Sod house project

prariegurl

The sod house project is looking more and more likely. Despite the facte I have three unbuilt kits at home, when I mentioned it to hubby last night he was all gung ho.

Thanks to the helpful folks here, all four articles in the series are on their way to me!

I went through my stash last night and found I had a couple pieces of furniture on hand that would work well in a soddy.

I was cruising the Nebraska State Historical Society's web site and saw this quilt (click on the quilt to brong up full image)

http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0500/frames.../0501_0109.html

Although it appears otherwise, the whole thing is one URL. Anyway, this quilt was used in a sod home. When I saved the image and opened it in paint, it already is perfect 1:12 scale, the three blocks being 4 1/2 inches across, and all I would need to do is print it on fabric to make an "authentic" sod house quilt!

Okay, i know I sould obsessed, but I suspect when it comes to being obsessed that I am in good company here!

Jeri

Okay, i know I sould obsessed, but I suspect when it comes to being obsessed that I am in good company here!

You are not obsessed, you are just, how should I put this, very excited about your new project :banana: .

I think it's great, especially since your hubby liked the idea also. It's great when we can share our obsession, er I mean 'hobby' with them :D:banana: .

I do hope you'll share your progress with us :( .

You are not obsessed, you are just, how should I put this, very excited about your new project :lol: .

I think it's great, especially since your hubby liked the idea also. It's great when we can share our obsession, er I mean 'hobby' with them :banana: :lol: .

I do hope you'll share your progress with us :D .

Oh me too, obsessions are those that take a way time from your hobby, things one "must" do when one could have been mini-ing instead ;)

Great that hubby is into it as well! Looking forward seeing pics!

Hugs

There are various ways to print on fabric, sticking the fabric to a full-sized self-adhesive label is one I've seen, ironing it to the shiny side of freezer paper is another. There's a product for "fixing" the printer's ink on the fabric. When I quilt in mini I use a layer of one of DH's old undershirts for a "batt".

Jeri,

Are you going to blog this project? It sounds very interesting. That quilt is so pretty. I love old quilts.

Holly,

How does the t-shirt material drape once it is quilted? I have a dollhouse quilt that I am almost finished with, but I used two layers of an old cut up sheet for batting. It is a bit stiff, not as stiff as the first mini quilt I made. I used a layer of flannel. I cut that one down and made key chain for Mabyn.

There's a product for "fixing" the printer's ink on the fabric.

I am familiar with the Freezer paper method, and hubby always has a t shirt that is ready for the trash can that I could cut up. What is the product for fixing printed fabric?

Jeri

Jeri,

Are you going to blog this project? It sounds very interesting. That quilt is so pretty. I love old quilts.

Well, lets see if I am going to do the project LOL. I will wait until I get the copies of the Nutshell News articles, then see if I am still inspired and if it is something that i want to tackle.

Jeri

Jeri, there was an article in tonight's local paper announcing the opening of an exhibit at the local college (Missouri Valley College) about the works of Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is a traveling exhibit that features photographs, quotes from the author, and other historical information relating to her "Little House on the Prairies" books and Westward Expansion in general. The librarian has also assembled a display of items reflecting local Pioneer Days. I'm looking forward to viewing it!

I love this period of time and hope you can bring off the sod hut. Good luck with it!

I am familiar with the Freezer paper method, and hubby always has a t shirt that is ready for the trash can that I could cut up. What is the product for fixing printed fabric?

Jeri

Bubble Jet Set works best. There's a really great faq on it here: http://www.bryerpatch.com/faq/bjs_q&a_page.htm

Deb

I will wait until I get the copies of the Nutshell News articles, then see if I am still inspired and if it is something that i want to tackle.

If you don't, you can send them on to me, I'd like to give it a try.

I think this sounds like a wonderful project!

I hope that you decide to pursue it - if not now, then in the future - because it is obviously a subject about which you are passionate. I also like the fact that this is the type of project which could be publically displayed after it is finished. If you were able to loan it to a library, for example, people who saw it would not only learn about history but may also become interested in miniatures.

Best of luck!

Sounds like a wonderful project! My Grandmother lived in a soddy on the Prairies (Alberta and Saskatchewan) when she was girl. I think my Dad still has pictures of the house with the family outside in front of it.

Good luck with your project!!