Electrical

darrellandmelissa

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darrell, I've been reading along in this thread and am amazed at your knowledge! Wow!! I think it's great that you're answering people's questions now because I'm sure a lot of us have the same questions. Now we just have to look here for the answers! :)

I broke down and bought that little brad nail inserter thing. What an excellent investment! Talk about saving one's own sanity! I love it!

Thanks!!

LOL! Yes that little brad thingy inserter is worth its cost if you work with tape wiring. When I first started using the tape system, there was no such tool. I used the smallest needle nose pliers I had to put the things in.

Other fun things was I cut a slit in a piece of plastic material (like a report cover) and tried to position the brad into the pilot hole and tap it with a hammer. This one actually worked pretty good but I had to cut a new plastic "brad insertion assistant" every 5 or 6 brads cuz eventually on of the little devils would flip sideways or something when I tapped it with the hammer and bend up my "tool" so that it would no longer hold a brad straight. Luckily you could cut a LOT of them out of one plastic report cover. I used to have a drawer in my small parts cabinet full of them I went through them so fast. LOL!

I was so glad when I saw CirKits tool come available. I had to try one. And while there are still ways to drop the brads and lose 'em it takes away a LOT of the frustration. And once you've mastered inserting brads to connect tapes you've got the hardest part of tape wiring down. I love it.

Darrell

Darrell, gotta love your ingenuity!! Who would have thought a report cover could be used in such a way! :)

I love the brad inserter! Now, I'm going around seeing what else I can use it for! :D

I love the brad inserter!  Now, I'm going around seeing what else I can use it for!  :)

:D ;) ;) Oh, the visual I got from that statement! I can just see you wandering around the house with your brad setter in hand, laughing maniacally while all the animals in the neighborhood hide in fear.

My brad setter is still in the package waiting patiently for me to start wiring the cottage. But this search for alternative uses sounds promising! Let me know what you come up with!

Deb

I've been wondering about inserting brads into hinge holes & other non-electrical mini building uses.

I was wondering about that too! Those teeny little nails for door hinges made me squint twice and decide to just use glue. I'll have to try the brad setter on the hinges.

Deb

Hi Darrell

Firstly to thank you for your wonderful "pictures in words" which has explained the mysteries of soldering more than I could have hoped. I took courage and tried to instal a lamp this afternoon and can you imagine the excitement when there was "Light" after very little effort. I am completely sold on this system and thank you once again for helping make it so clear. Goodbye brads and eyelets, I am not sad to see you go!!!

Thank you for your welcome to this group, I know I am going to enjoy knowing you.

If you would care to please look at my picture trail site.

Picture Trail

Just wish I had know of the soldering system before struggling with the lights in these houses.

My thanks again Darrell for your generosity in passing on your knowledge which I am sure is appreciated by everyone.

Lavinia

• 2 weeks later...

DID you Hear me!!!

I had myself a big ole fit of dissapointmet.

I just knew as soon as I covered those wires my lights would not work.

:( and they dont. :(

the living room tower works. the new chandelier my Hbby made for me from a christmas decorations work but nothing else. oh and the kitchen

the attic works but the 2nd floor has NOTHING!!!!!!! :(

and of course I knew that I should use cardstock and not glue directly to the wires but I just HAD to do it. :blink:

I mean everyone else has lights with no wires showing it has to be ok....2 or 3 days went on like this while I did everything else working up the nerve.

so I did and now it dont!!!

Dean(DH) told me he WOULD be fixing it. he said I worked too hard for it not to work. aaawwweee :wub:

I have been so proud of myself...but I will say this no more of this for me.

too much stress....if he dont wire it....well too bad so sad!

Im gonna use round wire...I can be creative about hiding the wires!

if I wasnt me it would work. <_< ;)

oh well who has time to work on a house when I just started playing with my secret pal thing. :o

I had my dates mixed up and just have done the smallest bit.

someone really just needs to find my mind....I just know Ive left it somewhere. :blink:

when Ive calmed down and the light is installed I will reveal how we took one Christmas Ornament and made 3 pairs of earrings for Catriona and her friends(which is why it was bought.) a gorgeous chandiler for my Mckinnly and a fancy plant hanger for the porch.

TTFN

nutti :blink:

Nutti, I am so sorry about your problems! How dissapointed you must feel. Yeap, your hubby Dean is a Keeper! This is why me and a couple of my friends still lean towards hardwire. My one friend did tape wire and everything worked perfectly till wallpaper went in also (She used card stock on top of the wire) and we all were sad when they did not work.

I still want to give tape wire a shot one more time (For a roombox or 2 roomed house) but for me, hardwire is still easier for me to use. There are base board trim that has grooves in them to hide the wire in and so far, I have not had any issues with my hard wire.

Lots of people are VERY successful with the tape wire. Sheesh, they even have tape wire for REAL houses now. I have attempted to use it 3 times with no success but I am sure it's me (I have always been goofy like that :blink: ).

I must say, Darrell's tutorial has made me want to try it again. I bet he knows how to help you fix it too.

Keep us posted!!

Oh Nutty, I have the secret. When I wired the Jefferson, I used one continual tapewire for all the rooms and floors. So there wasn't any brads to insert. It's just a matter of folding the tape to go in any direction. It was fun and no pressure and I would do it again the same way. Maybe not the most professional but hey, all the lights worked.

