Medieval Candle Sconce Tutorial

kellyannmo

My friends will be here shortly... but I wanted to share this tutorial I did with you all.

Feedback is welcome :) This is the first time I have done a tutorial.

post-6564-0-79570000-1408230050_thumb.jp

What you'll need: A Candle socket (this one is 7/16" which is a bit large for 1/2 scale... there are smaller ones, but this is what I had on hand), flame tip light blubs, a piece of strip wood stained (I like using 1/16 x 1/4 bass wood), something for the back plate (I am using a scrap piece from a Buttercup house), a bead cap, a tiny drill, and glue ... the best for this project is E6000.

post-6564-0-57771600-1408230079_thumb.jp

First: paint your back plate... I like black. Cut 2 pieces of strip wood the exact size. Drill a tiny hole one piece of your strip wood (please ignore that I drilled a hole in both pieces), and also drill a hole in your back plate. Carve out a small channel in your second strip wood piece.... it doesn't have to be neat, you won't see it once the light is finished... make sure not to go all the way through the wood though.

post-6564-0-52289400-1408230104_thumb.jp

Thread the wire of your candle socket through your bead cap, add a dab of glue to the candle base and let it dry for a few minutes. Then thread the wire through the piece of strip wood with the hole... add another dab of glue to the bottom of your bead cap and again let it dry for a minute. Glue your second piece of strip wood to the first piece, the side with the channel will be the side you glue to your first piece... the wire to your candle socket should be fitted in the channel and the wire should come out the back of your light. Let this dry.

post-6564-0-49628500-1408230179_thumb.jp

Next thread your wire though the hole you drilled in your back plate and glue the arm to the back plate... let dry. I dribbled a bit of white glue on the candle to look a bit like dripping wax. Paint or stain the front of the sconce arm, add your light blub.... and.....

post-6564-0-55006600-1408230212_thumb.jp

Attach to your dollhouse lighting :)
(I do see some glue I need to clean up.. so ignore that... LOL)

This entire sconce takes me about 30 minutes. Enjoy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...