Making chimney pots

claireliontamer

I am wanting to make a miniature version of these:

http://www.salvoweb.com/images/userimgs/41948/Chimney-Pots_91115_1.jpg for the top of my house.

I tried this evening with air dry clay but had a bit of a disaster.  I've never worked with clay before, has anyone got any tips?  I'm thinking instead of trying to make them freestanding I need some kind of wooden support in the middle at least part the way up, the thinness of the clay makes them collapse on themselves at the moment. 

Has anyone made anything similar and can guide me?  I have to admit, I saw the shape and stupidly thought it would be fairly simple.......

Instead of trying to deal with thin walls, you could make them solid, gouge out an opening 1/4 to 1/2" deep on top when the clay has set a bit, and paint the inside walls of the resulting well black. 

Smoke and mirrors, eh? :D

• Like 2

What about looking for od chessmen in one of the charity shops and using the pedestal part between the base and the top?  I always thought the miniature candle cup "woodsies": would make nice chimney pots:  http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/products/1302_2110_1473-7435-unfinished_wood_candle_cups.html

• Like 2

What about getting some that really do look like chimney pots!............A couple of ££'s from 'Romney Miniatures' right here in the UK.............sometimes you don't have to be ashamed to say 'Hey I purchased this, doesn't it look great'

Thanks, some great suggestions here.  I will give the solid clay another go today after work.

Mike - I did consider buying some but right at the start of this project I decided that I wanted to make as much myself as possible.  Part of the appeal for me is to learn new skills as I go along and hopefully make it as accurate as possible.  If that means a slight compromise in the quality and a slightly wonky chimney pot then I'm happy with that.  Maybe as I progress and do another house (getting ahead of myself here!) then I may switch priorities around.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, claireliontamer said:

...right at the start of this project I decided that I wanted to make as much myself as possible.  Part of the appeal for me is to learn new skills as I go along and hopefully make it as accurate as possible.  If that means a slight compromise in the quality and a slightly wonky chimney pot then I'm happy with ...

Claire, you are a woman of my persuasion!  IMHO we learn by doing, and we cannot know what we "can't" do until we try and try again.

If you want them out of clay and hollow you can wrap plastic wrap around a dowel (parchment paper or wax paper if it is oven dried clay) and form the clay on that. It will give you something to hold on to and a way to prop it up to dry if needed. Do not use foil on the dowel if using oven baked clay as it can cause the clay to bubble if the clay is thin. 

• Like 2

As a potterer (in my other life) I can tell you what usually happens if you try cylinders in real clay life:

1. Assuming you make them on a wheel stability is not much of an issue as you keep them upright and there is no seam. 

2. Assuming you make them from a slab (rolled out flat piece) you need a core. When using a core you need to account for shrinkage (about 10% - 15% on common clays). What you need is a core that allows a certain shrinkage while being stable enough to hold the weight of the clay. I would make a cardstock cylinder - cut open and taped close. that way, when the clay dries up enough to be stable you can peel the tape open, reduce the cylinder by pushing it together and removing it.

No matter what you do though - dry it upright.  

• Like 2