Do you wire the inside or back of your house?

Mountbatten

General inquiry - do you tend to wire the inside of your houses, or the backs of your houses? 

I am using tapewire and was all set to wire the inside until I saw a video where they demonstrate wiring through the back, which seems a lot easier for maintenance and decorating. The main thing I don't like about it is that the back of my house would be a mess (unless I put some kind of hinged door or false back on it). My house is the Grosvenor Hall - it's big, lots of rooms. 

Am wondering what the general dollhouse population prefers doing?

Hello Clifford,

I seem to wire my houses a little different each time. Running the wire to the back of the house sounds like a perfect solution for a front opening house. Making a false panel that is secured with magnets on a lightweight piece of material might be easier than hinges.

• Like 1

Hi Clifford,

Like Carrie I wire mine differently each time.  For a room box I did recently for a friend, I ran the wires out the back and created a little box like a pump house on the back which stored the battery holder.  For a large house I created space underneath by gluing on spaces.  I ran the wires down the inside walls behind paneling or through drainpipes on the back from the attic.  I then connected the round wires to the tape wire on the bottom and hid everything under there.  For another large place I landscaped, ran the wires down through the floor and through the foam that formed the scenery base.  I cut a chunk out for the battery box to sit at the end so that it was easy for me to get to, to switch on and off.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I plan to light my house by building a back panel and wiring that part. Each room will have wall sconces of some kind, so when you look thru the front windows, there will be some light. I will supplement with some battery operated pieces. This is my first full scale house (1:12), so I was a bit unsure about committing to full wiring, so I opted for the "back panel" idea, since it would be the easiest to mend if I have to... I'll keep everyone posted!   

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2021 at 9:18 AM, Mountbatten said:

General inquiry - do you tend to wire the inside of your houses, or the backs of your houses? 

I am using tapewire and was all set to wire the inside until I saw a video where they demonstrate wiring through the back, which seems a lot easier for maintenance and decorating. The main thing I don't like about it is that the back of my house would be a mess (unless I put some kind of hinged door or false back on it). My house is the Grosvenor Hall - it's big, lots of rooms. 

Am wondering what the general dollhouse population prefers doing?

Did you ever figure out which way you were going to do it.I too have  Grosvenor and basement on the go so am curious.I guess you watched the DHE video re wiring, I find it irratating as there are two people on it talking to each other rather than one to one with the camera.

On 4/11/2021 at 1:03 PM, Thimble Hall said:

Did you ever figure out which way you were going to do it.I too have  Grosvenor and basement on the go so am curious.I guess you watched the DHE video re wiring, I find it irratating as there are two people on it talking to each other rather than one to one with the camera.

I have the grosvenor hall too and was considering running wires out the back.  A salesperson at a dollhouse shop told me there grooves were already cut in the floor for wiring and I hoped the kit up this weekend and no grooves to run the wires.  How do you cut the grooves?