Artisan identification

Dollhouse Museum

Hello Friends! My name is Lori Kagan-Moore and I am the founder and curator of the Great American Dollhouse Museum in Danville Kentucky. I am interested in any help I can get identifying marks of artists on merchandise and artifacts that come through the store. I just tried to attach a photograph, but I got a message that it was too big. I’m using an iPhone. What is the easiest way to shrink the photograph in such a way that I can add it? Or I could take another photo but I don’t know how to make it smaller. Any help would be appreciated.

Lori, you can open an album in the Gallery and post photos there. I think it accepts larger images.

Suggestion: make a page on the museum's website for photos of items in need of identification and post the URL here.  

Kathie, it is wonderful to hear from you. I think of you from time to time. The number of things in need of identification is ridiculous and it changes all the time. I do not actually control my own website at all and have no idea how to add or subtract anything. That’s why I was hoping it might be easy to do here. I would love to put a few things on each day. I don’t know whether there are people on the floor of who are interested in, that sort of question. I will try to look for the gallery. I’m not very good with tech stuff lol. 

You need to set up a Gallery first. Go to the Gallery, click Add Images, and then select Members' Gallery and Create New Album.

Next you'll see a screen to enter a name description for your album. This page does give you the option to insert an image from a URL into the description -- it's a little confusing -- just ignore that and click the Create Album button after you've entered a name and (optional) description.

On the next screen you'll be able to add images from your device. The images need to be 1.5 MB or smaller. Often phone pictures are much bigger than this, but you can make them smaller at the site FurMama suggested. Another way on an iPhone is to email the pictures to yourself using the iPhone's email app. When you press the Send button, you should see a message asking what size you want the pictures to be, and you can select one of the options (Large or Medium) to get them under 1.5 MB.

If you're still having trouble, feel free to send me a private message and I'll help you figure it out. If you're not sure how to do that, you can click this link to message me.

I very much appreciate all of your help and support on this. I am grateful for the time you took to write these notes. For the moment, I have now found a Facebook page that is focused on identification of miniatures, and I think it’s going to be a lot easier for me to post pictures there. So I’m going to try that out for a little while and see if it feels the need. For anybody who is interested in joining in the identification project, that Facebook page is called the dollhouse, identification and miniatures group, and you can easily join it to see the posts. Again, thank you for your welcoming responses.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...