For Those That Have Built The San Fran

I will soon be getting this house but for some reason, Im intimidated by it. I dont know why Im being such a chicken but Im literally scared of starting it. Is this a relatively easy build or very difficult? Is there any Greenleaf build that can be compared to it as far as difficulty? I just really dont want to mess it up since its so beautiful.

It takes more time that some houses, but it is not hard to build. Actually I found that it was easy to square up and even though it is tall was nice and ridged when finished even after I added a basement for a kitchen and servants quarters. The round roof cupula can be hard to shingle but easier if you use sandpaper sheets that can be trimmed with scissors instead of wood shingles for the roof. It is also helpful to know to wallpaper or paint the hard to reach areas before gluing.

I made quite a few changes to mine, but i really didn't think it was a hard build per say. a lot of cutting wood and stuff, and a LOT of pieces in the box, but not really hard to put together.

The SF555 was the first dh kit I ever built and it took 3 1/2 years for me to "finish" it. I was also attending nursing school full-time & trying to work part time at the hospital, so a lot of that time was NOT due to building problems.

I have the 557 I think (the MDF version), I've read that it's a bit easier than the earlier version? I'm glad to see that it has milled siding, and that I won't have to put it up piece by piece,lol. I can't wait to start it, but I've been restraining myself.

The 557 is my first build from a kit (I rehabbed another house first) and I didn't find it that hard, although I'm not done yet. The windows take a long time because you have to put them all together piece by piece. I even bashed the roof and added a dormer with a bay window! Don't be intimidated- just work one piece at a time and you'll get there.

As I remember it the shell went up very quickly. The only things I remember being a pain are the cutting of the trim and the windows--issues I also had with my Duracraft Bayberry Cottage so I think it is more a Duracraft thing than a particular thing about this house.

Well Im going to have to make the window panes for mines because the kit doesnt have the windows. I really would have loved those silk screened windows, oh well. Right now, I just need windows, any windows will do. Any suggestions on how I can make my own?

you could always get a picture of the windows and trace the design on them onto the "glass" with a white sharpie marker.
You can also trace over prints of stained glass windows with black acrylic paint from the tube or Liquid Lead and color in the spaces with Gallery glass for stained glass windows.