finally making an account

muxia

my name is mark! i'm 21 and from southeast michigan. i'm currently an incoming college freshman, majoring in fisheries & wildlife, and i've loved miniatures just about as long as i can remember. i had friends with kit dollhouses (the burning childhood jealousy lingers), and always adored the miniature displays at the henry ford museum and the art institute of chicago, so i was delighted to receive my willowcrest for christmas in 2019, which i spent most of may 2020 putting together.

i've been in and out of peeping through the forums for the past 2 to 3 years as i worked my way through my willowcrest (which remains tragically uncompleted!!!! moved to an apartment and it couldn't come with :(). never struggled too bad, as the house was built without any major ideas of what i wanted out of it. however, i just ordered my first rgt kit (the 1:24 colonial), and now i am certain i'm going to need help finding resources and building my own miniatures, so i finally decided to join the community!

i'm very excited to get to know everybody better, and am eager to hear the advice of more experienced miniaturists!

my included picture is my willowcrest more or less as it stands now. it has some more shingles, but that's about all i've added!

dollhouse2.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Mark, Welcome, I love your Willowcrest!  I have one still in the box as I'm sure many do!  You've done a beautiful job and I hope you decide to finish her someday.  What made you decide to get a colonial?  Hope you'll share pictures of your progress on your projects!

Welcome to the little family, Mark, and is it ever wonderful to see a younger person getting into the obsession hobby.  When I built my 1:24 Fairfields (I built two of them to be halves of a Bar Harbor, ME, summer cottage) I discovered that all the rooms of ready-made "1:24" furniture was actually closer to 1:32 and I ended up making nearly all the furniture.  There are a number of books and plans available for making 1:12 furniture that can easily be scaled down to 1:24, which is how I did it.

Welcome Mark :wave: your Willowcrest is just lovely! Well done! 

I particularly like how you did the siding at the top. I've only seen it done straight across. Nice effect!

Edited by FurMama
additional information

Welcome Mark !

That Willowcrest is quite dandy, between that lovely green and unusual upper siding !

I feel you for having to leave your house behind... Mine is also staying at my parents for now since I dont have the space in my room... You can however do a lot of little things, like paper flowers or tiny kit furniture on a small corner of your desk ! And 1:24 will be much easier to store, too !