Hi Everyone!

bianca

I am a new member who has yet to begin collecting. I recently stumbled into the wonderful world of miniatures, and am fascinated by the details in the houses and the way that they are decorated. :p

I am hunting for the perfect house to start with, and appreciate reading through all of your messages. I would love to hear any tips that you would like to share with me. :)

I'm thinking of starting with the Orchid. Although I would love the Garfield, it seems I might be in over my head with that one. It is so interesting to see the different ways that you all have decorated and furnished the same model. I can't wait to start! :)

I live in southern New Jersey (one hour from Cape May, 15 minutes from Philly). I am interested in finding used/vintage furniture. Can anyone recommend a good miniature shop in my area? It would be wonderful to find a small collectable store that I can peruse at my leisure. B)

Thanks! :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

and welcome to your new obsession...ermm..a...hobby!

if you think a Garfield is more than you want to bite off for the first time out

than a smaller house is a good idea

I have not built the Orchard but from what I have seen it would make a nice first time kit. but may I suggest the Arthur or even the Haunted house kit.

The arthur is a good first time build. and has much to offer a new collector

nice sized rooms(4) and a porch.

and although it is called a haunted house kit...it is the sweetest little house.

although the rooms are not very big.

if you are planning a one time build..this will be my only house type thing than

I also suggest you pick a house that yells at you the first time you look at it

one that inspires you to start imagining colors and decorations and ect..

if you find that house...big or small GO FOR IT!

we are all here to help in any way we can.

Im so glad you found us!

nutti :)

Welcome to the forum Bianca! You've come to the perfect place for a beginning with this delightful obsession. This is a wonderful group of knowledgable and friendly folks.

The Orchid is a great first time build. I wanted a Pierce and a Beacon Hill right off the bat, but decided that it would be a good idea if I started with a smaller house to learn the basics and I'm *so* glad I did. I chose the Orchid and found it to be a smooth build that gave me experience in all the things I'd need to know to do a larger house with more skill. The Orchid was great for instant gratification without frustration and it's a nice mid-sized house too--lots and lots of decorating potential. For a first time experience, I couldn't have asked for anything better.

I built the Orchid in a little less than a month and by the time I finished it, I was ready to move onto the Pierce with confidence.

There's pics of my Orchid in my webshots album under "witches house" if you'd like to see them.

Welcome again Bianca! We're happy to have you here and always ready to help.

Deb

Welcome Bianca!! There are so many choices for a first time build . . . any of the smaller houses such as the Orchid or the Arthur and even the Haunted House (which by the way you don't have to make haunted, I didn't)!!

I agree with Nutti, look through all your options, and big or small, go for the one that "steals" your heart! In the end all the houses take time and effort no matter what their size! :)

Welcome to the forum Bianca!  You've come to the perfect place for a beginning with this delightful obsession.  This is a wonderful group of knowledgable and friendly folks.

The Orchid is a great first time build.  I wanted a Pierce and a Beacon Hill right off the bat, but decided that it would be a good idea if I started with a smaller house to learn the basics and I'm *so* glad I did.  I chose the Orchid and found it to be a smooth build that gave me experience in all the things I'd need to know to do a larger house with more skill.  The Orchid was great for instant gratification without frustration and it's a nice mid-sized house too--lots and lots of decorating potential.  For a first time experience, I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

I built the Orchid in a little less than a month and by the time I finished it, I was ready to move onto the Pierce with confidence. 

There's pics of my Orchid in my webshots album under "witches house" if you'd like to see them. 

Welcome again Bianca!  We're happy to have you here and always ready to help.

Deb

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Deb, thanks for the encouragement. I looked at your pics and was amazed that this was your first house; you did a lovely job! :p

May I ask where you acquired the furnishings? I've looked on Ebay, but by the time shipping is factored in, the costs could mount pretty quickly. :)

Thanks again! :)

Welcome Bianca!!  There are so many choices for a first time build . . . any of the smaller houses such as the Orchid or the Arthur and even the Haunted House (which by the way you don't have to make haunted, I didn't)!!

I agree with Nutti, look through all your options, and big or small, go for the one that "steals" your heart!  In the end all the houses take time and effort no matter what their size!  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I looked through your pics, and was in awe. Congratulations on an exquistite restoration! :)

Welcome to the forum!

and welcome to your new obsession...ermm..a...hobby!

if you think a Garfield is more than you want to bite off for the first time out

than a smaller house is a good idea

I have not built the Orchard but from what I have seen it would make a nice first time kit. but may I suggest the Arthur or even the Haunted house kit.

The arthur is a good first time build. and has much to offer a new collector

nice sized rooms(4) and a porch.

and although it is called a haunted house kit...it is the sweetest little house.

although the rooms are not very big.

if you are planning a one time build..this will be my only house type thing than

I also suggest you pick a house that yells at you the first time you look at it

one that inspires you to start imagining colors and decorations and ect..

if you find that house...big or small  GO FOR IT!

we are all here to help in any way we can.

Im so glad you found us!

nutti :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the warm welcome! I had also considered the Arthur, so maybe I'll get both. :)

May I ask where you acquired the furnishings?  I've looked on Ebay, but by the time shipping is factored in, the costs could mount pretty quickly. :)

I'm a junkie, er, I mean, a fond customer at http://www.miniatures.com :) I work really late hours so shopping online is about my only option. Miniatures.com has some great sales and their shipping is somewhere around $14.95---but they give a standard 10% discount for online orders so that usually about covers the shipping costs. You can build up bonus dollars with them too. They're pretty good about processing orders quickly. I get mine within a week of ordering most of the time.

They're having a 20% off sale right now. <giggling> I have another browser window open putting together an order even as we speak.

Deb

Welcome to the Greenleaf forum, Bianca, We are always eager to help get new folks off to a good start. Minis & dollhouses are like potato chips :)

If you want to start really small the Sugarplum is a sweet little house that you can begin with. Later, when you move on to the Garfield, it could become servants' quarters or a caretaker's cottage.

HBS is also closing out the furniture kits, check to see if there are any styles & specific furnishings you'd like to try to make :) Craft Club also sells furniture kits. Northeastern Lumber has a few lasercut wood furniture kits. If you have experience with plastic models, the Chrysnbon line offers wonderful kits to furnish your house in turn-of-the-last-century Sears & Roebuck style.

Corona Concepts also offers tab & slot furniture kits that can be bashed into nicer looking pieces. Both the Sugarplum & Haunted House kits include pieces to make a few furniture items. Both Craft Club & Dolls' House Emporium offer ready-made dh furniture, too; the latter offers free shipping on orders over US$100 (it used to be US$60 :p ). I'm afraid I'm also a HBS addict!

Welcome, Bianca! THe Orchid is a very sweet little house. I have put one together and it was fairly simple, but looks great. I think it is wise to start with a small house first. It's far less intimidating and you'll be much more likely to finish it! Let us know how it all goes! :)

Welcome to the Greenleaf forum, Bianca,  We are always eager to help get new folks off to a good start.  Minis & dollhouses are like potato chips  :)

If you want to start really small the Sugarplum is a sweet little house that you can begin with.  Later, when you move on to the Garfield, it could become servants' quarters or a caretaker's cottage.

HBS is also closing out the furniture kits, check to see if there are any styles & specific furnishings you'd like to try to make  :)  Craft Club also sells furniture kits.  Northeastern Lumber has a few lasercut wood furniture kits.  If you have experience with plastic models, the Chrysnbon line offers wonderful kits to furnish your house in turn-of-the-last-century Sears & Roebuck style.

