Curtains question

Cuppa-Tea

I've never made curtains before and am dreading doing those tiny hems on the sewing machine. If I am using spray starch to stiffen them, do I need to hem them too? That is, turn all the edges under and sew them down, not just the hem. Or will the starch keep them from unraveling?

The starch would probably keep them from unraveling if you used the liquid starch. Another idea would be to turn your hem and use Stitch Witchery

Turn the hem and use glue honey! Believe me, a very light application will do wonders for your mini curtains! So simple and you can iron them as well!

Hugs,

Wolfie

Hi Christine,

I just picked up a book at the library today, Dolls House Do-It_Yourself Curtains by Sue Heaser. It was mentioned on the forum a little while ago. It is excellent, and should be available from your library either off the shelf or interlibrary loan.

She recommends using a white glue diluted with water to a cream consistency as a fray control. She uses a small syringe and draws a fine line of glue for the seams. Press the edges and hem, and then glue the sides first, and then the hem.

Hope this helps.

Shirley

I use either glue or starch and both work very well to stop fraying. Melissa has recommended Fray-Stop and her fabric work is just awesome.

Deb

Yep, the curtain book mentioned is terrific. Very easy-to-follow directions, and patterns for all sorts of curtains and window treatments. She recommends the watered-down glue, and I've found that works well, as does the spray starch.

I was dreading trying to sew them, too. When I was talking with someone at the Shows last weekend, she did sew hers, but she had a special small sewing machine that was gentler on the fabric than a standard machine. It only cost $2,000+ dollars! I guess if you're making curtains professionally, that might be reasonable, but....

When I am doing my cross-stitch projects, No Fray (I think that's the name of it) is my best friend. It comes in a little tube, and it comes out clear. Works like a charm. I would imagine that would work for your curtains too.

Thanks! Oh, and I assume I should shape the curtains before the glue on the hems dries, is that right?

I would shape them before, you know you could also add a thin wire in the "hem canal" so to speak, that way you will be able to get real neat waves or creases.

And if you are a bit impatient like me, using the iron works wonders to get the glue to dry faster... :shifty:

Looking forward seeing your new window dressings!

Hugs