Wallpaper Paste and Sealer

Bob Hood

I have had some bad experiences with wallpaper.  Everything from unimanagable paste to actually rubbing  the pattern off.  I finally got better paper and used a spray on sealer. I guess that's just how you learn.  Do you have any tips or tricks to share.

By the By I Love This Site 

Fixative sealer and the wallpaper paste in small tubs at HD or Lowe’s. Dry fit the paper, first. Make sure your pattern lines up with the next piece. I work from left to right around the room. With a 3 inch wide paint brush apply the paste to the paper. Fold it in half to allow the paste to spread evenly and cure for a minute. Apply the paper from the rear top of the room to the front top then smooth it down with your hand. Gently Smooth the paper out with an old credit card. Wait until the paper is completely dry before cutting out windows, doors or any excess using a brand new blade.

• Like 2

Yes, apply the sealer first. I lay all of the sheets, usually three per room, out on a table to match up the pattern. Then cut the paper to the proper height. Number them 1,2,3.  I usually wrap at least 1/4 inch around the corner butting the next sheet up to the previous sheet’s edge.  Some people overlap into the corner when a pattern isn’t involved.

yes, I’d consider myself a pro after wallpapering many real life rooms in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 2

I work in smaller scales. Here is what I learned - this might not be the case for all, but here it is:

-I hated wallpapering until I used Yes Paste (which I love, but I know not everyone does) - no more bubbles, wrinkling, warping -  and it gave me time to position the paper.

-I don't use wallpaper paste to attach borders on top of pasted wallpaper. I use tacky glue. 

-Definitely spray sealer.

-I use papers that don't need too much matching up because I know I am not reliable on that.

-And if I am using a border or baseboard, I relax about it meeting the top and bottom *perfectly* since I'll be covering those up. 

• Like 1

Not liquid. It is very thick smooth substance. I use a credit card often to get it on thin and smooth. A little goes a long way, but you also want good coverage. It is slow drying, but grippy. I've had my jar for 3+ years now. 

I found a pic of it outside the jar:

Joan-Pine-Cone-Tutorial-5.gif

• Like 2

I use premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store and if it doesn't blotch or run the bit of paper I test it on I don't seat.  In addition to dollhouse wallpaper I have covered walls with gift wrap, wine gift bag and scrapbook papers.  I don't use wallpaper paste on fabric, I use tacky glue.

• Like 2

I think i am going to shop for the paste at Walmart.  You have a good idea about testing the paper and paste.

Hey Holly ......You don't have a cat do you?

I don't think I want one to turn my dollhouse into a Cat House

22 minutes ago, Bob Hood said:

Holly......... You almost got me.  I looked up that brayer tool and that's a great idea. I never heard of that tool.

You Go

Thanks for your help

Bob, Holly is famous for making us lookup some of her terms. She has an impressive vocabulary.