Fairy House Tree Stump

Sable

• 6 months later...

While in France, my BIL had recently installed a new door on the Chateau. It inspired me to make a copy of it for the Fairy House. Granted his is more grand than mine but I managed to replicate the iron nails. I’m hoping that the redwood I picked up from Orchard’s “going out of business sale” will hold up to the Florida humidity. I’m really proud of the arch I made by using the Dremel sander. I’m trying to decide if I should put a few coats of polyurethane on it. The door knob/lock set was just spray painted black and is currently drying. I need my husband to cut away the ferns which have overtaken the front of the stump so I can begin working on it again. The heat has been unbearable so I’ll continue to work on windows and doors in the a/c until the temperature gets down to the 80’s.

31AE92DB-2FA3-420C-96DA-EB93E7B61D10.jpeg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Magnifique!  What did you use for the nailheads?

Thanks, Holly. I cut straight pins 1/4”, nailed them in and dotted the heads with a black Sharpie. That’s one reason I’m going to have to poly it.

Assuming the poly will keep the pin heads from rusting too badly it ought to help the redwood.  A lot of the Adirondack-type porch furniture one sees is made from redwood.  I think it has anti-rot properties similar to cedar & cypress, no?

I had finished the door’s back panel made of redwood and polyurethaned one side of it with the intention of sealing the other side the next day. I placed it in the tree for size and left it there overnight knowing it wasn’t going to rain. When I woke up I looked out the window and to my shear angst noticed my husband was watering the lawn/tree stump!!!!! It warped!!! So much for redwood holding up to the elements. But all was not lost, it managed to curve itself into the tree making it fit a little more snuggly. I waited for it to dry and am still applying more coats of poly.  I still didn’t speak to him the rest of the day.  Meanwhile, I found outdoor hobby paint at HL and mixed up a light blue color to paint to hopefully seal the windows. Here is my first window. Tomorrow I will work on a flower box for it:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=134861&tab=comments

39 minutes ago, Sable said:

I had finished the door’s back panel made of redwood and polyurethaned one side of it with the intention of sealing the other side the next day. I placed it in the tree for size and left it there overnight knowing it wasn’t going to rain. When I woke up I looked out the window and to my shear angst noticed my husband was watering the lawn/tree stump!!!!! It warped!!!...I still didn’t speak to him the rest of the day...

Is that grounds for divorce?