Help Needed!

Tams

I have a very large dollhouse that hubby built for me a couple years ago. The outside is very plain. Right now, it's painted blue and that's it. I've been at a loss for what to do with it, so have left it alone all this time. I found a picture somewhere (maybe even here) of something I would like to try doing, but have no clue how. Can anyone give me some suggestions? The first attachment is my house (before being painted) the second is my inspiration.

post-998-1168396318.jpg

post-998-1168396375.jpg

It would make a great brownstone and you can get that exterior finish easily by adding sand to your paint. Nutti has done that a lot with excellent results. Paperclay would be another option for a stone exterior. As Melanie said, HBS has lots of architectural components, so looking thru their site might give you some inspiration.

Deb

Ah! I love the front of your house! One of my passions is to study commercial building decoration, the pargets & corbels & bargeboards and especially the window trims! Google for pictures of downtown scenes from the 20s & 30s to get some ideas. Paperclay, Das, spackling compound and drywall mud are your friends! Check the thrift stores for old pastry tips & cookie presses.

My first impression is an uptown apartment building with some shops on the bottom floor (perhaps one could be a coffee shop. Whatever you do with it, it will be awesome!

What picture or technique are you referring to? That might help us better help you! :)

If you want to turn it into a brownstone, paint it brown. Do not add sand to the paint, because brownstone is pretty smooth, it doesn't have a rough texture. I'd pick a slightly darker brown to paint in the joint lines where the stones meet.

Brownstones usually have heavy window canopies and sills. Some can be otherwise quite plain, though others will also have some decoration filling in the space above and below the windows, or perhaps some small decorative elements between the windows.

Don't add quoins if you want it to look just right. These were built as row houses, or at least one like yours is a row house. Quoins would be out of place in the middle of a row.

Unfortunately there aren't too many good brownstone pix online. The site that has the most seems to be defunct. Wikipedia has a nice picture though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HarlemBrownstones.JPG

If you'd like more pictures, I'll check through my books and photos tonight. I know I have more brownstone pix.

Me, again.

Also, you might find some useful mouldings at your local lumberyard, Home Depot, etc. For instance, L shaped moulding comes in 2 sizes. One might be just right for the stone canopy type lintels over the windows. Turn the L upside down, glue a little narfrow dollhouse moulding into the inner corner of the L, then a different kind to the top where it meets the wall of the house and you could have a terrific architectural feature. Similar thing for sills.

sand the edges of the mouldings to soften them so they arent so sharp and more stone like.