Wendy

Hi Tracy, it did work for me and if you take your time and not rush you can hide the bends very easily and hopefully they won't be too noticable. I was quite pleased with the results and found that where there was a straight line of tapewire, (peach bedroom ceiling) it showed through more than any area that had a fold in it. Go figure!!

Wendy

someone really just needs to find my mind....I just know Ive left it somewhere.

Aww, Nutti! {{VBH}} Of all the things I've lost over the years I miss my mind the most <_< NOT

DH has informed me he'll help me wire the McKinley. Isn't that sweet? I have found a home for the Haunted House, which turned out insufferably cute; if my good do-be can get the pictures to load the blog will be finished.

Then there's the problem of loading the pictures of the swap items I received. I have the start of the Jan swap items on this last disc, too :blink:

Holly you and your sweet Hubby need to gift yourself with a digi camera for Christmas. not just for the minis but for the other interresting things you do as well.

I have a 35 mm that I love!! but I never use it anymore.

my cheepo digi camera I got 2 yrs ago has me soooo spoiled.

take a photo resize it to make things even closer without loosing the integrity of the photo. and than post it right away for all to see.

I have a Kodak easy share with docking bay got it for 50$ at christmas Blitz....I keep watching for them to go on sale like that again.

I cant wait to see what you do with the Mckinley. and lights as well. kewl

have you started yet?

huggzzzz

Oh Nutti I'm so sorry to hear of your wiring problems. Am I reading this right that you have lights on the first and last floor but not the second? It may be your bulbs. I know I have one light that every time I turn them on I have to tighten the bulb, of course over the holiday I've had to move my house several times so that is how it got loose. But you must be getting a connection if the attic works and the first floor. Do you have a tester, if so check the tape with it on the second floor and if it works it has got to be in the light itself.

I also have had a problems with one that is soldered to the floor above that occasionally I have to press on the floor to get the connection to work, (that's because I made the mistake of putting my floor in with double sided tape and placed it over the solder) But I also did this to make it easier to trace a problem with the wiring, I just shouldn't have place the tape over the solder.

Try this and maybe you will soon be back to your "lite" self. LOL

Peggi

Nutti, This is embarassing. We got a digital camera a few years ago & got completely lost trying to figure out how to use it, so we asked DS#2 (the computer guru in the family) to teach us how to use it & he said something to his dad about discs & cards and what wouldn't work with the computer, none of which made any sense to either of us.

I cant wait to see what you do with the Mckinley. and lights as well. kewl

have you started yet?

Not yet, probably after Christmas/ New Year. I got talked into making some stuffed ducks (felt ones, toys) for a friend's daughter (the first one turned out surprisingly cute, so I know my friend will want her own, too) and I'm also making decorations for a retirement party next week. I began picking at making some more things for the pub, too; right now I'm trying to find time to play with the Chrysnbon bathroom accessories.

Once my friend's funeral is over tomorrow & I have a stiff drink of something I may be able to get back into a mini-ing mood.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Well after a little chatting in the chat room with nutti she got them working again. Isn't that good? Nutti is becoming a professional at this wiring stuff. Even if she doesn't believe it.

LOL!

Actually, as we were talking and I was telling her things to check she went to turn them on so she could check and they were working again. I'm thinking that perhaps the moisture from the papering was creating a problem. And that once it dried the problem may have dried up with it. However, this could still mean that there's a weak connection for the second floor wiring. so if it acts up again that's where I'd check.

If it's any consolation, one of the lights in our McKinley has an on again, off again problem that I haven't been able to track down yet. Because everytime it doesn't come on and I begin to work on tracking down the problem any touching of anything near the light makes it start working again.

so no matter how much experience you have we can bump into a little glitch from time to time. I'm beginning to think this one has a problem in the fixture itself and not in any of the wiring. Time will tell.

Darrell

woot woot!!

working lights again!!

post-9-1133586019.gif

Happy nutti dance!

as we speak DH is installing his new light.

I am far from an expert but I do know some basics and perhaps someday I wont spend days waiting for DH to help me out.

now a lamp making tutorial Darrell!

I need to know what to use as a base? paperclay?

will it be to wet for the wires as it dries?

I have gumdrops for lamp in kids room.

thanks for all the help! I would never have attempted this without all of you encouraging me and Darrells easy to understand instructions.

thanks again!

Darrells easy to understand instructions

Bless his heart, Darrell doesn't use a lot of specifically technical terms without telling you what it is he's talking about. I have read a lot of posts on electrifying that talk about resistance and capacitors and all the wonderful terms I haven't heard since highschool physics. Darrell tells just what you need to know to get things to work.

Big round of applause & mini thanks :blink:

woot woot!!

working lights again!!

post-9-1133586019.gif

Happy nutti dance!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So glad to hear that you have the lights back working like they should, isn't it magic sitting there in an otherwise dark room gazing into the light up romms of a DH :blink:

Hugs

You don't have to rip any wall paper down.

well yes that is what anyone would think but while installing the kitchen light we discovered that I have slit the tape wire at the ceiling whan I installed the paper.

and the trim is up also. soooooo in order to have a working light in the kitchen I have to come from the small bedroom floor....of course!!

oh well how else do we learn?

right now I am not working on the Mckinley because I absolutley have to get the Purple palace finished and my secret santa THINGIE. and put togeter a box for my Willowcrest girls for Christmas. that one is done. all the gifts are ready and boxed...just waiting for mailing day!

all in the days of nutti's life.

:blink: