The Willow

Raggedyanne

:wave: This is how I am feeling at this point in my first Dollhouse exprience...however I have only opened the box and purchased some of the materials....this might be how I feel in the next few weeks as I begin :banana:

This is of course is what I am trying to avoid...I hope that I will find support and answers from all of the nice people that I have met so far on the different forums, and I will be glad to pass along anything new that I learn, so that we can all keep the :banana: at bay.

Look forward to chatting with ya'll

Anne :banana:

the first time I open any kit thats the feeling I get alsoo

best thing to do is open box get in and get out quick with the instructions and close box

back away from the box.

take your instructions and make your fav beverage and climb into a comfy chair and get to know your directions...make friends with them.

if the house is one of our blogging efforts than browse the photos and how to's...this could help you decide in what direction you would like to see your house go.

when you are calm...go through the box and make sure all of your sheets are there.

close the box and get your work area ready than open the box and begin with a dry fit of the shell

Do NOT put your windows and trim on first...it makes the decorating all the more challenging

Do NOT use hot glue...

once your shell is in dry fit take note of stair and wall placement....making sure to think about those areas not able to be reached once the walls and or stairs are in place.

DO NOT get intimidated by all those little parts and peices of wood...yes "You" CAN build a dollhouse!

Have fun with it! which house have you decided on?

Happy Building!

nutti:wave:

Now that I've built a kit or two I still get the OMG, what HAVE I done?!, but because now the kits have begun to nag me with how they want me to make them look when I build them I don't exactly get into the box to bond with the kit, but I carefully remove the clear acetate sheet with the window inserts and place them between the pages of the warmup sheet and put them where I can see them but they're unlikely to become damaged. Then I take the instruction sheet and give it a quick skim whilst talking to the rest of the kit and saying nurturing things to it (if you read some of my blogs, you'll find that this may be the only time I say nurturing things to it...). Then I take the schematics sheet and use it to take each plywood piece as I lay them into numerical order (easier for ME to find in the throes of building). This is when I take a few minutes to sniff and pet the wood and tell the kit how pretty it's going to look. Then I put back the schematics sheet and close the box and retire with that favorite beverage of my choice and read over the instructions to decide whether to bother with them (the McKinley was easier to build using the photos in the building team blogs!).

When I'm ready to build I start with the dry fit. Sometimes it helps prevent me from pitching a fit later on...

Hey,

You three have totally made me feel better! Havanaholly and Nuttiwebgal I tottaly love the humor!! I did open the box and quickly got the directions out, closed the box and backed away! I also appreciate the tip about no hot glue, they tell you in the directions that it's okay to use. I will now be buying stock in a woodglue company...that should bring a nice return :ohyeah:

I know that I can do this, I have a teacher friend that lives near me and she is into minis too and is willing to help me, plus she is the one that planted the idea of building a dollhouse in my crafty little mind :groucho:

I am excited and can't wait to get my area set up and get to work!

Anne

they tell you in the directions that it's okay to use.
When Greenleaf originally designed & released many of these kits back in the '70s & '80s hot glue guns melted at much higher temperatures that the gluesticks were made to melt at, resulting in a more durable bond; unlike the ones available in craft stores and Wally World today which grow brittle in extremes of temperature or resoften.

Also, Deft makes clear sanding sealer that is much nicer to use that mixing your own shellac flakes with denatured alcohol (which does unlovely things to flesh if it makes contact) that doesn't keep (sanding sealer will keep for years if you reseal the can lid after each use). Considering how many of the kits are still around after all the ownership changes I guess it wasn't cost-effective to update the instructions. NOw that Greenleaf has bought them back perhaps as discontinued kits are re-released and new kits designed & released we may see updated instruction sheets.

Love the dog!!!

Your first build can be very intimidating. I think that is why alot of us have been able to buy kits at yard sales, flea markets and on ebay for such a steal. Some people look at the pieces of wood and freak out!

You got to look at it like a huge jigsaw puzzle. Dont worry about all the pieces, just concentrate on the ones you are working on right now! Once you get the base of the house constructed you are going to feel so great..really you are.

A piece of advice that i will give to you: When you get frustrated..walk away! If you continue to work while you are frustrated you are more then likely to screw something up. Walk away, get a drink, read a magazine, watch some tv, relax your brain. Then come on here and ask questions. If we know the answer we can help..if we dont know the answer we will search the Himalayas to find it for you!!

Happy Building..and Welcome to the forum.

Take take take your time. Not only will the finished result be much better, but you'll also have more fun. Before you build, it may be a good idea to do a lot of research. Look at pictures and construction blogs of the house you're building. This may save you some major frustration if there's a part and solution to something everyone has a problem with. Also, research some real houses of the one you're building to get some inspiration. Oh and be carefully punching out the wood. You don't want to break anything and you definitely don't want splinters because they really stink.

You don't want to break anything and you definitely don't want splinters because they really stink.
Fortunately most breaks are easily repaired. Splinters, on the other hand, are another good reason to keep several pairs of good tweezers on hand.

You all have been so wonderful in helping me get started. I went out and got some of the very basics today. (I found a great list on the forum site) I can't wait to do my first dry fit tomorrow (Friday). I think that I have finally found a hobby where I fit in and have fallen in love :cheer: I will share pics as I go along, and I hope you guys wont mind me bugging ya with the crazy newbie questions :congrats:

Gotta go, Chat at ya later

Anne

I will share pics as I go along,
always a good idea...especially around here! :wave:

I hope you guys wont mind me bugging ya with the crazy newbie questions :p

NOT at all...I mean just how do you think we learned anything....by asking crazy newbie questions. :birthday:

SOOOO ASK AWAY!

nutti :hippi: :juggle:

welcome to the forum and good luck with your house!

Please share photo's as you go along we love eye candy :wave:

Also your dog in your picture is the cutiest thing!!!

Ditto! Welcome! Love the dog! What is his/her name?