wood filler, spackle or what

DebbyC

I have a lot of areas that are going to need filling in and sanding. I bought a tube of wood filler (not knowing how much I would need) and it is very hard to get it out of the tube. What is the best thing to use. It will have to be painted when I'm done.

I am the queen of spackle because I use it for so many things, but the first thing I used it for was to fill gaps and smooth rough edges of the plywood because even when I used wood putty out of the tub and applied it with a craft stick, it still was a bear to sand and the finished texture was less than wonderful.  Spackle dries smooth and sands smoother  When I absolutely have to have wood putty I now make my own from clean sawdust and wood glue and stain it to match whatever I'm using it with; it sands smoother than the stuff in the tub.  Some folks get satisfactory results with drywall mud or joint compound; and a few even have success with wood putty (Im jut not on of those).

Yeah, I discovered pretty quickly that I didn't like the texture of the wood filler/putty stuff. And it seems pretty difficult to work with. Doesn't want to stick where I want it to stick. I just needed to know from you experts what was the best thing to use.

Well I'm no expert on wood putty, for sure! but my recommendation is to play and experiment with small containers of different fillers until you find the one that delights your fingers and your eyes, and go with it.

Wood filler and I are not friends.

Spackle and I are best buds. I adore the ease of using spackle and how beautiful it fills things in and sands so velvety smooth.

That's just me though.

• Like 1

Wood filler is generally used to fill small nail holes, not larger areas. I have been using Spackling Paste for larger areas. It's texture is more like drywall compound, it's gray. There is another Spackle which is lightweight, white and fluffy. I use that as grout for tile floors.

• Like 1

Well then, spackle it is. Not quite ready to start filling yet. Still have the French door and the front door to do and now I have to figure out how to fix the inside trim for the dormers that doesn't want to fit. It's to wide and too tall. Wouldn't it be nice if these kits actually fit together the way they are supposed to?

I've used sandpaper for flat roofs. You have lots of options with it as far as grit and color are concerned.

I've also just painted flat roofs, and think the "stone" paints would work well for this application.

You can also do some sort of metal roof. My favorite is copper, but there is "tin" which you can create from cardboard.

• Like 1

Yeah, sandpaper sounds really good. I'll have to make a trip to Menard's to see what they have. I don't have many options in my area for shopping. Have Menard's etc, Walmart or a small JoAnn Fabrics. Other than that, its a 45 minute trip to the nearest big town and 1 1/2 hours to a town with everything. Do the "stone" paints come in a brush on? I have only seen them in spray.

There is also a spackle that is godawful PiNK! but turns white as it dries.

When you are working on RL walls the pink really helps you see where you've been and what you might have missed. Great for ending up with a beautiful smooth wall with much less effort.

• Like 3

I'm getting a little intimidated now looking at this house with all the windows and doors in wondering how in the world I am going to get the siding on. I have to stop looking ahead.

Now you understand why we recommend leaving the doors and windows off until the decorating's done.

Well there's the problem then, I look at installing doors and windows as construction, not decorating.

Installing doors and windows is part of the construction that is easier to do nicely after some of the decorating is done, like installing the stairs after you've decorated the stairwell. I have yet to see a rule that all of the construction must be completed before any decorating can be done.

Yeah, I just got too focused on following directions and finally seeing some progress and it didn't even dawn on me that the siding should have gone on first. I'll have to decide what to do now. I have a couple other ideas rather than using the siding. We'll see.

• Like 1

Wood filler is generally used to fill small nail holes, not larger areas. I have been using Spackling Paste for larger areas. It's texture is more like drywall compound, it's gray. There is another Spackle which is lightweight, white and fluffy. I use that as grout for tile floors.

Sable, do you put a sealer over your floor after you use the lightweight spackle for grout?

No I haven't yet but the house is still under construction. I'm not sure how a sealer would react to the spackle. Good question. Normally I use real grout but the sanded kind would have been too thick and the non sanded has too many health warnings on it.