New photos in my gallery

Wolfie

I stayed up until 3AM this morning "rocking" the wall behind the fireplace and finishing the units which will slide into place on the end wall without any windows. The bookcase unit will be glued against the bay window wall still leaving room for drapes but seeming a nook and cranny effect which breaks up that wall a lot. Electricals will probably go behind it up to the second floor - still trying to get lights and electricals! I will be needing a fireplace set now for the fireplace!

The stairs are pretty much finished....I'm working on another project today for someone else, so will finish that up tonight - probably have to stay up again! LOL!

Anyway some photos in the gallery. Please critique if you think there is something wrong with any of these things?

Thanks,

Wolfie

Your house is looking splendid! (I'd hardly expect otherwise, from you!!)

Are you making the walls separate, outside of the house, and then intend to put them in place? I'm thinking about that procedure for my Real Good House, rather than trying to decorate them once everything is glued. That might be one way I can address an inner room of my Garfield, too -- make the walls on cardboard, and then glue them in, now that the Garfield is done...

Wow it looks terrific. Great decor! Its beautiful. Its just my style. I wish I was crafty and imaginative enough to create it for my dollhouse but alas, I am decoratively challenged. :whistle: (I dont even know if thats a word.)

With the molding in the corner between the rocky chimneybreast & fireplace and the papered wall I think it comes off very well. I like the niche, is that one from HBS or did you make it from "scratch" (and if so, how, please?)? Also the potted palm. At first your "young Orson Wells" looked potted, also, but then I realized what he was holding looked more like a cigar than a whisky glass...

Gina, it's lovely! I like the idea of making an inner wall to hold the decor with the electricals sandwiched between. With Greenleaf's eighth inch plywood the doubled walls are still only a hair more than a quarter inch thick. One could actually make more than one set of inner walls for a house ... maybe a summer set and a winter set ... :whistle:

Answers...... I use a lot of cardboard in my dollhouses.....I hate having to rip out wallpaper and replace with an awful lot of work involved. I save every decent scrap of cardboard I can find....backs of tablets, the ones that come in carpeting for dollhouses is wonderful, anything. I prefer the white coated cardboards ...... I make a template of each wall in the dollhouse...and cut the appropriate size cardboard.....I glue the paper with an overhang of about 1/2 inch.....this gives some leeway in case I mess up cutting the cardboard....... Then after the electricals are in place, I glue the cardboards to the walls just around the edges - it works and the middles don't sag either! In the case of the two walls in the picture you saw....the one with the inserted niche - that is cardboard with one edge folded neately back and that edge is 1" and I walpapered it and folded it under and glued it down. The fireplace wall is papered from the molding to the end. When I put the walls up that will be glued to the wall, and the insert wall glued on top of it. It will look like one solid piece in that case. The other edge of the insert wall will just be glued to the tower wall....inside is enough room for wiring to snake up the wall to the second floor. Nope, I did make it myself. I had the insert bookcase for many years. It was made by Labre I believe. I had two at one time, but one got badly damaged - read crushed - during a move. It was the oval opening but no shelves and Venus was supposed to go inside it...nice idea, but unfortunately it is no longer with me........ Anyway I was looking at that fireplace on just the wallpaper and it just yelled that it wanted to be rocked! So I rocked it. It was fun! I tried to give the illusion that the fireplace was and is used a lot hence the difference in the colors.....

That is a cigar the young man is holding! He is a victorian man and won't be in the Pierce....he could be considered an ancester of the family that lives there now....perhaps he is a ghost.......ooooooooooo

Decorating the house BEFORE you get involved in inside walls is the way to go I believe. I try to get my ducks in a row ......I'm sure that before those walls go in the house permanently, there will be some changes in decorations. The big mirror on the back of the staircase.....that started life as a free handout from a company I used to work for......it has a white metal back and a silver rim around the mirror. I sanded down the metal back removing the white paint from the metal and providing a better gluing surface. Then I painted the inside rim gold and the outside a light ivory and carried the gold over as small stripes making it look less from a Freebie and more like it belonged there with the decor....I figure anyone coming in and going to the dining room might want to straighten themselves before dinner. I may put a small "door" under that - like it could hold hats and gloves or something....or perhaps a small set of "drawers" that you could stash things in....sort of like faux built-ins. There are lots of things you can do that look real, but are fake - but you all know that! Anyway I firmly believe in doing much of the decorating before everything gets in place. It's easier on you, easier to do, and far easier to re-do should you have to remove a wall or something later on for the electricals.

Thanks for you help guys!

Wolfie :whistle:

Yes, Brimble is getting impatient, wanting to be in his house. Maybe tomorrow, certainly by Saturday! :whistle:

That's interesting, doing the walls outside of the actual structure. I'm going to try that with my next rehab. Seems like if I'm careful I can bend the walls enough to fit round staircases, for example, and get into nooks and crannies that are hard to do when the house is already built. Great ideas!