dollhouse plans vs. kits

ouchouch

I see a lot of sites and even on ebay selling dollhouse plans. Does anybody work with dollhouse plans? You know build from scratch and work with blueprints from these sites? If so, what's your experience on it? Do you need to be an "expert" on building dollhouses? Like how many houses do you think you'll need under your belt before stepping into challege like this? Hah. I have no idea what I'm asking. I guess I'm wondering what ya'll think of it...?

Think the plans may be the way I go next time. Since I don't like the windows, doors, stairs and trim that come with the kits, all I really use is the walls and floor and roof boards. It's good my kits cost almost nothing.

A good wood cutter and some proper measurements for the windows, doors etc that you plan on using, is basically all you need if you decide for a plan, just like a full-size house.

The most important thing I think is just to make sure you don't leave out the architectural aspects of a house and end up with a square box. Add that tower, bay etc.

Happy mini-ing

Marlene, so would you buy just a shell? I've never seen the inside of those shell kits. Probably a basic six room config. But basically anything goes. You would think those shell kits wouldn't cost so much. But damn.

I've purchased a few dollhouse plans, and I am very excited to start building from scratch. Some plans are definately better than others! The Architect's Choice plans I have are very thorough and well designed, and come with instructions for construction that are similar to what you get in a kit. If you've got a circular saw (or something like it) and enough space, you could measure and cut all of the pieces from 3/8 plywood rather easily, and start with something like a kit. The plans tell you how much plywood you'll need, and how best to lay out the parts on the wood so as to not waste.

I decided to try plans so I can customize a little bit more. I thought about the shell kits, but I agree that they are pricey, and the layouts are often boring. It doesn't look like you would need to be an expert to try doing it from scratch, as long as the plans are clear and easy to follow, but I'm hoping that doing a few kits first will give me enough basic knowledge to venture out on my own! I've just started my 3rd kit, and I've gathered enough confidence to begin purchasing wood and planning to start from scratch when this one is complete.

I agree with you Adallae the shells are very overpriced. Its not too difficult to cut wood and make what you want for a fraction of the cost.

Many of the building home center stores now even sell 2-side finished plywood in small "leftover" pieces for almost nothing.

I built my first dollhouse many years ago from HouseWorks plans, I have no building skills but found it quite easy and enjoyable. Building from plans gives you more flexability. Pictures of my first house are in my gallery under Maine Seaside Farmhouse and Maine Dollhouses.

IMHO what you need to do your own dollhouse. A table saw, if you want to cut walls that are actually straight and perpedicular. A Band saw, for any off cuts, curved cuts etc. You could use the band saw for straight cuts too, I'd prolly do that, but a table saw is nice. A push stick, unless your fingers offend you. A cutout saw, for windows and doors, in case you want those kind of things. Then there's stands for each of the tools. Oh, and a drill press. Man this is fun. Like spindles? A lathe. Mine was only 400.

Our table saw is the only free standing unit that we have. The bandsaw and sander are anchored to one work bench, my scroll saw is on another work bench. The drill press and power miter saw are anchored to an old angle iron TV table that has 3/4' plywood cut to fit. Our bench grinder is anchored to a third work bench, and we have a fourth bench that serves as a work area.

I have an old Houseworks book that I bought years ago that has a couple of patterns and directions for 1/12 dollhouses. I saw the same book on ebay a couple of weeks ago that sold for about $20. The funny thing is the book is still available from HBS for $5.95. Go figure.

Our table saw is the only free standing unit that we have. The bandsaw and sander are anchored to one work bench, my scroll saw is on another work bench. The drill press and power miter saw are anchored to an old angle iron TV table that has 3/4' plywood cut to fit. Our bench grinder is anchored to a third work bench, and we have a fourth bench that serves as a work area.

I have an old Houseworks book that I bought years ago that has a couple of patterns and directions for 1/12 dollhouses. I saw the same book on ebay a couple of weeks ago that sold for about $20. The funny thing is the book is still available from HBS for $5.95. Go figure.

Tres Kewel, could ya PM me a coupla' piccies? :welcome:

I've been trying to design a functional work space within a small area. Got the drill press, scroll saw, 2 sanding centres, planning on the band and table saws. Very soon. Problem is where to locate the milling machine and metal working lathe. BTW, I have the mill and lathe, but they require so much space around them. Any suggestions very appreciated.

