Pictures of the awesome fireplace I made for $2!

I am super excited! My fireplace, which I based off of a tutorial on this forum, turned out AWESOME!!! Thank you, Tracy (Minis On The Edge)!

The only things I changed on the fireplace were: Instead of paper clay, I used "Toothpaste Putty" made from toothpaste, white glue, water, and cornstarch. I hand colored my stones with markers and then wiped over them with black, brown, and reddish oil paint on Q-tips and paper towels. Also, I used foam and cardboard layers glued together for the frame. My flickering "fire" is made from part of a battery operated candle tea light, 2 for a dollar at the local dollar store. You just pry off the outside of the candle, and use a dremel to cut off the excess plastic around the lighting unit. Then, mix coffee grinds in with the toothpaste putty and apply it all around the light. (For ashes.) After it dries, glue on the logs and dot the whole thing with black paint. If desired, color the bulb red with a marker.

DO NOT glue the candle/log/ashes piece into the fireplace. You want it to be a removable unit so that you can replace the battery.

Here's a video: http://www.facebook.com/v/10150137425666736

207980_10150137429226736_574486735_6874593_7697688_n.jpg208239_10150137428951736_574486735_6874586_5037695_n.jpg208765_10150137429106736_574486735_6874590_6140839_n.jpg

196822_10150137429186736_574486735_6874591_4815964_n.jpg200564_10150137431261736_574486735_6874639_968833_n.jpg

Way cool, Toni! I had seen Tracy's tutorial on building a fireplace before, but hadn't tried it yet as my house came with a great fireplace and I didn't need to build one from scratch. Yours looks fabulous!

Tracy has some other great tutorials, too.

I don't have the recipe on hand, but the following recipe is another I've used and is pretty much the same, except the other calls for much larger amounts. Just multiply it for the fireplace:

Toothpaste Putty

Ingredients:

•1 tablespoon glue

•2 tablespoons cornstarch

•1/2 tablespoon water

•1/2 tablespoon toothpaste (NOT GEL)

•1-2 drops of food coloring (optional)

Directions:

Mix glue, cornstarch, food coloring and toothpaste together in a small bowl. Add water and stir until the mixture turns into a clump of putty. Toothpaste putty must be used quickly. If you are working on a project, put the putty you aren't using in a damp tupperware container or plastic bag. It will begin to harden in 25 minutes and will be completely dried in 24 hours.

If you are covering a surface, use a rolling pin to roll out sheets like pie crust.

The finished product can be drawn on, painted, sanded, drilled, or carved. Items can be glazed with nail polish to give them a pottery/porcelain look.

(If you have issues with the consistancy, just add water or cornstarch as needed. Also, dusting your hands/surfaces with cornstarch helps with stickiness. I kept a glass of water and paintbrush nearby, especially when drawing in the mortar lines. I used a thin piece of wire for drawing the lines in and painted over with water as needed. Just don't use too much water: your putty with literally melt!)

You did a Fantastic Job on this Toni and Thank You so much for sharing the pictures and letting me know that my tutorial inspired you to create this! I have heard of Cold Porcelain but never the toothpaste Putty so Thanks for sharing that also!! Your Fireplace turned out Wonderfully!! :idea:

Wow, nice job on the fireplace! I like it's rustic character.

Toothpaste putty? That's a new one on me too, but it looks like you've had fabulous results with it! I'm going to have to try that out for myself!

GREAT JOB! WOOT! :idea:

• 7 months later...