Blocking Copyrighted Photos and Text

KathieB

I was skimming through eBay this morning and found a site with OOAK bead chandeliers. As is my habit, I did a right click to save the photo in my Dollhouse Inspiration file, only to encounter a pop-up that said:

Sorry, No copying my pics. This Page Copyrighted and images and text protected. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED!

What a wonderful thing! I emailed the seller immediately to ask how she did that. I don't know if it's an eBay feature or something that can be applied to photos elsewhere, but I sure want to know. Will let y'all know what I hear back.

I recall having seen this years ago, although I can't recall in what context. Does anyone know how this works?

EDIT: Forgot to add in the LINK to her list.

It's VERY easy to get around because I have a Apple Computer and I don't have a "right click" button, that's not how I save pictures and I was able to move her pictures on my computer (I did not keep it I must add ) I LOVE her stuff. I have purchased from her before too. She does AWESOME things!!

I primarily use Firefox and I didnt get anything when I right clicked on her pic. But there are ones that are used on Firefox. Maybe you have to add dual programming into the photos to cover all your options.

Her work is truly beautiful! I kinda have to wonder if her putting that in her auctions might actually be looked upon as a challenge to some people to copy their pictures anyway.

Thanks for the information about right-click blocking. Didn't realize it would be easy to get around it. As old as I am, I still have a problem with the realization that nothing is as simple as it looks!

I think the only way to really protect your pics if that's what you want to do is to put some kind of a watermark I think it's called across the picture.

You then ruin the picture in my opinion. However the pics really aren't very useful to others when you do that. I actually had someone I know to tell me her pics couldn't be copied and then said, try it. It didn't take a second. There's probably even a way around the watermark issue, I just don't care enough to try to find it. Many times if you want to use a picture you can write to the person it belongs to and ask and not always but many times they will give you permission.

Hugs,

Kat

Someone asked me last week if she could use my pics. She also said that the pics were in a public place already (on the internet) so she need not have to ask me at al, but did it out of politeness, wel, she has a point I thought. So I agreed knowing that the pictures were going to be used anyway. Should I have prevented that? I even don't know how I can accomplish that!

The pictures can always be gotten even with watermarks. There are programs out there such as SnagIt or Camtasia that allow you to take a copy of the picture. As far as the watermarks, they can be taken out very easily by changing the colors of the pixels to match the picture. Very easily done and doesn't take long at all, as long as you have a good photo program. There really is no fool proof way to stop it from happening.

Someone asked me last week if she could use my pics. She also said that the pics were in a public place already (on the internet) so she need not have to ask me at al, but did it out of politeness, wel, she has a point I thought. So I agreed knowing that the pictures were going to be used anyway. Should I have prevented that? I even don't know how I can accomplish that!

Wilma, somebody mentioned in another thread that your photos on Webshots are copyrighted. This is from Webshots information (emphasis added):

Use of Webshots and the Webshots Content

All of the Content available through Webshots is protected by our copyrights and the copyrights of our partners and/or users. You may not use, store, display, publish, transmit, distribute, modify, reproduce, create derivative works of, participate in the transfer or sale of, publicly perform, or in any way exploit any of this Content, in whole or in part, outside of the specific usage rights granted to you by Webshots as part of the services we provide.

You could put "Copyright 2007 Wilma Hartog" in the comments box if you would like to help educate others that these photos are not in the public domain, but it is my understanding that your photos are copyrighted as soon as you publish them. The Fotki website gives the user the opportunity to add the copyright notice to each photo. Click on the Traveling Twins link in my signature to see how that works.

Kathie I have tried to protect them by using the link provided by Holly earlier in this topic, do not know if it works yet, I also did not realize that my webshots were alreay protected, thank you for mentioning that,