Dolls House Emporium

Lisa_F

Has anyone in the US ordered from them recently?

I have my eye on a doll house kit that I've just about got my husband convinced I need for Christmas this year ;) but before he goes ahead & orders it I have to find out about the shipping costs & import charges.

On their site it states that shipping over $90 is free, but when I click on the house to order it I get a notice that there is an additional carriage charge that will be applied when ordering. So I don't know if that means that the additional carriage is not included in the *free* shipping.

There's also a notice that my local customs office may add an import charge.

Can anyone tell me where online I can go to find out what I would have to pay for an import charge? I tried doing a search online, but I'm apparently not searching the right key words.

I tried clicking on their email link but either it's not working tonight or else my computer is acting up because nothing happens when I click on the link.

I don't think they have free shipping on the dollhouse kits. Only for there other items if you spend $90 or more. I LOVE there items though. I have about 3 kits of theres but no big dollhouse ones.

I have the Tower kit, Market Cross, & the chalet thingy they did last year. They go together very nice. I do know shipping is VERY expensive though which is why I only limit myself to there smaller pieces. There are a couple of houses of there's I would really LOVE to have though. ;)

Thanks Tracy.

Yeah, shipping is rather high - the notice I got was that the *additional carriage* would be $336. If it's gonna cost that much just to ship in - and then add in the price of the house and whatever import fees might be - I'm probably gonna have to just keep this house (Grosvenor Hall w/basement) on my wish list for a whole lot longer.

I've had such bad luck with them and shipping. Three separate orders went astray and unfortunately took months to finally get here and shipping was extremely high to Canada. I don't buy from them at all anymore. You also may want to check about the free shipping if over $90. I found that wasn't the case internationally, unless they've changed their policy since.

Why not send an e-mail to Dollshouse Emporium and ask how much it would cost? I'm sure they would have at least a ballpark figure to give you...and they may be able to tell you if customs would add an additional charge...

I lusted for the Charles Rennie MacIntosh dh kit, etc, but the shipping & import duties on top of the high price left me cold. However I have ordered all sorts of accessories from them (in the past, not recently, since I make so much more of my stuff) and the service was excellent.

Hiya. I probably should pm you with this info, but....I purchased the grosvenor hall. Two weeks later they had it on sale for over 300 dollars cheaper than i paid for it. That would have given me a break on the shipping. They wouldn't reimburse me for the difference. I wasn't happy. I asked them why they didn't tell me they would be having a sale in 2 weeks (i contacted them with questions prior to buying the house). They said that they couldn't tell me about monthly sales. At any rate, because of the huge difference in money that i feel i was jipped, i won't buy anymore of their products. I'm just being a stubborn mule. They have alot of stuff i would like to get.

On a positive note, they have EXCELLANT customer service. I was missing a couple of pieces and they sent replacements ASAP and without question. The dollhouse is gorgeous and excellant quality. Yes it was pricey but if i hadn't known about the sale, i would have been content and okay with what i paid. I didn't build the house for a whole month i was so disappointed, but i did get over my disappointment. Sort of :lol: That was still a HUGE chunka change i could have saved.

I'd say, get the house! Just watch for sales, they have had a sale at least a couple of times since i bought the house. I haven't looked for months now. Ultimately tho when you see how many big boxes arrive (7) and the next day (from england for heaven sake!) after you buy the house, 300 doesn't seem as bad for shipping. Again watch for sales as they equate to the amount you would have paid for shipping. Good luck i hope you get it!

Definately email them with questions....their sales are very confusing to read and understand...i'd get clarification on the shipping questions...who knows, maybe they are having a shipping sale. :D

...I purchased the grosvenor hall. Two weeks later they had it on sale for over 300 dollars cheaper than i paid for it. That would have given me a break on the shipping. They wouldn't reimburse me for the difference. I wasn't happy. I asked them why they didn't tell me they would be having a sale in 2 weeks (i contacted them with questions prior to buying the house). They said that they couldn't tell me about monthly sales. At any rate, because of the huge difference in money that i feel i was jipped, i won't buy anymore of their products. I'm just being a stubborn mule. ..."

Hi Marg,

I don't think you're beng a stubborn mule. $300 is a huge amount. Maybe I'm just spoiled but it seems to me in the states - or at least in California - if you buy an item and it goes on sale within a certain amount of time the company has to honor that sale price - you Do get refunded the difference. I would have not just been disappointed I would have been infuriated to purchase something and see it go on sale for $300 less, two weeks after I bought it. That definitely hurts the pocketbook!

-David

Also just so you'll know, there dollar is a lot stronger than ours here is USA $300 shipping for that big of a house & weight is like $120 over there.

I must say, if you do but it I don't think you'll be unhappy at all with the house. As for shipments, everytime I have purchased from them, I have received my item in 3 days!!! One time, I ordered the item on a Friday morning and Tuesday morning it was HERE at my front door (Hubby had treated me to breakfast and I did NOT want him to oknow I bought something) well we came back from breakfast and my package told on me :D .

I love there lights & wallpapers too. They have some doors I really like a lot too. When I purchase $90 of items I have gotten free shipping in the past. I have not ordered anything from them since about January though so it may have changed.

