Thoughts on the McKinley

Hallowell

;) I'm thinking my next house purchase will be a McKinley and I'm just wondering what those of you who have built it think of it. Maybe some ideas on what to watch out for while building it, what kind of space is there for furniture, if you've hung yours on the wall or put it on a table. Any thoughts would be appreciated. :yes:

I am also interested in hearing about the house.

I've been through the blogs - but would love to know more about "the stairway to nowhere" and the strange hallway cubby upstairs.

I ordered this house just yesterday - I like the idea of small compact house for seasonal decorating.

I'm hoping to have it done by summer so I can prepare the fall/winter holiday decor!

hmmmm...well the stairs do lead to nowhere. but very nice look feature

no reason a person couldnt leave out the whole stair and fireplace feature if they wanted...

I really like it!

now upstairs in the master bedroom I wanted more room so I left out the portion that suggest the stairs come up. as for the hall...it could be removed also to make the bedrooms larger still

the rooms are a very nice size as the kit is.

one thing to definatly do it to wire the back wall as per Darrell suggestion...I did and I worked out great for me. do the wire on the back wall before adding the walls

I sit mine on a shelf I would hang it if I didnt live in a 100 yr old house with plaster walls...dont trust the walls with my baby.

one thing no picture shows is how nice the front porch is!

a very nice and un advertised feature!

I enjoyed building my Mckinley and I say if ya think ya want one ,,,go for it,,,I dont think you will be dissapointed!

nutti ;)

Ok, so the stairs...are there treads that go up into nothingness, or do the treads stop at the edge of the fireplace.

That is, if I look thru the front door...do teh stairs go into a wall, or do they seem to "go up".

This house really has me interested. I can't wait to get one.

I'm in a small mode right now.

Loved your blog. Very helpful.

actually it is a full staircase behind the fireplace goes right up to the 2nd floor

you assemble it along with the fireplace. its all one peice when finished to go inside to put in place.

if you look in the door the stairs go all the way up....

nutti ;)

I so want this house... and the other day I had it in my shopping cart on HBS. but I chickened out.! I really want that house but just dont have the $$ right now to buy it. Although we could have ate Mac & Cheese for a few weeks..! LOL!!!

Hugs

Kellee

Greg, I think it's a wonderful house! What are you thinking of doing with it?

After the shock of the Chicago show has worn off . . . I plan on buying one. I want to do it up as a doll shop (or have Tracy do it up for me)! I was going to build the Aster for this purpose, but then I got to thinking . . . I don't need a whole house for a doll shop when all I want to see are the dolls! Voila' . . . McKinley!! I'm in bliss just thinking about it!! ;)

Hope you don't mind if I ramble, but . . . I can see the old widowed lady who owns the shop (oh, and I've just thought of her name!). She loves all the dolls and is very reluctant to sell even one . . . hence it's more of a collection! A little girl who gets a doll from this shop is very lucky indeed!

Ooooooo . . . I need to win the lottery!!

Greg, see what you started! :yes:

I have thought of getting this house also. I have a lot more wall space that table space. I like the idea of decorating it for the season and holidays. What they heck....buy one Greg and let us watching you work your magic!

I bought the McKinley last month and I was hoping to put it on the wall above a cupboard in my kitchen hallway (which is only about 5' tall) but when I measured the space on top, I realized it's going to almost reach the ceiling. I don't think it's such a small house afterall. But I'm excited to have one just the same. I'll find some spot for it.

I've got the McKinley, but it's still in its box.

I want to turn it into an upscale home, so I'm saving my pennies.

Greg - please buy this kit and start building. I'd love to watch what you do with it. It's definitely got its own charm.

-Susanne

I have made several McKinley's in my dollhouse life and loved each and everyone of them. They are so unique, and the rooms are quite nice and despite it being a "slice" of a house, the front and back are equally lovely! The porch as stated is a very nice feature, and the front door when you look through it, you see the entire staircase as stated...... I painted the part of the wall you would see at the end of the staircase black so you only see a shadow effect up there.....but most people wouldn't be looking up to see where the stairs end anyway. I never put the added wall in the master bedroom over the living room. It takes a lot of wall space away and it's hard to fit a bureau in there with it in place. The bedroom is quite light and airy feeling with the bay window and the other window next to it. I like the "hallway" and in a couple fo the houses I made, made that hallway into a roomy closet rather than a hall. In another one I made a foux stairway you can just see when you look at it from the bathroom doorway. The first two setps are real, then they are foux from there up. I put a mirror in there, and a stairail and also a shelf under the mirror and decorated it. Close the door partway and you don't see much! The bathroom is adorable! And you can do so much with it! I love the built in shelves and cabinet! The window is a bit high, but the room is light.

I have bricked the one I am currently working on. Made my own bricks from coffee stirrers and glued them on individually. Rather than using the latticework on the bottom of the one I am working on, I used magic stone on that entire foundation and only used lattice around the porch area. Even though mine will no doubt be hanging I used foamboard to make an oval shaped "yard" extending out from the back about 8 inches and in the front about 6 inches. In the front I bricked the steps and bricked a semi-circle at the end of the stairs and used old coffee grounds to make a dirt path to the "sidewalk" which is imaginery. I also put a mailbox at the end of it. I have to finish that house one day!

Over the years I have seen the McKinley done up so many ways. One lady I saw had two McKinley's, and she made them back to back, reversing one to match the other......she made them looking like painted ladies you could see from both sides, and she has it displayed in a room divider so you can see one side from dining room, and one side from living room.

A fascinating house to work on! And lots of fun! Oh yes, I always leave out the door between kitchen and living room to give more wall space in the kitchen, since the lovely little bay in the kitchen takes about half of the wall up.

Wolfie

I couldn't wait until next April.

I had to have it.

Plus, the build time was right in line with the Glencroft - so if it says 13 hours here, multiply that by 10, and that is my personal build time.

130 hours! here i come!

This is a really strange coincidence, I've been going through the McKinley blogs as well and had it in my cart for the HBS sale but didn't get it either! It is such a unique little house. Also, I picked up some old issues of Nutshell News from ebay several months ago, and in them there was an entire series on building and decorating the McKinley, so I'm totally smitten. I have a Fairfield in the works, a Glencroft being re-decorated, and a Gloucester in the mail, we're moving to a new city soon, starting new jobs and have our first baby on the way, but how could one more little dollhouse hurt, right? And the McKinley wouldn't take up much space at all! ;) I wonder if some houses just send out "vibes" of wanting to be in the spotlight for a bit?

I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures Greg!

Plus, the build time was right in line with the Glencroft - so if it says 13 hours here, multiply that by 10, and that is my personal build time.

130 hours! here i come!

Oh, I am SO glad to know that I am not the only one who triples (and triples again) the "average" build time! I am maybe a quarter of the way done with my BH, and I have already exceeded the "average" build time. Go figure.

please note that the average "build" time does not include ANY extras

like primer,paint/stain,wallpaper,flooring or the electrical.

just a poor nekid house.

nutti :)

• 2 weeks later...