Formica

minime

I am waiting for Greenleaf to send instructions for my Beacon Hill. In the meantime I am getting tons of tips and trying some of them out to see how well they work for me. Has anyone done anything with formica for floors. I picked up a piece about 24" x 24" at a resale store for 50 cents. They have tons so if it works out I could get all I could use.

The piece I bought is real shiny like polished stone, black with speckles in it. Not sure how it will translate to scale but I think the pattern is small enough. I was thinking of cutting it in 1" squares to use like tiles. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I like th e sound of it and I think I know what you mean, but can't find the right word in tranalsting this so pics would be great :lol: Good luck and I hope it workd!

Hugs

The man at our local hardware store let me take a few of the sample chips of Formica to try to use as a countertop for a kitchen cabinet or sink for the Orchid. I've hesitated to cut into it for fear it will chip. I'll be interested to know how cutting it turns out for you. I think it would make a lovely tiled floor!

Formica? Hmmm. I would never have thought of it -- but your description of it sounds like it would make a wonderful looking floor. What do you use to cut it, tho'? This is intriguing -- I envision gorgeous counters with shiny stone-looking countertops, floors you can see yourself in. Do keep us posted -- you may be on to something here :lol:

I've used the countertop sample chips for tabletops in my pub and for the drainboards of the Belfast sinks I've made. I scored it with my utility knife with a NEW blade along a steel straightedge and then snapped it off along the edge of my desk and neatened the break line with sanding.

I scored it with my utility knife with a NEW blade along a steel straightedge and then snapped it off along the edge of my desk and neatened the break line with sanding.

Thanks Holly! Wouldn't have thought a utility knife would do the trick -- so long as I don't need power tools it's probably something I'd be comfortable with.....Lowes, here I come :lol:

In my first house, years ago, I wanted an old-fashioned speckeled linoleum look. My dad owned a floor covering store, so I went into the warehouse and found a scrap of rose colored speckeled Formica. Dad used to install the stuff, so he cut it to size and installed it in the kitchen. Looked great!

I took pics years ago with a film camera, but if you want to see I can dig up the photos and scan them.

Jeri

I took pics years ago with a film camera, but if you want to see I can dig up the photos and scan them.

Jeri

Are you serious???? OF COURSE WE WANT TO SEE!!!!! Silly girl! :lol:

Jeri,

I would love to see the pics. I spent quite awile today trying to cut this stuff. First I used a utility knife like Kathie B suggested, it did chip, alot. Then I pulled out my scroll saw, it was buried under a couple of years of junk. I put a strip of masking tape along the cut line and it didn't chip at all, but it's been so long since I used the saw that I couldn't get a straight cut. I then went back to the utility knife, with masking tape and it did a pretty good job as long as I took several passes. I am going to put a new plate on the saw and a better straight edge tomorrow and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted.

My dad used to use a special tool he called a score-all that had a carbide cutting tip. It looked somewhat like a not retractable utility knits with a "V" shaped cutting edge. I don't know how much one costs. If you don't have a lot of cutting to do, it probably isn't worthwhile to buy one

Jeri