not the type of 'work at home' junk that you see all over the web - these are honest to goodness local companies that may not be large enough to have a full time office employee take the time to do some things like that, so they pay stay at home mothers either by the hour, or by the specific job to do those things.

Alot of Dr's and dentists offices also pay stay at home mothers to do note typing for them. And, our local college has alot of jobs that they 'hire out'.

I'm just suggesting that maybe you call around, look for other alternatives than a regular job at '9 to 5' companies. There may be something in your area available that will allow you to keep your schedule with your children, even though it may not pay quite as much.

The companies around here want you to be available at any time and that is just not workable for me. I put my app in yesterday for the neighboring school district, and need to get our district next week.! I would LOVE to do something at h ome. I just dont know where to look for these types of companies and I dont know many people so I have no connections.! I have no clue where to call to find something like that... if I did I would be on the phone all day long looking for something.!

Kellee

I just caught up with this topic. Having "been there, done that", since both Timmy & Azck are in school you could be available to work the "graveyard shift", which often pays LOTS better. That gets you housekeeping, security & food service positions in the hospital, Greeter or floor clerk positions in 24/7 places like Super Wal-Mart, Target or Big K. I worked nights in state hospitals and was TRAINED on site in patient care, which looks awesome on a resume when job-hunting later on (plus there are all sorts of training opportunities available on the job).

If working nights isn't going to work with your biological clock, a lot of state agencies are always needing clerical staff with filing & basic computer skills.

Check with local churches to see if they need office staff or nursery help.

Hospital, nursinghome and school cafeteria staff usually require a health-card from the local health department, just like any restaurant worker.

Check out small printshops; I learned the bindery trade on the job!

Does your school system have a free breakfast & lunch program? Our kids had to go on that for a couple of years, it freed up almost enough money to keep the lights, water & phone on!

Good luck and {{{BIG HUGS}}}.

Kellie, There is a lot of good advice here. I had the same trouble looking for a job this year. Try employment agencies or employment office(around here its called job service). Convergys (telemarking company) does let employees work at home after 6 mos at the office. Check with small business owners, too. Some may need only a few hours of help a day, but can't find anyone cause they want more hours.

There is a federal program called Workforce Investment Act (WIA) that may help you. It is suppose to pay you while being trained to learn new jobs--I'm not sure of all the requirements, it may be for dislocated workers but I think it is suppose to help with disadvantaged individuals also. Not sure which state you are from, but you should be able to check with your local unemployment or family & children service office to find out more about the program and if you qualify.

If the program works like I remember, it will not only pay you while you are being trained, but train you to re-enter the work force. Again, the hours may cause you a problem, but it still may be worth checking into.

Well, I have put out about 5 resumes, and I have lost count on applications. I did have an interview today. But they want people from 2-3 p/m until midnight. I know there has to be something out there for me, I just cant take a job that I will not be able to see my children other than weekends.! Cant do it.!

Hubby had a Dr. appt today and the Dr. took him off work.! He said since the porcedure 2 weeks ago he has gotten worse.!!

Kellee

I am totally FOR trying to get a job that is conducive to you seeing your kids on a regular basis. But if your Dh isnt going to be working and you have Mom there to help.... you might want to consider taking a job that will (for the time being) make it harder to spend time with the kids. Shift work pays really good money and no one says you have to do it forever. You might be able to change shifts after a little while or search for another job while you are working that one. You just will only be able to do interviewing in the late mornings/Afternoon because you will be sleeping .My dh works those hours. He sees the girls on his days off and in the afteroons before he goes to work. It isnt QUANTITY time but QUALITY time. He has been doing that for about 13 yrs. They have gotten used to it and he makes time with/for them on his days off.

Temporary Temporary Temporary.

How long is the Dr keeping Dh out of work? Will he be able to collect worker`s comp?

I am just worried about you and yours. With his income out of the picture for awhile it is going to get harder then it already is.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, a little update.... Hubby had a procedure done 2 weeks ago that they shot dye in his disks.! WE were at the Hopital about 6 hours it was outpatient. Then last week we went to talk to the Dr. He has 2 torn disks and 1 very swelled disk. The Dr. wants to do surgery , says he is a good canidiate. He is very worried about this surgery.

Hubby spoke with our Mortgage company, and they are working with us, putting the mortgage on a "hold" until March. We are still waiting to hear from Comp, Hubby spoke with the caseworker yesterday and they should have an answer by the end of next week on compensation... Oh I wish they would hurry!! Caseworker told Hubby that they are waiting on all the medical information from the Dr. After seeing that I think we will be ok.!

Hubby is not feeling any better since being taken off work. ! He still hurts alot.

I spoke with a caseworker downtown for assistance and until we have something from Comp saying we were approved or denied for compensation they cant help. If we are approved for compensation thru Comp then we will be eligible for food assistance.. (I think)

I also called the school and asked for help concerning the big event this month. She said she could not guarantee anything... so I called a friend and asked her if she knew where we could go... if the school does not help then I will get back to her and pray she can help.

I spoke with the water co. and I have until Jan 1 to pay it off, I am praying we hear good news from Comp.

The electric & gas are at disconnect but I called and talked to them... and they are trying to work with us, they are not as helpful as the mortgage co. But I was told I could get a letter from the Boys Dr. and then they cant shut the utilities off.!

I really hated asking for help.! I honestly thought we were going to be ok this winter... but I also did not think the Dr. would take him off work.!

Please pray we hear good news from Comp.!!!

I just wanted to update you all on what is going on...

Kellee

Sending postive thoughts your way Kelly, hoping that things will actually work out as fast as possible so that your hubby won' have to be in pain any more!!!!

HUGS to the whole family!

Awww Kellee, I know having to go and ask for help can make you feel so degraded! BTDT, BUT, it's times like these that that's what it's THERE for! You have to do what you have to do to get through. Keep your chin up, things WILL get better!

HUGS!

yes, think of this as a bump in the road. You had to ask and you got some results. Be a nag with some of the social service agencies. They have alot of people to help and you will get lost in the shuffle.

I hope his surgery is a success and everything will work out fine! I will be thinking about you.

Kellee, I've been thinking of you and hoping that a job will come your way. I dont know if you have Merry Maids in your area, or a similar house cleaning service, but such a company might offer good part time work. I used them a number of years ago and they were so nice, just regular people, mostly moms working part time. They get paid and tips. Good luck. Alyce