Duracraft the Columbian CB150

RobinS

Yes, I built one a long time ago for my mother. It was a pretty easy build. I'll see if I have pix, but it may have to wait until this weekend because the pix may be on the other computer.

I think I will start on this one tonight while I am waiting on parts for the Ashley to be cut. It does look very easy to do. I am hoping to take pictures tonight after the kids settle down. I think they are more excited than me! :o

Roberta -

I haven't got a lot of kits under my belt yet. Not like so many of the fantastically gifted people on this site. But, I've learned one thing from the couple of kits I've built: THERE IS NO EXACT RULES OF RIGHT AND WRONG WHEN BUILDING A DOLLHOUSE KIT

Anything that you do can be altered, changed or fixed. The dollhouse kits are so marvelously forgiving of amateurs like myself. Even wood glue can be "unglued".

Enjoy the process. It is incredible the relationship that you build with the house as you put it together. Please share all of your experiences here. And .... lots and lots of photos!!!

-Susanne

Enjoy the process. It is incredible the relationship that you build with the house as you put it together. Please share all of your experiences here. And .... lots and lots of photos!!!

-Susanne

Yup, what she said LOL, actually it is just as Holly said, take a deep breath and then (Well I am one of those that reads the instructions about a gazillions of times and then sort of ignores them :unsure: ) sort of just take one step at a time... And yes please on those pics, we need 'em!!!

Hugs and good luck!

Yup, what she said LOL, actually it is just as Holly said, take a deep breath and then (Well I am one of those that reads the instructions about a gazillions of times and then sort of ignores them ;) ) sort of just take one step at a time... And yes please on those pics, we need 'em!!!

Hugs and good luck!

I've read through them only once so far, will have to re read them once the kids go to bed and I can settle down to concentrate. :unsure: If I start now, my daughter will be over in a heart beat! I think I have a 2nd dh maker in the house. :lol: She was as excited as I was yesterday morning when I ripped off the packaging to see how the box looked. :rofl:

I've read through them only once so far, will have to re read them once the kids go to bed and I can settle down to concentrate. :unsure: If I start now, my daughter will be over in a heart beat! I think I have a 2nd dh maker in the house. :lol: She was as excited as I was yesterday morning when I ripped off the packaging to see how the box looked. :rofl:

Ah well, well well a budding miniturist! That is a good thing for sure! Now, perhaps a little Primrose to start her own building??? ;) Just playing the devil's advocat here ya' know, hehe... That way she will have as much fun as you do with the building and decorating and yet not interfer with your building

Hugs and good luck!

Ah well, well well a budding miniturist! That is a good thing for sure! Now, perhaps a little Primrose to start her own building??? :rofl: Just playing the devil's advocat here ya' know, hehe... That way she will have as much fun as you do with the building and decorating and yet not interfer with your building

Hugs and good luck!

Is almost 5 yrs too young? Hee hee, I already have plans for the dollhouses I am making, the Columbian will be her's to play with, the Linfield mine and the Ashley... :lol: Haven't gotten that far yet! :unsure:

Is there something I can do to make the Columbian stronger? Don't want her to get hurt. Or should I look into a different one altogether?

Thank you and hugs you back!

I just checked the paint can, and it says white pigmented ?? I didn't know there where different kinds of primer! :unsure: Can I use that or should I go buy a different kind?

Go ahead and use it, Robin. Doesn't really matter what kind of paint you use to prime the raw wood except you probably wouldn't want to use one with a high gloss finish as the next coat wouldn't stick as well. I have most of a gallon of ceiling paint left from the real house that I use as an all-purpose primer.

Go ahead and use it, Robin. Doesn't really matter what kind of paint you use to prime the raw wood except you probably wouldn't want to use one with a high gloss finish as the next coat wouldn't stick as well. I have most of a gallon of ceiling paint left from the real house that I use as an all-purpose primer.

Good. Beacause I don't know when I will get back to the store again. :rofl: It is Kilz white pigmented interior oil base sealer, primer, stainblocker.

I will try on a piece of the scrap wood first and see how it goes. We just moved from a house that had 20 gal. of paint in it! If I could of found out about this site before December I would of grabbed a couple gallons! :unsure:

I remember when I still religiously sealed my wood before removing pieces from the sheets I had run out of my usual clear sanding sealer and the only sealer I could find at the time was s*** pigmented sanding sealer. The first kit I built using it taught me not to seal first.

Since then I stopped sealing, if I want to paint or paper I prime first.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked through the kit last night. It has some water damage to it, not to mention the shingles are warped. I will be putting an order in for them from miniatures soon. Hoping I can paint and then weigh down the peices that are warped so they can straighten out. Or should I go ahead and weigh them down first to see how they do?

Try flattening it first, lightly dampen both sides, lay it on a flat surface and wiehgt it evenly all over and leave it until it's dry.

Before I do something I shouldn't, should I remove the warped peices from the board and then dampen and flatten?

I have boards that I believe are shingles, not too sure. Will take pics and post them. Now to go about figuring out how to start the album. :)

I took this picture of some boards inside the box. Are these the shingles?

I do believe this one will be a labor of love. Every single board is warped. I wish I would of opened it after I got it, I would of sent it back and asked for my money! :wave:

post-1588-1169004642_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobinS