Chat Night

Hi all,

Peggy - don't feel dumb! You should see the way they look at me when I ask for the stuff.. then they want to know what I'm going to use it for LOL - And I say - "Why - tombstones of course!" - that's what haunters use the foam for and it looks Great - unfortunately they don't carry it here locally as they say the weather isn't cold enough in this are for them to sell that kind of builders foam. All the craft stores sell here in foam board is the thin stuff so I'm thinking I may have to cut some foam core and sandwitch it together to make the right thickness and cross my fingers that it will work <?> Right about now Tracy is probably shaking her head at me :D

also - Tracy - You didn't say what kind of brushes to buy. I hadn't thought about it till I went to pick up some new ones today and realized i don't know if I need a soft brush, a bristle brush, a mop brush, long haired or short haired brushes. I could have guessed but y'all know what a tight wad I am :D yep - guilty as charged cheap cheap cheap :D I did get the right paint though :D - so between my lack of foam board and my brushes if my fireplace doesn't turn out right everyone should know it's my fault and not Tracy's.. did I mention I dont' follow directions well??? ;) Bad, David, Bad.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, and Peggy, you can sandwich the 1/4" thick board till you get the right thickness. I wish I had known a week ago cause I could have sent some to yall. Tell you what, if you have a problem getting the stuff send me your snail mail addy and I will send it to you and next Sunday we'll still chat and do it together.

:D

David the reason I took so many pictures cause if it were me, I would make it from following the pictures and "eye ball" the size. I do that often but could not for this cause I know some people are a stickler for instruction being in correct sizes etc. I don't use compasses so that is why the 4oz cup is just as good.

:D

So, I bet a lot of yall shook your heads at me when you saw that huh? :D:D ;)

Tracy,

You're so sweet to offer to send some foam - but I'm sure I can sandwich what I have and I LOVE your pictures! Apparently you know me better than I thought LOL you took lots of great photos for me to follow! :D I wondered what the 4 oz cup was for but figured it was for mixing the paint heheh. But what type of paint brushes should we be getting?

-David

Hi Melissa, I see someone else noticed too :D:D ;) . Dean said he'd work on it tonight. :D

I thought I had down a 2" wide brush ;) . Sorry about that everyone and Thanks for noticing David. We will need that same cup for painting later on though. We will have to do that another day after the clay dries. :D

Bad news :D . The Chat room is still unavailable and we are unsure when it will be fixed. I am so sorry about this. We will have to reschedule the chat.

A lot of you were wondering "why" I am so dead set on doing it in the chat room. One reason is because it was the one feature people said they wanted most when we were trying to set up the new website here. I also wanted to do it in the chatroom because it's real time and it is private for members only. I think people who are members should get special treats sometimes, right?

This is why I don't want to have "all" of the instructions everywhere. I want to say Thank You for being a member and for your contributions to make this a fun and warm community.

If the chatroom gets repaired before Sunday, we'll still do the class Sunday @ 7pm. I want to do a class, once a month (I am going to try to anyway :D ).

Hi Tracy, I couldn't find the 1" foam board so I bought 1/2" and will have to sandwich them together to get the 1" thickness. I did find the paperclay finally after thinking I'd have to settle for the DAS clay. I was happy about that!

The pictures and instructions are great! Love the cup idea, that's what I would have done!! Can't wait for Sunday night! :D

Now that my swap items are done and shipped and birthday presents are done and given away, I'm having hubby help me clean out my craft room this weekend so I can start on my Buttercup bash. The fireplace will be the first thing to go in once it's up! :D

David thanks for telling me not to feel dumb. Sure would make it easier if things just went by one name.

Tracy thank you for offering to send me some foamboard, but I did pick up the insulation board (cello foam per home depot). I had to buy a 6 pack of the stuff with each piece being 4 ft long and 13" wide. But if we're having classes once at month, I may use it up. Will it make a lot of difference if it is only 3/4" thick?

Now if I can just make it to Hobby Lobby to get the paper clay. I'll be all set, (that is if I can round up the rolling pin, I know I have one somewhere in this house) LOL.