Shells are very overpriced, IMO. I have a few of the Houseworks books that you can build shops out of a sheet or two of plywood. I also have a dollhouse plan that I would love to build but it's so massive that I don't have room. After Christmas, I want to scale it to 1/4 and build it out of matboard/cardboard to get familiar with the process. Then I might do it as a half scale house. I love the design, but it's just too big for my house in full scale. If I do end up building it, I'll have to get my dad to dust off his table saw and other tools.

I've heard some prefer to buy sheets of MDF instead of the higher grade plywood that's advised. It's cheaper and you get a smoother base. I have an MDF kit and I really liked it, but I know many people do not like MDF. Any opinions of MDF vs. ply?

Sorry Doogster, no pictures available. It's an unfinished half basement. My house is high enough off the ground that I could drive my full sized pick up under it, stand in the back and still not reach the floor joists.

Beside, why would you want pictures of spiders and webs? They really love it at the moment.

We're planning to pour concrete in the spring and do a major cleaning under there. Still trying to find a place for most of our stuff. We did add a 12x12 room on the back of the house for additional work room/storage which helped out. One wall is nothing but peg board. Most of the small stuff is in there along with an old kitchen table and one of the work benches I mentioned. That is the one with my scroll saw. We are looking to install several more base cabinets too.

The other benches are located along the outside walls. The drill press/miter saw table is against a floor support (pier), the table saw is in the middle of the floor. We started to clean out because we couldn't run a full sheet of plywood through the table saw without problems. Man, I DON'T want to be on the wrong side when a piece kicks back. DH had to do a lot of digging to get us to this point and we're still trying to figure out where we want things. I'd like to get a lathe one day but not just yet, maybe in a couple of years.

I built my first dollhouse many years ago from HouseWorks plans, I have no building skills but found it quite easy and enjoyable. Building from plans gives you more flexability. Pictures of my first house are in my gallery under Maine Seaside Farmhouse and Maine Dollhouses.

From your experience, what would you say was your preference? You've built from plans, kits and have also remodelled pre-built houses.

Also, which of your houses would you say is your favourite, and why?

-Susanne

I think my favorite and most gratifying house I've built is my Victorian Farmhouse from a plan. It's helped to give me some woodworking experience and kept my math skills up to date which is now useful in my fullsize home. Working from kits is enjoyable because of the quick satisfaction you get from having a beautiful house in a short amount of time. But lately I've been hooked to old dollhouses that need a loving home and are desperate for a facelift, while I remodel these homes I see the techniques others have used and this has been extremely useful to me in that I see the mistakes they've made and also I've learned better ways of doing things through these houses. But all in all I just love this wonderful hobby and all the aspects of it.

Right now I've got an Arrow dollhouse (prebuilt that I bought on ebay for $7.50). I've always planned on turning it into an 1890's farmhouse. I think mostly because I'd really like to landscape a huge yard. But lately, I've been looking at the house and am dying to do it into a Christmas house. I've got an urge to paint it bright colours. I'm deciding whether these thoughts are emanating from the house or from within myself. I know that I can still create the large garden that I'd like to do without having to do up a farmhouse. I've got a cute 1/2 scale thatched roof cottage that I could use as a shed in the garden.

Anyway, back to a miniature scene that I'm creating for a Christmas present for my brother ....

-Susanne

Using Tangerman's book from Dover Publications DH & I built our granddaughter's first dh from a single sheet of plywood and DH used many *magic* words when he discovered the pattern for the second floor was reversed!

I have been drafting a 1:12 version of one of Gustav Stickley's Craftsman bungalows onto 1/4" grid paper with the idea of building it one day. I also have the directions for making a South Beach-style house that was in a copy of Miniature Collector mini years ago. The reason I stopped subscribing to DHMS was that Warner Grouop stopped publishing dh plans, like the Fanceys had done when they published it. When Greenleaf gets tired of me building their kits (HAH!!!, it's for sure I won't!) I'll have to move on into building my own.

Did I mention I'll have to live to be 211?