Marg, I do think they should have mentioned the sale to you especially since $300 to us is a LOT of cash. The beauty of the house though probably made you feel a bit better I know :lol: I do LOVE there designs and the "YEarly Contest Houses" are spectacular!!

Thanks for the replies everyone :D It's so great to be able to come in here and get so many viewpoints! Just one of the things I love about this place :D

I had tried emailing them last night but I couldn't get their email link to work (musta been having a duh moment because after putting in my post here it occurred to me that I could just email them from my email program :lol: )

I heard back from them today clarifying the shipping issue. The house kits do not fall under the free shipping because they are shipped via UPS.

Gonna have to think on this for awhile... I just love this house. But that's a lot of money...

Yes David, I was actually mad, then disappointed. :lol: I truly couldn't start building on the house for a month, it just made me sick to think how much money i could have saved if only they had told me to wait a couple of weeks to buy the house. Or given me a refund of the difference. I considered just selling the kit or even returning it since it was within the 30 day return period. It would have cost me money to ship it back tho, so i would have been at a loss still. I did get over my disappointment enough to start building it...still in progress tho cuz i need to buy a few things such as fireplaces first (then i'll decorate around the fireplaces). :D

At any rate, I spend alot of money on dollhouses and miniatures, so it was short sighted of them to have such a policy. I would have been a repeat customer and in the end they would have made alot more money off of me. Like I said, i won't buy from them again. Maybe they do such a great business that they won't miss my $$$ but their dollhouse kits are pricey and they probably depend on some word of mouth for business. All I can do is share my experience and also state the good things (and bad) about the company. In the end, i think repeat business is always something a company should take into consideration.

I do wish their policy was different, I know that in the states it is different and sellers will refund the difference within the return period. Ah well, 6 months later i still have hard feelings about this but i do love my house, it is truly an awesome house and i feel lucky to have it.

Also just so you'll know, there dollar is a lot stronger than ours here is USA $300 shipping for that big of a house & weight is like $120 over there.

I must say, if you do but it I don't think you'll be unhappy at all with the house. As for shipments, everytime I have purchased from them, I have received my item in 3 days!!! One time, I ordered the item on a Friday morning and Tuesday morning it was HERE at my front door (Hubby had treated me to breakfast and I did NOT want him to oknow I bought something) well we came back from breakfast and my package told on me :D .

I love there lights & wallpapers too. They have some doors I really like a lot too. When I purchase $90 of items I have gotten free shipping in the past. I have not ordered anything from them since about January though so it may have changed.

Marg, I do think they should have mentioned the sale to you especially since $300 to us is a LOT of cash. The beauty of the house though probably made you feel a bit better I know :D I do LOVE there designs and the "YEarly Contest Houses" are spectacular!!

I do agree on the shipping Tracy! I purchased mine on a sunday morning and they processed it the next day on monday morning, i had all 7 boxes on tuesday morning. All the way from England that is one heck of an impressive thing!

I may have to look at their site again. I remember the last time I looked (probably a couple of years ago) I remember thinking 'dang 90$ and you get free shipping but 90$ is a LOT of money'.. of course now that I'm more into dollhouses I realize just how fast $90 can add up! :D And I really do like some of the stuff that I can't seem to find here in the states - I may have to look into their wallpapers and furnishing again.. and I wonder if they sell magazines. I really like the UK dollhouse magazines! ... but I don't think I'll be buying any dollhouses from them. As far as I'm concerned the Greenleaf houses can be turned into some very spectacular stuff :D I'm happy to stick with a U.S. company for that :D

-David :lol:

I also love some of their items as well. But gee, Margarita, I would have been inclined to have sent the house back too. I've never ordered a dollhouse from them so I have no idea about that. But here in Ontario as well, if something goes on sale within a certain time period (varies with each store) you get the difference back. Even if they had offered you the difference in merchandize, it would have been great public relations. But on a happy note, your house is amazing!!

I also love some of their items as well. But gee, Margarita, I would have been inclined to have sent the house back too. I've never ordered a dollhouse from them so I have no idea about that. But here in Ontario as well, if something goes on sale within a certain time period (varies with each store) you get the difference back. Even if they had offered you the difference in merchandize, it would have been great public relations. But on a happy note, your house is amazing!!

Thanks for the compliment Wendy. In the end they did send me a package after my expressions of disappointment. It had baseboards, crown molding,wallpaper, floor paper. I think enough stuff to almost complete the basement if i chose to use it. Some of the stuff i will use (baseboards and molding), most of it i didn't care for (wallpaper). It did a little to help me feel better, but not much. I think a store credit would have been a better idea. Ah well. I think the value of the package was under 100 dollars. Stuff that i wouldn't waste my money on so i wasn't really impressed. I just vowed not to spend money there again....i sure love some of their other kits tho...lol...

I figured they refund the the difference since they state you can return the product within 30 days for a full refund. I was surprised, their bottom line was essentially 'too bad'. Here WalMart has a 90 day return period, they'll refund the difference if the item goes on sale within that period.

I'm not overly impressed with their houses, they're big, the trim is really nice, but the carcass is MDF. That's cheap stuff, for the same price as the Grosvenor you can get 3 Foxhall Manors from RGT, which are cabinet grade plywood, and prolly the whole Greenleaf catalog.