Craftsman/Classic Bungalow

mk56

Well, third kit under my belt. SHEESH!

Going to do my best to do this one as much in Craftsman style as possible. I don't know what all's out there so I don't know how far I'll get. Craftsman is one of my favorite, if not most favorite, styles in architecture and interior design. It was a pretty cool conception, too. Kind'a like the hippie prototype...

I've been having thoughts of doing a SECOND one as a beach cottage, sun, sand, sea gulls and beachy colors.

Oh, lord. Too, too, too many houses/ideas!!!

• Like 1

It came, it came! My bungalow is here. I can't wait to get started. The MMOA (Minneapolis Museum of Arts) has an arts and crafts display I dream about. I think it's one of the most artistic, beautiful, calming decorating periods. The colors are the best. I so enjoy them. What fun this will be!

Just ordered two pie safes from Hobby Lobby, along with some mini jars, an unfinished wooden hutch and a toy box.

With the 2 pie safes I'll remove the 'tin' and insert plastic for windows, and saw off the feet and there's my bookcases for either side of the fireplace. The mini jars are for 'food.' The bottom of the unfinished hutch will become a fireplace (saw the bashing tut for a hutch from Michael's), and the toy box will become an inglenook kind'a deally-bob.

Well.

The yellow is purrfect... The red is purrfect... The green - not so much. :noway: Pic to follow.

The green is too dark, too bright, too green. I need more of a reindeer moss color green. Dusky, light green with gray in it. Sos I will halt the green painting for now, continue gluing and painting posts, making and painting the brackets, and start doing the porch rails.

Here is a link to a large variety of ready to print 1/12th scale Craftsman wallpapers, friezes, and borders that I made. I e-mailed the ones I wanted to use to a local printing store. I had them printed on medium weight paper (8 1/2 X 11) with a laser jet printer and they turned out wonderful. Feel free to use any or all.

Here is a link to a large variety of ready to print 1/12th scale Craftsman wallpapers, friezes, and borders that I made. I e-mailed the ones I wanted to use to a local printing store. I had them printed on medium weight paper (8 1/2 X 11) with a laser jet printer and they turned out wonderful. Feel free to use any or all.

Where is the link?

Open it in the MS Paint program that comes on all computers. There are tabs or words (depending on your previously set preferences) near the top. Look in the drop downs and select resize. Then do a save as and you should be fine. 800x600 pixels is just about right for the forum.

• Like 1

e36050f9-2df5-41d1-8230-59e9ff4673c6_zps

I did, Selkie!!! Had to fiddle-fart with it in Photobucket, but I did it!

The yellow looks too brite in this pic, but it's not that brite. It's duskier. The red's fine. I mean, the colors - I think - do look well together but it's not what's in my head. ("Yeah, we KNOW what's in your head, mk. ROCKS!") I could go with the green, but I don't wanna. (pout)

First pic and show of progression on house!

I've got a feeling that dark green is gonna be a witch to paint over. (sigh) Actually, what's red is one of the arches, not a brace. That, too, is gonna be a fun time to cover (I bet) as it's not supposed to be red but yellow. I screwed up and forgot when looking for something I need to paint red to show you the colors.

https://plus.google.com/photos/100405451468553148541/albums/6057245971502128401?banner=pwa

I guess the link might come in handy...sorry. :bop:

A coat of gesso will

Using a coat neutral gray in between dark and light colors sometimes cuts down on the number of coats necessary for the changeover.

A coat of gesso will also cover a multitude of sins colors.

• Like 1

I also got the RGT Classic Bungalow kit for Christmas and am a huge fan of Craftsman style...I have given up on bashing it significantly, as far as adding space, but definitely want to put stone on the porch supports and may be the chimneys. I may change the roof supports and definitely the window designs. Should be so fun! I've only done one kit before and it was a Greenleaf so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference is assembly.

Mk56, happy to compare notes and ideas!

Sharon

So, I know the Westville is based on a craftsman style but I think I must be too much of a purist--the gables are pitched too steep for me. Even the classic bungalow seems a little off to me but I have seen other craftsman-style bungalows with similar roof lines.

Sharon