Newbie Intro

John Z

Hi! I'm John and I'm a complete novice. :blush:

I've always wanted to build one of these dollhouses but I don't have a daughter.

So at the grand old age of 46 I've decided to build one anyway. I've ordered the Harrison and should be receiving it in a couple weeks. Until then I'm going to read the tutorials and get familiar with the instructions.

You've picked a great house for your first. I loved building that one and if you want to see any pictures they are all in my Gallery. You don't need a daughter to build a house. There are many little girls out there that would love to have a dollhouse. You can donate it to your favorite organization, or give it to a neighbor's child. Lots of options! But most of all, have fun and before you know it, you'll be building another one.

Ohh. almost forgot, welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum. There are several men on the forum and not all are building for a lady in their life. Some for themselves for the pure enjoyment. My DH helps me with building and loves the mini tools we've collected.

HI and welcome! It's true dollhouses are not just for girls. My son has a log cabin he loves. They are not just for children either. Really they are for anyone. There are so many different aspects of a dollhouse that appeal to lots of different people. As long as you enjoy it who cares what others think or say.

Hi John,

The others are right :thumb: You don't have to have a girl in your life to build dollhouses. I've always enjoyed looking at dollhouses but until a couple of years ago I didn't have any reason to build one... then like you I finally said - oh what the heck! I'm a grown man if I want to work on miniatures I will! Of course what really gave me the courage was seeing Jamie Carringtons Amazing 1:12 scale dolls and Rik Pierces Wonderful houses! These are two top people in the miniatures world - and both guys :D So now I do dollhouse just because I enjoy it :D

The Harrison is a beautiful house too! I haven't had the opportunity to build that one yet but that's a house I have slated to build and keep for myself - I can just envision it as a old world Inn and Tavern :) - however you decide to finish it though it's a beautiful place!

Anyway welcome to the neighborhood and I hope you'll join in and don't be afraid to ask any questions. The folks here are really wonderful with ideas - any time I get stumped they pull me out of it and help me get through what ever I'm working on :D

:drool: -David :)

:drool:

Hi John, the Harrison is a great house, I'm slowly working on one myself, doing a few modifications here and there :) . If you have any questions please don't be afraid to ask them someone will be able to help and remember there is no such thing as a dumb question :) . No matter how you decide to decorate the house just have fun and enjoy yourself :thumb: .

Welcome to the forum, John.

As long as you enjoy it who cares what others think or say.
I think that pretty well sums up miniaturists! We seem to be a fairly independent-minded bunch of happy campers by & large.

Jamie Carringtons Amazing 1:12 scale dolls and Rik Pierces Wonderful houses! These are two top people in the miniatures world - and both guys

And one of our irreplaceable losses to the mini world, Jim Dorsett (published The Scale Cabinetmaker); as well as Tom Berkner, who designed such wonderful dh kits!

Anyway, we are very glad you decided to join our "little" web family. Next to the Beaumont the Harrison is the kit I most want to build!

Let me add my welcome to the list! And having been in the midst of various "big" home renos myself over the past year, I have pretty well become a regular at Home Depot, but I love your idea! Wouldn't it be great if there was a mini Home Depot! I do renos in my home as a matter of necessity to get my house looking the way I want it, but I think one of the (many) reasons I like building miniatures is that the same work takes 1/12th :wave: of the time and cost, and I get to enjoy the fruits of my labours sooner, and without the aching muscles! Not to mention the fact that there's a certain satisfaction in not just decorating a house, but actually building it from the "ground" up! Happy building!

Welcome to the forum John, I know you will find lots and lots of hints and tips around here and hey who said anything about dollshouses beeing just for girls??? :wave: I know that is is sheer joy to open up that box of goodies and start petting the wood (mind you WITH a piece of sandpaper in between....)

Looking forward seeing what you do with the house when it finally arrives to you!

Mini-hugs

I'm a newbie also....I'm waiting for the arrival of my Sugarplum....can't wait to get started on it.....it should be here anyday......welcome to the forum......you will find everyone is so nice and willing to help in any way they can... :)

we actually do some mini shopping at the real Home Depot :wub:
Actually I've had better luck finding mini nuts, screws, bolts & washers at Lowes; I like to make working futons, among other things. Real scale hardware stores are great places for tools, paint, wallpaper paste, even wallpaper and vinyl floor tiles with really tinty patterns. The sample chips are great, too! I "tiled" an impluvium in an atrium roombox with three related colors of paint chip cards.

open up that box of goodies and start petting the wood (mind you WITH a piece of sandpaper in between....)

It's also a blast to sniff the newness of the wood, so long as no one thinks you're huffing...

I started building house of miniature furniture kits from e-bay. I believe I did get one of these as an introduction to a kit a month club in the 80's. My boys were small and I had no time to persue this hobby at the time. However I always enjoyed really small items that were detailed. The kits I have now built need rooms to go in so it was only natural to get the house. People ask who is it for? Me, of course. Don't concern yourself that your a man who wants to make a house. Enjoy the build. It is really rewarding.I have found that so many of the skills I have used for other crafts come in handy for making miniatures. I am taking my time and have yet to take a single picture of my progress although I enjoy looking in the galleries of other membrs for inspiration! We welcome you into the forum.