I'm hoping the chat works, I'm really looking forward to learning something new. I don't belong to any other group, and haven't yet subscribed to any miniature magazine, cause I wasn't sure how I would like building and decorating a dollhouse. ;) But with the help from this group in answering questions and giving encouragement, I've enjoyed it for the most part (I'm still swearing off mansard roofs!) :D and hopefully within the next two weeks, I will have finally finally finish the Lily and will begin decorating with all the stuff I've been collecting for the last 8 months. :D Will post pictures soon.

Peggi

I used a combo of foam insulation for the fireplace, since it's the right thickness, and foamcore for the mantle & hearth. It is going to be a sweet little fireplace. I'm thinking of using it in my arthur that is going to be Tudor style anyhow, to make it look old.

Your directions are quite clear, Tracey. I've used that insulation foam for lots of things, it's great. Thanks so much!

Tracy,

Don't feel too bad about chat having troubles - those things happen - espcially in the web world - I'll be around this weekend and next and if you have to postpone it a week it might give a few people a little more time to get their supplies and I know there were a few who couldn't make it this weekend due to prior arrangements. Like mom always says - sometimes delays happen for a good reason, even when you don't want to be delayed. -

Looking at the bright side :D

-David

Oh, Tracy, that sounds great! Another new project! I'm going to have everything I need for the Buttercup if this keeps up! :D

I'll be around next weekend too, so don't worry . . . be happy!! :D

I'm back, hope to be here for next weekend 'cause the following weekend we'll be in VA visiting & housewarming DS#2. I'll try to get by Michale's for papercdlay or DAS & I'll "sandwich" my lifetime supply of free foamcore (I call it foamboard, not just to confuse Peggi).

The Fair on the Square Ride was fun, we hiked the Providence Canyon yesterday :(:rolleyes:

Teresa, I was trying to see how things were gonna go and it does not look like I can do it tonight. I have my husbands family here :) :lol: :lol: .

The faces is all I can say.

We can reschedule it for next Sunday (Y'all let me know if it is a good time for you too).

I am sorry. You all can still go in and chat. I may be able to pop in. Shucks, now I am wondering how many people have there fireplace assembled now.

How many of you have you fireplace assembled and are ready for the paper clay steps?

Tracy, I certainly understand about your family! This is something that I can wait on! I'm not in a hurry. I'd rather wait for you and enjoy your expert company on this one!! :)

next weekend is going to be totally off limits for me and my baby(computer)

I will be full swing spookhouse. spent all day yesterday working on props and dressing maniquins. today will be more of the same.

I have 2 white shrouds to make and 3 black robes.....its a good thing I like sewing some.....ok ...yes I was lying I dont care to sew as much as I once did...makes getting the machine out very hard.

I have my fireplace together and ready for paperclay.

I do hope your visit will be a good one under such stressful conditions.

talk to ya soon.

nutti :blink:

I have assembled my little fireplace, but it can wait. I was wondering if this fireplace is intended for a roombox or structure with 10 inch high or 12 inch high ceilings, since it is rather tall. I will have to use a smaller, thinner fireplace for my little arthur. Or maybe my dimensions are off, I don't think so-- :p I measured three times! :blink:

Tracey, family comes first. We're here, not a problem for waiting.

Thank You everyone for understanding!!

Let's set it up for this Sunday at 7pm and those who email me or PM me and let me know they can not attend will be given info on how to do this.

was wondering if this fireplace is intended for a roombox or structure with 10 inch high or 12 inch high ceilings, since it is rather tall.

Lisa this is a regular 1" scale sized fireplace. As you know though, even in real life they vary in size. That is why I love to use this material. If you want it shorter just cut 1/2" off the fireplace front and back parts and it will make it shorter. When I set this next to my other fireplaces the size is right but please edit the size to fit your room. I did trim off the mantel though. I don't know if I measured wrong on mine or what but it was a bit too big for me so yes, please feel free to edit them gals & guys!! :o

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask them, okay? :D