Tiny tiny baby house, HELP

Corwin

So I have hit a road block. It all started when I saw one of those 1:12 scale baby dressers on eBay I LOVED it, but, it cost eighty dollars, :) I really like mine so far but I need ideas on how to do TINY furniture. Ideas would be appreciated. As well, there is the issue of the doors closing and you can see the floors and ceiling are started to peel back and I can’t get the walls to stay strait, ideas on this would be equally helpful. But all aside whatcha think?? Pics bellow.

I have often admired those DBH. one of those someday projects till I saw yours

DUH :)

I have 1/144th scale metal furniture....wonder if that will fit

I will check tomorrow

but if not you could use polyclay and make some furniture.

paper works in this scale also.

nutti :D

How tall is the baby dresser?

Last Fall I took a workshop where we decorated and furnished the inside of a Dutch Baby House (6 1/2" tall). The scale for the rooms was 1:90 (smaller than 1/4 scale but larger than 1:144).

-Susanne

Susanne, your Baby House is wonderful. Did you make the furnishings? Where do you get furniture in that scale?

That has been a project on my wish list for a while also. I guess a trip to Michaels for another hutch or two is looming in my future.

yeah i saw a lady ho made them she does some neat stuff what was realy cool was a swamp in the drawr, the shelves are a about an inch apart the dreser is six and a half inches from toe to head

Corwin, check out the archives, Melissa (and maybe Darrell) made & furnished a 1:144 scale house. You can use cutdown toothpicks and card as well as paper to make furniture, too. I help DH build buildings for his N-scale trains layout and there are many materials that just won't work in the tiniest scales.

The 1:144 furniture is too small for this size of a hutch. The scale is 1:90 (an unusual scale, but it's the best fit for this size of a hutch).

All the materials to make the furniture were supplied by Sue Ann Thwaite (Ladybug). We basically used small cubes of balsa wood which we whittled and carved with our exacto knives. A gluing jig comes in very handy when building shelves, chairs, and bed posts.

Items like the baby's crib were made out of N scale lattice and fencing materials. We just cut them up and glued them together to form the baby's crib. Fabric tac was a very useful tool in making the bedding, canopy draping, sink skirt, and kitchen tablecloth. To "upholster" living room furniture, just cut your chairs and ottomans out of a balsa wood square (could probably also use foam) and then apply a coat of paint (colour you'd like the furniture to be in the end result), and then put the furniture in a bag of flocking (while the paint is still wet) and shake. You will end up with lovely "upholstered" chairs.

Tiny lamps are made from thin tubing strips and small beads. To make the fruit filled bowls that are on the kitchen table, just mix very very tiny little red beads with tacky glue and put them in a tiny bowl. When the glue dries it disappears. Very easy.

If you'd like to ask about any of the other pieces, just let me know. It really was a lot of fun to do.

First thing I'd do if I were you is pull off the wallpaper that has lifted. We used tacky glue to put on the wallpaper. Measure the exact size of paper before you apply. Be sure and press in the corners nice and sharply (but also being careful not to rip or tear). In these very small rooms you need to be sure the wallpaper fits nice and snug.

I've acquired a new camera since I'd taken these photos last Fall. I'll see if I can get sharper photos of each room.

-Susanne

Great thread, it's funny I found a DBH on ebay today and just discovered that Susanne has a DBH and also to discover this thread! I thought things would be easy by putting 1/144th scale stuff in mine, looks like i'm in for some work! Great tips from Susanne!

I can't wait until it arrives!

I just set up my dutch baby house next to my 1:144 Beacon Hill. The 1:144 furniture actually fits pretty darn good.

Here's a couple of photos for comparison.

BTW, the "light fixtures" on the ceilings in the Dutch Baby House are just flat beads.

-Susanne

Thanks forthe ideas every one, so far ihave a fireplace a kitchen cabnets and two bookshelves done i cant wait to try some of those ideas.Must get to work.... :lol:

well I dont think so...those are 1/4th scale and your lil cabinet is more 1/144th scale

I have not gone digging for my stuff yet..the yucks are keeping me down

good luck on the quest...I am looking forward to seeing what it all looks like in the end!

nutti :lol:

Thanks forthe ideas every one, so far ihave a fireplace a kitchen cabnets and two bookshelves done i cant wait to try some of those ideas.Must get to work.... :giggle:

Nope, 1/4 scale is too big. Has to be 1:144. It's a very tiny scale to put together kit furniture in. SDK has some cute 1:144 kits, but you can also buy cast metal furniture for quite cheap. Just key in 1:144 dollhouse miniatures on ebay. HBS also sells 1:144 metal furniture. The metal furniture looks better if you add some fabric or flocking.

-Susanne