gluing doll hair

cindy19335

Oh my, got another question for you.

I have a male doll, I want to make him have long hair. I purchased another doll to cut the hair off of, now I want to add this straight hair to the doll.

Anyone have ideas on how to do this. Think I should try to glue it, think I should try to sew it to bias tape and then glue it to the doll??

I'm trying to make this doll look like my son (he has long straight hair which he keeps in a ponytail......dollhouse is for grand-daughter and I'm trying to make family look alikes......

Thanks, thanks thanks for any and all ideas!!

I'm no expert, but this is how I do it. If you want a centre parting:

Put a line of glue (tacky glue or similar) from forehead to the back of the head, slightly off centre. Take a length of hair, place it, spread out, along your glue line so that the cut edge is arranged along the length of the glue line. Leave it to dry. Once dry put a little glue on the opposite side of the head from your length of hair. Flip it over the top onto the glue. Then put another thin line of glue next to your existing hair line on the other side. Take another length of you hair, hold the long end over your existing hair and press down on to your new glue line.

Wait until it is dry, then put a little glue on the bald side of the head and flip the hair over onto it. Once dry trim to desired length.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing if you get stuck let me know and I'll find a web tutorial for you.

Ellen :)

Hi Cindy,

I would definitely check out the tutorial link to Dana Burton's site- they have a great how to on hair. And definitely glue it directly to the doll and not to any biase tape first or it will be really bulky and you won't be happy with the results. I'm assuming this is a 1:12 scale doll you're making - what size is the doll you took the hair off of? You can buy dollhair in all different colors and what you really want to get for doll hair is viscous - it's fine enough that it's VERY in scale. Hair like from a barbie is pretty thick in comparison and may not lay the way you want it. Viscous has great working properties and can be styled and made to lay on the doll the way human hair lays on a real person. Minikits at minikitz.com sells small hanks of viscous dollhair for reasonable and has a reasonable shipping cost - you don't get much hair from them but they estimate it's enough to make a couple of dolls. You'll look for the tab on the left hand list that says "Doll kits, Wigging kits, Manequins"

Hope this helps some,

-David

Just love all the new info sites I can pick up from you guys!!!

Used some carded (unspun) alpaca wool for my wizard's hair (had it from my spin-my-own-yarn kick, don't ask :) ) If you know someone who spins or have access to natural fibers, a lot of them make wonderful wigs.

Viola Williams has a DVD out called 'Wigging Minature Women' that's very good, but kinda tough to get your hands on I believe. If you can get it though it's well worth it. She uses Tacky Glue BTW.

Viola Williams has a DVD out called 'Wigging Minature Women' that's very good, but kinda tough to get your hands on I believe. If you can get it though it's well worth it. She uses Tacky Glue BTW.

Thanks Doogster - I haven't seen that one. I'll have to keep my eyes out for it. I have Jamie Carrington's DVD "Assembling, Painting & Wigging" which I really love - he's very good at showing all the steps and letting you see exactly how he does things. The DVD is produced by Polymer Clay Express and should run about $25 (before shipping). I've got 4 of his DVD's so far and I"m looking forward to a nice rainy day when I can sit down and watch them all again and follow along with my own work heheh :)

-David

I've got a birthday wish list that has all of Jamie Carrington's DVDs, and his book (1/12 Scale Character Figures for the Dolls House). Won't be long until my birthday, and I'll find out if any of my wishes came true! :welcome:

Found this in my bookmarks:

http://www.nickycc.co.uk/stitchedwigtut.htm

This lady (Nicky) does WONDERFUL dolls and her "how to wig" tutorial is different than some I have seen.

Great tutorial, Tracy, thanks for the link. Her dolls are spectacular...maybe next time I'll try this method and see if I get better results. Really liked the way hers turned out.

I've got a birthday wish list that has all of Jamie Carrington's DVDs, and his book (1/12 Scale Character Figures for the Dolls House). Won't be long until my birthday, and I'll find out if any of my wishes came true! :)

Hi Jackie,

Hope you get some good stuff off your birthday wish list! You won't be disappointed in any of Jamies DVDS and it seems like every few months I go back and reference out of the book again for one thing or another. His dolls have such good facial preportion - no distortions or cartoony looks - and have you been to his website lately? He's done a couple of fantasy dolls - I hope he does more :wub:

-David :)

Glue the hair in sections Lets say your son (was it your son you mentioned?) has a centre parting. Well firstly you start gluing the doll hair at the base of the head behind the ears (just above the neck) and then work your way up to the crown but you must make sure that when you are gluing towards the centre parting that you leave a space of about half a millimetre and that would be your centre parting.

Will have to check into Jamie Carrignton's DVD's. I love instructional stuff. Can watch it time and time again. I really have to get the intro DVD's for the mill and lathe.

Hey Doogster

If you get those DVD's on the mill and lathe let me know how you like them! Someday I'd like to give it a shot just to say I tried it. :) But I'm afraid I never got as far as using the lathe back in high school woodshop.

-David :)

This month's American Miniaturist (Nov) has the how to for wigging the witch she showed last month...it's a really simple method so this might be helpful.

And if you guys start doing turnings be sure to keep us posted -- love that stuff.

His dolls have such good facial preportion - no distortions or cartoony looks - and have you been to his website lately?

Terrence Lynch published a wonderful article about Jamie's dolls and had to post a poll on the DHM forum beforehand, as well as write a perfectly awful editorial defending his decision because one of the dolls pictured was a retired stripper and it was nude and he was aware of all the narrow little minds "out there".

Terrence Lynch published a wonderful article about Jamie's dolls and had to post a poll on the DHM forum beforehand, as well as write a perfectly awful editorial defending his decision

I had thought that editorial was a bit over the top...usually his ramblings are informative and rather interesting, but I wondered what brought that on...there was a poll too? I don't go there often, so I guess I missed it. Can't believe there was a fuss over a Jamie Carrington doll.

I had thought that editorial was a bit over the top

You should have seen some of the anti-doll picture posts (obviously from people who didn't bother to sully their minds with facts by chekcing out the picture) on the forum; it was embarassing to read peoples' ignorance! But if that was a sampling of the emails & letters he got I certainly applauded Terry's decision to run it anyway. Considering that AM often runs articles about the same artisans as DHM (in Sept they both ran articles about Ferd & Millie Sobol), it was interesting that DHM is the only one to run the Jamie Carrington doll article.