Corona Concepts also offers tab & slot furniture kits that can be bashed into nicer looking pieces.  Both the Sugarplum & Haunted House kits include pieces to make a few furniture items.  Both Craft Club & Dolls' House Emporium offer ready-made dh furniture, too; the latter offers free shipping on orders over US$100 (it used to be US$60  :lol: ).  I'm afraid I'm also a HBS addict!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all the good advice, Havanaholly. I can't seem to find an HSB website with google. Do you have it? Thanks1 :p

Hi and welcome!

I am not havanaholly but wanted to let you know that hbs is miniatures.com. It stands for hobby buolders supply. I to am also an addict. I really like how they tell you which things are made in america.

I was looking at the orchid too, but if I buy another house I think my dh will move out! :) That is why I tried ( and won ) a haunted house kit! At least it didn't cost him anything. :)

I was looking at the orchid too, but if I buy another house I think my dh will move out!  :) 

<evil grin> Have you pointed out to him that if he moves out, you'll have room for at least three more houses? :)

<hanging head and looking ashamed> Sorry. I tried sitting on my hands but I couldn't resist that one.

Deb

Have you pointed out to him that if he moves out, you'll have room for at least three more houses?

Deb you kill me!! :):):p

How do those bonus dollars at miniatures.com work? I just gained some yesterday when I placed a HUGE order for my Haunted House.

Thanks!

LMAO at Deb and Teresa :) I was actually wondering where you all found room for the houses. I'm thinking of setting up a work table in the spare bedroom.

Thanks for the website, Holly. I've actually been there (am eyeing the $89 bathroom set) :p , and thinking I might need to get a second job!

You've all been so very helpful. Again, I thank you very much! :)

How do those bonus dollars at miniatures.com work?  I just gained some yesterday when I placed a HUGE order for my Haunted House.

You can use the bonus dollars if you place an order when they're not having a sale. Your order has to be at least $75 (after the 10% discount has been deducted) to use the bonus dollars. When you check out, you can specify using the bonus on the order form. I looooooooove their bonus dollar feature. Even if they're not having a sale, I can still save enough money by using my bonus dollars to buy something else. Since I'm handing over my paycheck on the order I'm placing on this sale and not using any of my bonus dollars, I'll rack up enough bonus dollars to save a ton of money on my next order when there's not a sale. Oh, speaking of which, their next sale is a 20% sometime around Thanksgiving and they're having a 26% off sale for one day only at the end of the year. Yes, I have these marked on my calendar. :)

A huge order??? I'm curious! Actually, I'd be bouncing around asking whatcha ordered, but since it's for your haunted house, it's going to be a secret till the contest, right? And they have soooooooo many fun things for the holidays too!

Deb

If he moves out I would have a WHOLE NOTHER ROOM!  But who would I get to watch the kids?  :p A baby sitter would use up all my mini money.  :)

If you let the children fingerpaint with Elmers, it will help keep them in one area. :)

Deb

I think I will keep him. ( a lot less work than unglueing kids) Besides I am still hoping he will build me an addition or at least enclose the garage. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, the spouses of are lives are truly hard to replace, I mean they are "housebroken" :p allready and it takes soooo much time to do that in the first place so eventhough he at times rasies his eyebrows I think I will hang on to him... It was actually "he" who wanted us to have an Aster Cottage to start out with and make a Santa's house out of that sothe next time it is my turn to choos which house "We" should make something into, right?!? The gaunted kit doesn't count since it is a prize :) .

Hugs

Shakyshake@ Nov 12 2005, 8:52 PM  I was looking at the orchid too, but if I buy another house I think my dh will move out!

A couple of years back, my husband threatened to move out if I bought another cat into the house. I told him I'd really miss him. He replied "what do you want to name her?" LOL

Susanne

This is all soooo funny!! I have to keep my hubby around, who else will cook and pay the bills?

Thanks for the bonus dollars tutorial Deb! I have to go shopping now . . . ha ha. . . just doing my Julia Roberts imitation!! Like I didn't spend enough already!

You're right, sorry I can't tell you what my HUGE order included, but you'll find out soon enough!! :D