Hancock Fabrics closing all stores!

Cathy C

I bought fabric to make mini bedding today and found out that ALL Hancock Fabric stores are closing!  Everything that is on sale or clearance today will return to regular prices tomorrow when the liquidators arrive.  All merchandise will be liquidated over the next couple of months and then the stores will permanently close.  :cry:

So sad to hear this !!!

I remember going to Hancock's with my Grandmother and picking out my first sewing supplies. They used to have one in my home town but then moved so I hardly got to go there anymore. Whenever I had the opportunity I would stop in and take a look around. Sometimes you could find things there that you just couldn't find anywhere else. I don't know about anyone else but where I live in North Texas fabric stores are becoming fewer and fewer as well as quilt shops where you find the better quality fabric. I do like the convenience of shopping on-line but sometimes I just want to SEE a fabric or TOUCH it. Anyone else fell that way ?

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I didn't know there were any Hancock stores left; all I've seen for the past several years were Jo-Ann's.

They recently closed 70 stores and are now closing the rest, 190 stores.  

44 minutes ago, smjsome said:

I agree!  Touching and seeing, I prefer that to buying online

Me too!

When my friend the quilter was visiting, she insisted on visiting the Hancock Fabrics store in addition to our already jam-packed schedule of planned events. Knowing her penchant for exquisite fabrics, I told her she would not find anything she liked there, but still she begged to see for herelf. One night, on our way home from someplace in a dreadful rainstorm, we went out of our way to grant her wish. We were in the store no more than two minutes when she realized her mistake. She thought Hancock Fabrics was related to Hancock's of Paducah, one of the finest quilt shops in the country. 

we've never had one in my area...all we had was Zinks where the amish would go to buy material..they do have a wide selection now that the owners daughter is running it..

sad to hear about Hancock though, I remember my mother going there to buy material

It's not too surprising to me, they haven't had anything I've wanted to buy in years.  I used to go there all the time, but they started carrying more and more crap, I mean cheap ugly stuff.  They just aren't competing well with the bigger stores.  Joann's has more product, nicer stuff and is better lit.  And I never have to hunt for someone to cut my fabric. 

That is sad to hear.  The Hancocks near me has been so understaffed for the past few years.  It was such a pain to shop there.  Long waits at the cutting table and the checkout counter.  I always felt so sorry for the employees.  I've been shopping at Joann's and Hobby Lobby for fabric and luckily there is a wonderful quilt fabric store close to me.

I went by today and stopped to check out what they had.  They are liquidating the entire stock so everything is on sale.  (Unlike some stores that take all the good stuff off the shelves first).  Most of it is 20% off.  Some non fabric things are 30% off.  Patterns are 50% off.  The store was busier than I have seen it in years. 

I picked up a couple paper punches in shapes that I can use to make flowers. 

I shopped at my local Hancock Fabric today also.  They are requiring a two yard minimum to cut fabric.  I don't need that much fabric for my minis.  So, I just bought some of their pre-packaged 18" x 21" fabrics at 30% off.