My boyfriend wants to get me a laser cutter or Cricut for Christmas...i've been researching the differences for months but am still a little uncertain as to what would be my most compatible option with the best results. I understand the difference in operation & already know that if I were to go with the cricut, it'd have to be the maker 3 as this is the first one with enough pressure to be able to cut through balsa wood (the main thing I'd want to do with it). But have been having a harder time figuring out which option will yield the best/most accurate results when it comes to finesse in the details of cutting things out for miniatures...

My other requirements are:

-It needs to be a fairly user-friendly program for design as I'm not super tech savvy & if it gets too technical in operation, I don't have that much time available for such a learning curve

-I'd also like to be able to engrave with it 

-i like the idea of being able to scan in my own drawings with the Brother scan-n-cut, but as long as the program can import images, I've read reviews saying the brother's scan feature kinda comes up low quality resolution & the touch screen is small so that it makes it hard to do minute adjustments with it

-i'd like the design program to be able to use svg files (preferably without having to pay extra for an additional subscription or upgrade to make that compatibility happen, as with the silhouette cameo)

-I'd also like to be able to cut fabric for quilting (i'm not sure a laser cutter can do this?)

-not the biggest requirement, if I have to,I can make it fit, but the craft room is already low on real estate so I'd prefer something that's a sleek design/not gonna take up too much table space (or require it's own whole second table)

Has anybody got some advice or experience with using any of these machines? How satisfied were you with navigating the software? How accurate are the cutting results?

Thanks for posting this.  I'll be following this topic because I have the same questions.  My DH bought me a $600 3-D printer for my birthday but I returned it because just reading the instructions made my head spin.  I need something WAY more user friendly.  Thinking about a Circuit.....

Yikes! My 3D printer (Creality Ender 3) was less than $200.  It was intimidating to assemble, but I followed a clear YouTube video and was successful. 

To print, you insert an SD card with a gcode file, level the bed (everyone complains about it, but it's just a nuisance, not difficult), and tell it to print.

The design programs have a steeper learning curve, but just printing flat pieces to assemble (SVG files) would be fairly straight forward.

I have a Cricut Maker and a Mr. Beam lasercutter. There is a big difference between the two. Most specifically, with any lasercutter you are cutting with a laser so you are burning the material. It requires a filtration system as, in addition to the smoke, some materials have glues (like MDF) and those fumes are toxic. 
There is also a big difference between the software necessary to create files for these machines. Cricut uses DesignSpace, for our lasercutter we use InkScape (which has a steep learning curve). There are numerous YouTube tutorials out there for all of these machines and apps, so I suggest you watch several for each type of machine before making a decision.

From what you describe as your intended use, I think the Maker will do what you want. It has a smaller footprint and can be stored on a shelf. With a lasercutter you need to be prepared to dedicate a workspace to it. It’s not the kind of device that you can get out and put away. So there are lots of things to consider including price and safety. Some lasercutters don’t have safety covers to protect your eyes and don’t come with filtration systems. So “buyer beware” and do lots of research.

I also have an Elegoo 3D printer. It’s another great tool, but again, you are dealing with toxics and need to dedicate a workspace to the printer and the wash/cure unit. You need software (again, learning curve) and a computer to run the software, and should be responsible about any toxic waste disposal.
None of these tools is one-size-fits-all. They are each most useful for specific tasks. So I suggest you decide which of the functions you’ve outlined are the most important to you, taking into consideration the limitations you may have, and go from there. 

What I do love about the Cricut machines is I can run DesignSpace on my iPad. It makes it extremely easy to use the machine. And I store it in a closet and set it up on a table when I want to use it. Then back in the closet it goes. But not the LC and the 3D printer. They are permanent residents on a six foot table in the garage.

Good luck! I hope this info helps.

• Thanks 1

I have both the Cricut Maker and the Ortur Laser Mastr 20W, that was 289.00. I do not cut MDF and I have a fan with a heavy duty air purifier. I've had no issues with fumes. I like both, but I now prefer the laser cutter for cutting wood. The problem with the Cricut: it doesn't always cut all the way through, many times it splits the wood, many times I have to finish the cut with the my knife and that doesn't always work out well for me. It takes sooooo much longer with the Cricut Maker. Now, having said that, you can do so much more for miniatures with the Maker than the Laser cutter. So, I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for. Strictly wood, I would go with the Laser, but there is a great designer, Spellbound Miniatures, that designs adorable SVG files you can use with the Maker. She uses chipboard and craft board in layers to create her designs. The Maker is perfect for that. 

Have fun with whichever one you get! 

Kim

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2021 at 6:39 PM, KatFord said:

I have both the Cricut Maker and the Ortur Laser Mastr 20W, that was 289.00. I do not cut MDF and I have a fan with a heavy duty air purifier. I've had no issues with fumes. I like both, but I now prefer the laser cutter for cutting wood. The problem with the Cricut: it doesn't always cut all the way through, many times it splits the wood, many times I have to finish the cut with the my knife and that doesn't always work out well for me. It takes sooooo much longer with the Cricut Maker. Now, having said that, you can do so much more for miniatures with the Maker than the Laser cutter. So, I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for. Strictly wood, I would go with the Laser, but there is a great designer, Spellbound Miniatures, that designs adorable SVG files you can use with the Maker. She uses chipboard and craft board in layers to create her designs. The Maker is perfect for that. 

Have fun with whichever one you get! 

Kim

When you say the maker splits the wood sometimes or doesn't cut through all the way, is this with using your own whatever scrapwood u have lying around that's measured approx 3mm? Or does it still happen with even their fancy pre-sized cricut exclusive wood sheets meant for the maker? Are you using the regular blade? Or the "deep cut" blade? (I've read that they recommend the deep cut blade as the only tip that cuts wood, but it is sold separately from the machine)

On 12/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, Seirra said:

When you say the maker splits the wood sometimes or doesn't cut through all the way, is this with using your own whatever scrapwood u have lying around that's measured approx 3mm? Or does it still happen with even their fancy pre-sized cricut exclusive wood sheets meant for the maker? Are you using the regular blade? Or the "deep cut" blade? (I've read that they recommend the deep cut blade as the only tip that cuts wood, but it is sold separately from the machine)

Hi. To cut wood you need the Maker and you have to use the knife blade. I've had the wood split with the wood I find and the Cricut wood, not as much with the Cricut wood, but it does happen. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 7:38 AM, Dawnhvr said:

I have a cricut 2. Would I be able to cut a front for my dollhouse? And how would I get the correct dimensions? 

Are you talking about the front wall for the entirety of your dollhouse? Or just a certain section? If it's two stories tall, i think it might be a little outside of the cutting parameters for the cricut depending on the length it would have to be...are you asking about getting the dimensions for the front wall from your dollhouse? Or referring to checking the size on cricut's design space before sending your material through to cut? (For that, there's grid rulers on the canvas page if you click on the little square between the x & y axis in the top corner...)

Also, you might want to double check but I'm not sure the cricut maker 2 applies enough pressure to be able to cut through wood. And the cutting mat maxes out at a 12" width, so one of the front walls dimensions would need to be that or less to be able to do it on there. I'd probably recommend just using a ruler & good sharp craft blade & scoring through the wood a few times til it cuts, then sanding it to "perfect"....windows can be scored to cut out too...