plates?

chatrbug

Well there are several different ways to do this, one is to find suitable buttons as the base to which you glue the printed plate, another is to print the design onto a slightly sturdier paper compared to regualr printer paper and then press down the centre of the paper circle, prefferably in a sort of a mold, ie you make a form of the indentation you want to make (cut a circle with a hole in the middle the size of the indentation you want) place your design plate on top of your form and use a flat sided dowel to press down the middle. Hard to explain perhaps but it is fairly easy, then again if you are going to add them to a plate rack of sorts you might get away with more "flat" plates as well :banana:

I know that there is one of those little tools somewhere to purchase a stamping sort of tool, but I have forgotten where I am sorry to say.

Hugs

I know there are folks here who have printed their own plates. i hope they tell you how, because I would like to know, too!

I think Nutti printed out the Halloween plates for one of her hutches. The plates and hutch looked great!

For what it's worth... I print them out on card stock, then after cutting them out, I shape them with a pencil eraser. Not high tech, but it works. I go over the cut edges with a paint pen, then spray them with high gloss poly.

Hope this helps.

Carol

thank you! i knew i had seen a tutorial somewhere..although i have been reading everything i can on making my own stuff...so i didnt know if i had dreamed it... but my question is..in that tutorial..what did they use to make the plate? is that photograph paper since its pretty shiny?

I have made mine out of fimo and a button.

You can bake the fimo right on the button but the button HAS to be the hard plastic type.

You then wait for iy to cool then pry it off..it POPS right off. Then you file it and decopauge any plate printi you want on it and finish it in any finish you want.

It workrd great for me but they do tend to warp after awhile but a hair dryer and a weight of some kind will do the trick.

I think I am going to do the air dry clay way today,,,seems they wont warp at aLL.

I will post picks when done.

You could also use the cold porcelaine technique, seems they woulo look l,ore realistic?????

Wen

P.S.

I made some new rugs if anyone wants to look:

I use whatever plate printie I can find that is alreadin in scale....

I also subscribe to printmini and last yr she had plates as her monthly freebie

I am cheep and easy

I use regular cardstock paper

I print the plates spray with sealer

cut out the plates lay them on my mousepad

take a highlighter marker ---center on plate

pressdown and make a circle motion with the marker

makes a nice plate shape.

than I use a clearcoat of nail polish and use gold marker to go around the outside(opt)

the last few plates I made didnt have this last part because the kid used my pen last and didnt give it back :D :down:

made this way they look great in a hutch or on the wall to put on a table I would probably do something fancier.

hope this helps!

Happy Building

nutti :banana:

I also read somewhere of scanning dinnerware ads and resizing them in your Paint program to print. After you seal them to prevent the ink from smearing & let them dry you paint them with the clear nail enamel to make them shine like porcelain.

You can also use the plastic liner inside some bottles of soda...I found that Faygo soda has liners that are really easy to remove..You could use the decoupage method to decorate them..or just paint them..I recently managed to get one the the plastic liners out the bottle cap of a bottle of Perrier...it was a little more difficult and it was kinda wrinkly when I finally managed to detach it...but I ran a ligher underneath it and the wrinkles went away...

I made glue glass plates for the Sugarplums I built for children, to stack in the little corner cupboard.

Details please!!!!!!

I give up ... what is "glue glass"?

I have no idea either and I am intruiged :)

Hugs

You can also use the plastic liner inside some bottles of soda...I found that Faygo soda has liners that are really easy to remove..You could use the decoupage method to decorate them..or just paint them..I recently managed to get one the the plastic liners out the bottle cap of a bottle of Perrier...it was a little more difficult and it was kinda wrinkly when I finally managed to detach it...but I ran a ligher underneath it and the wrinkles went away...

Oh, I had forgotten about those! My father used to pop those out for me to use as Barbie-doll plates when I was little. Thanks for bringing that up! :)

I give up ... what is "glue glass"?

You can Google for sites to tell you how, & different glues yield different results, but I use Elmer's all-purpose white glue on the bottom of a plastic pill bottle to make translucent "milk glass" plates. You can't get them wet, but other glues are more impervious to water. It's a lot of fun to play with, I first read about it on the DHM forum, www.dhminiatures.com/forum (check their archives).

You can Google for sites to tell you how, & different glues yield different results, but I use Elmer's all-purpose white glue on the bottom of a plastic pill bottle to make translucent "milk glass" plates. You can't get them wet, but other glues are more impervious to water. It's a lot of fun to play with, I first read about it on the DHM forum, www.dhminiatures.com/forum (check their archives).

Neat! Sounds like somehting that could be fun playing about wiht isntead of peeling things like this away :)

Hugs

Thanks, Holly. That is a great Idea!

Thanks, Holly and Irene ... I have the center of a Russell Stover candy box ... lots of different shapes to try out. And the plastic is thin enough that I think a gentle push from the backside will pop them out.

Heading downstairs to pour some glue!