Rabit burrow, Question.

Corwin

Ok i am back for a little bit and i am probably going to get draged off by the collar soon. But anyway, i want to create a rabit burrow on the side of my basement of my bgarfild. I have a space about 1.5 inches deep by 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide i was going to create a burrow for some rabits using clay, wit plexi glass on top. it dosn't matter what collor the clay is (i have a realy cool pain techneque) i just dont want to be spending eighty plus dollars on clay :blink: , any one have sughestions on cheap clay? Or a substatute?

Corwin, what about using papiér maché? Soak any kind of paper until it's soggy and pulpy, add a little glue of some kind (wheat paste, Elmers, Aileen's, other white glue) and mix well ... put it in a strainer and squeeze out the excess moisture ... and mold it any which way you like.

If you make the base form by wrapping dry paper with string or tape to hold its shape, you can use a fairly thin (1/4"-1/2") layer of the maché for the outer coat. Give it a good long time to dry ... several days if the maché is on the thick side. It will dry hard and has the added advantage of being quite light.

Since you're going to paint it anyway, doesn't matter what kind/color of paper you use. Newspaper works great.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a neat addition to your house!

Another paper mache technique is to tear old newspaper into narrow strips. You can rough-form your burrow shape with folded newspaper or pieces of card to make the rough form, dip the strips of newspaper into wallpaper paste or Elmer's all-purpose white glue or what have you and lay them over the form, lapping each other; the rougher the better, and tear the strips into smaller and smaller pieces as you build it up. You can pat it smooth every few layers and work in lumps and grooves like in real turf. When it's done you can prime it and if it seems too rough you can go with a small tub of polyfilla (spackling compound) and smooth away the torns-paper edges and paint that.

He he ha ha i used builders foam and carved tunnels from that! It looks so Neat! Thanks for the iidea about card, havanaholy! I used the ide for card, i was going tuse builders foam, and then machhe but it looked so cood and 'carved' i just had to leav it. (and paint it too) :blink:

Thanks every one. So here is my rabbit hole so far, I need rabbits all aside whatya think? I'm not to sure ifi like it te pant i wanted do , i idnt have enough,and i need somthing else perhaps food... Hmmm...

You can always add paint. Food would be a cute idea, and don't forget the baby bunnies (pussywillows come to mind, with the tiny black seedless beads for eyes). When you landscape the house you could put in a nearby veggie garden, convenient to the rabbit-hole.

This is such a neat idea! What are the greyish white things? I thought worms, at first, but they would be pretty big ones. Hard to tell the scale from the picture. I love it! It will really come to life with a rabbit population. Nesting material for the babies, perhaps? You're such a fast worker - I just know we'll be seeing more pics soon! (Me, greedy? Never!) :D