I'm an empty nester!!!

Lillian

Hello...I now have an extra bedroom available since my daughter (27) has finally moved out!!!! Since we moved into this tiny apartment I haven't had any room for my miniature obsession...so alot of things are just in boxes and in the closet. Now with this extra space I can have my own craft room!!! I'm not used to having space...any suggestions/ideas as to how to set up this room for dollhouse building? I have a couple of hundred dollars I can spare to fix it up. Please help! Thanks.

Hmmm...this could be interestng. I agree with the work table, chair, good light and shelves. Also, perhaps you could invest in a couple of the square or rectangle folding tables. When you don't need the table space, they fold up and can be put just about anywhere. I have a rectangle one and love it. Also, there are rolling storage containers that stack. I would love to have one of those. To save a little money on storage type items, I like to use old cans...coffee, soup, etc.. I remove the labels, wash them and then paint the happy colors. Coffee cans are nice because they have lids. ;-)

Hope you have a great time fixing up your new craft room. One thing however. Perhaps you might think about leaving room for a bed....just in case. :ohyeah:

I like a rolling table. I have a rectangular one and I also use a sturdy old TV cart. If I want to roll a big house out of the way and work on something else, I can.

I also like to set 2 tables in an L shape. One is for working, the one to the side holds paints, brushes, tools, paper towels, etc.

Congratulations on gaining a craft room!

I like to use trays for my smaller projects. They are portable, keep all the necessities for the project in one spot, and can be slid onto a shelf out of the way when you're not working on that particular mini.

Also, the photo boxes at Michaels make pretty storage containers. (They look good on the shelf.) I have my fair share of shoeboxes and coffee cans, too!

If you can find a reasonably priced "task" chair, it would be money well spent (in my opinion). You know, it swivels, has castors on the legs, and adjusts in height. Just the thing for your L-shaped work station!

wow, a room of one's own! cool! congrats to both you and your dd! sounds like a :ohyeah: win/win, which is always nice.

if the room is small, i'd think it might be good to use vertical space as best possible, both for display and for storage.

you might hang shelves or painted pegboard or beadboard - the kind used in shops - or get some standing shelving. cupboards or shelves with shuttered fronts can be attractive.

a thought -- if you're renting the apartment (if it isn't a condo) then hanging anything on the walls now usually means getting a written OK from the owner and/or repairing and repainting the wall, if and when you move.

in any event, i know you'll have fun with your new space! let us know what you decide and how it goes, OK?

If I were so lucky as to start from scratch with a empty room I would hang shelves completly around the room....if allowed...if not they do have those nice tall utility shelving

a sleeper sofa(not bed) nice for a visit! I like upper shelving for houses/projects you would be suprised at how many houses will fit on a shelf.

folding table....I also have mine in an L shape a 6ft table with a 4 foot table and one of those old aluminum tea/microwave carts from the 70/80's I do my main work on the 4fter the 6 fter holds my paint caddy....LOVE THIS! it holds 120 of those craft paints...and yes now it is full...took me a yr but I filled it up. under the tables I keep a kitchen trash can for my trim and strip wood peices and 2 rolling dawers from rubber maid....the large one houses all of my imediatly needed tools the 2nd one hasnt found real purpose but its full of needful things :ohyeah: its a small

these are good for extra work areas for lots of small bits. under the big table I keep rubber maid containers and a piano bench...LOL hey its low fits out of the way and I use it to put my current kit on to lay it all flat and out of the way

and dont forget to leave a few places for display....with such a ymmy work room you should keep real busy!

Have fun.

nutti :blink:

OHHHHH and BTW

Welcome to the forum! :banana:

Thank you all. I like the L-shaped work station idea! And yes, you're right about room for a bed...kids have a tendancy of coming back home, don't they???? Lol

As a empty nester for a few years now, I can definitely say--yes they do come back home, and theres more of them. Thats why one bedroom is now got storage bins stacked high with minis but the building is done in the former dining room cause the bed has to stay in place for weekend visits. LOL

Welcome!

I am pining for the day my lil chicks leave the nest..they are getting tired of the shoe prints on the back of their pants! LOL

I would also invest in nice big cork board or those ribbon/fabric boards. So you can put up all your ideas. I would also get a nice radio for musical interlodes.

Oh, a sign for the doorknob...Construction in progress Do not disturb!