Dollhouse Ritual

Ms. Mini

So I was thinking about this as I was working on my willowcrest "do people have rituals while building there houses?" :idea: Everytime I go into my craft room to start working I have the same routine everytime. I turn on my desktop computer, open my itunes... click on my "dollhouse" play list.. and listen to Jack Johnson, Norah Jones, and Train :cloud9: while I work away... For some reason those 3 are so relaxing and caliming to me. I just get right into the zone. :)

-plug in the workbench light and the hot glue gun.. get out my razor blade, paint, wood glue, and sanding paper...

Also I always have a glass of ice tea, or if its in th evening I have a fresh cup of green tea by my side. And of course my cat is always right at my feet! :giggle:

So now here is my question... What is your "Dollhouse Ritual"? What helps you get into your "zone?"

nutti's worshop

I am arranged in a square

chair in the middle its just a spin and one push to be in the two places I love

when I come in I bring with me my large ice water

light my candles and or potporri and lately I have been enjoying Christmas music!

turn baby on and let her boot up. check e-mail and the forum and decide what Im gonna do

I usually will work till Im at a drying point....

Happy Building

nutti :)

light my candles and or potporri

oo yes i LOVE to light candles in my work room as well... it gets rid of the stain smell or welders glue smell that is often in my room! haha

I have a very small working area....but while in it...I tune out the world.....listen to music and let my imagine go.....I also light candles....something about them so relaxing......sometimes I just sit and look at the house and decide what I'm going to do next.....I get the most work done on a house when I'm really stressed.....so now you know why the village came together so fast.....

First thing I do is put on FoxNews and then into the diningroom where I work and take one look at the mess and say to myself "oh God, where do I start?" Then I get all the chairs out of the way and start while half watching the news. That's definitely my ritual.

My dollhouse is in my kitchen on a work table, so first I clean the whole kitchen so it looks less cluttered. :) I really only get to work on the dollhouse on weekends because I'm worn out from the day job during the week. So I spiff up the room, put on some music (lately it has been Joni Mitchell), get a can of soda, turn on all the lights and yank up the blinds, and go to work. I never answer the phone when I'm dollhousing. And the kitties have finally learned that Mommy will SHOO SHOO SHOO if they come anywhere near the box when I'm working. But after I've wrapped up for the day, they LOVE to sleep on it.

haha thats funny blondie. my cat LOVES to watch me work! I usually close my work room door almost all the way so i dont bother the bf with my music. and sure enough everytime, within 5 mins of me doing so my cat severus cracks open the door. *looks right, looks left* and then jumps on the chair next to mine and just watches me for hours. lol

he loves it. oh and if i leave the room he will follow me until i go back into the room again.. lol

Dollhouse ritual? Whe I open the new kit I begin by sniffing & petting the wood, reading over the instructions, checking the schematics and putting the the plywood sheets into numericalorder because that helps me find tings quickly. I also begin a dialog with the kit on what it wants me to do to it, how it wants to look, what colors it likes, etc. Once the kit & I get acquainted it's a matter of "let's go!" whenever I come into the workroom.

I don't have a particular routine. I'd love to listen to music, but andrew is asleep alot during the day on my days off.....so I try not tomake to much noise.

I did enjoy music today and a cup of tea while i worked on the Beacon Hill. It was nice! A little Vienna Teng...hadn't listened to her cd's in some time now!

It's not really a ritual...........more like an eccentric habit. My studio is my stress-free world because it's where I create. I go there even when I'm not working on something and sometimes I just sit there in the quiet and do nothing. The positive energy in that room is so soothing.

The eccentric habit is that when I'm in the studio, I only listen to music from the 30's and 40's. I can't live without music around me at all times, but everywhere else, I listen to serious rock-n-roll or country. When I go into the studio, I turn on the stereo in there and listen to the local radio station that plays all the old time music. I love sitting there happily creating and singing softly along with Dean Martin, The Andrews Sisters, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, the big bands, etc. I get all contented listening to songs like "Makin' Whoopie" or "Stardust". A couple nights a week, they play "When Radio Was" and I'll spend a happy hour listening to "George and Gracie" or "Our Miss Brooks" or "The Shadow".

On the other hand, when I head to the kitchen, I crank up the radio in there to a biker station that plays Seger, Steppenwolf, AC/DC and ZZ. I can't cook unless I'm rockin'. <cackle>

Deb

Well, my ritual has sort of changed. Usually I work in the garage, but with some extreme temp drops lately, I wanted to move the house inside where it was insulated.

Before the weather drop, I was working in the garage. I would usually wander out there, open up the garage door, and then start cranking my tunes. I have a CD player plugged in out there, and I have been keeping a few CD's in a stack next to the player. The stuff has been along the lines of Courtney Love, Rush, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Stone Temple Pilots........well, anything loud. :thumb:

So Deb, which biker station is your's? Fox or The Mountain? ;)

Stacey

So Deb, which biker station is your's? Fox or The Mountain? ;)

Neither one. :thumb: They play classic rock but both stations are really commercialized. The Mountain was good when they first started, but they rapidly slipped into a more mainstream format. (altho I do listen to Alice Cooper's show on Fox at night) For real biker radio, flip over to 107.9, The Bear. (KPAW) They're out of Ft Collins and they totally rock. The station is even located next door to the Harley dealership. :wave: They don't play the same old top 40 stuff........they play deep cuts from the albums we were listening to in the bars back in the 70's. The first time I listened to The Bear, they played "Heard it on the X", "Who Made Who", two cuts from "Live Bullet" and "I Drink Alone" back to back. I was hooked.

Deb

I don't have much of a dollhouse/crafting ritual as I do my after work routine. I come in from work, kick off the shoes, grab a cup of coffee and sit down at my computer to check email and this forum. Dinner isn't even made until I have my coffee. After dinner and dishes, I sit at my desk and survey the numerous crafting items scattered on it. If I am working on a project, I will try to pick up where I have left off. Or, I start something new. Some nights, I just sit there and roll paper clay around in my hands. It helps me think. Sounds strange though. I guess it works like one of those stress balls. My desk is right next to DH's desk. So, I lean over and see what he is up to, which is usually a game of some sorts. He will usually keep the music going since he is a better DJ than I am. I have caught myself sanding to the beat of various tunes. It is easy to get carried away..oops...a little too much sanding on that piece...LOL. That is about it. Candles are nice and my cat Newman is usually at my feet. You should have seen his eyes last night when I opened a shoebox full of minis. He stood there looking at me, then the box, then at me again. His expression was one of...Hmmm, what can I sneak out of this box? What is it with cats and minis?