What style dollhouses would you like?

mesp2k

I would like to see more great houses with small footprints and more great multi purpose structures that allow our own creativity to rule the build. This way of design I am thinking might include a lot of what has already been said. A hotel...I say multi purpose. An apartment building, old fashioned department store, hotel or outright mansion. But, smaller footprint and tall.

Something else I would like to see is more storybook style houses and more window and door options.

I have longed, since July 2013, to create a hotel and decorate each room in a different style. To this end,loast Autumn, I bought the Artply Worthington. I took one look at it and just had to have it. The (very nice!) seller is in the UK, as am I. She'd just moved to a much smaller house and had no room for this gorgeous house, which she'd half-built. She had no idea of the make or original date of the house, but she suspected (very reasonably!) that it might be Greenleaf.

I'd just tracked down my Corona Willow so, as we all do, I immediately set-about identifying the Worthington. I googled Colonial mansion dolls house or something similar and up came lots of images. BINGO! I spotted the Worthington. To make sure I came here for confirmation. As I've posted before the house was badly damaged in transit but with a bit of effort I should be able to do a decent patch-up job. I know that the Worthington is a classic colonial mansion - a Southern Plantation House, is the impression it gave me on first sight. But I have a hankering to make it into a hotel.

I contemplated transforming it into a gorgeous white moderne house, but changed my mind. What I love about this hobby is the 'blank canvas' presented by so many wonderful houses. With a bit of imagination and patience you could theoretically make any style you like, even futuristic!

As a complete beginner I even look forward to struggling with problems and overcoming them - I fully expect to come here for the very best advice. I haven' t tried my hobby multi-tool yet but, once the most recent eBay house has been delivered, I will start work.

I need to post images of my other houses and shops. I did go MAD at first, I cannot deny it, so it''s fantastic to come here and read that we all do! When I see a potential bargain I go into must-have-it mode LOL. Lately I try to window-shop, rather than buy!

• Like 1

1st of all its free! :)

It's not like 'house drawing' software - its more about raw shapes.

Sketchup basically prints the 3D "still image" that's currently showing on your computer screen - more like a paint program. There are no plans or diagrams - its like a virtual dh with all its parts. Its kind of like measuring a real dh that's already built - then making plans from those measurements.

I could just draw the plans in 2D with something like CorelDraw - but I need to see the dh in 3D to visualize it...especially the vague PM Art Deco dh article. Its great for working out problems like roof angles, etc.

Careful with the furniture - its a real memory hog. The warehouse has entire houses already drawn, but they are not broken up into walls & floors?

If you need help using Sketchup feel free to ask me.

Sketchup Reference Card (pdf) > click here

Hi Mike

Sorry, I only realised now I haven't replied to your answer yet (my apologies!!!).

Thank you very much for the reference card - that will be handy!

Okay, I see what you mean. I also like that I can visualise more easily and with a lot more detail, than trying to pencil sketch every single aspect of a build.

I'm not at a level where I need to draw plans for a build, but my husband has access to Autocad at work - I'll just rope him in at the appropriate time hehehehehe.

Do you think I can let my 7 yr old daughter play around with Sketchup? Who knows - she may be a budding architect for all I know and fall in love with design.

• Like 1

Hi Mike

Sorry, I only realised now I haven't replied to your answer yet (my apologies!!!).

Thank you very much for the reference card - that will be handy!

Okay, I see what you mean. I also like that I can visualise more easily and with a lot more detail, than trying to pencil sketch every single aspect of a build.

I'm not at a level where I need to draw plans for a build, but my husband has access to Autocad at work - I'll just rope him in at the appropriate time hehehehehe.

Do you think I can let my 7 yr old daughter play around with Sketchup? Who knows - she may be a budding architect for all I know and fall in love with design.

You're welcome. You're husband might not like Sketchup if he's use to Autocad - different animals. Definitely let your daughter try it - she will teach you, LOL!

• 1 year later...

I'm going to go outside the box and say I'd like Pop Culture replicas.

Brady Bunch house (I'd put my Lundby furniture in it)

Bewitched (Samantha and Darren's house at 1164 Morning Glory Circle - I'd do it in 60s/70s colors)

Amityville Horror dutch colonial

Addams Family (Beacon hill is close, but not quite)

Jane Austen or Bronte Parsonage replica house

Leave it to Beaver

Andy and Opie's house (with Aunt Bea's room!)

I love the way you think! I'd like to do a 70s house also, maybe use the Brookwood kit?

I'd also love replica kits of famous dollhouses - like the old FAO Schwartz houses:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-swhuCckhxTo/TcC4j9gQ9iI/AAAAAAAADYw/L88Le8EvpTA/s640/meehan+027.JPG

And something akin to Tasha Tudor's dollhouse:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2774/4068703296_9b66dbc877_o.jpg

That house looks simple, but the paneling and details would need to be included.

All my favorite houses have formal entry ways (something missing from a lot of kits now), and proper hallways...no stairs into the bedroom, no bathrooms in the middle of everything!

I really like replicas I guess.

I'm going to go outside the box and say I'd like Pop Culture replicas.

Brady Bunch house (I'd put my Lundby furniture in it)

Bewitched (Samantha and Darren's house at 1164 Morning Glory Circle - I'd do it in 60s/70s colors)

Amityville Horror dutch colonial

Addams Family (Beacon hill is close, but not quite)

Jane Austen or Bronte Parsonage replica house

Leave it to Beaver

Andy and Opie's house (with Aunt Bea's room!)

I'd also love replica kits of famous dollhouses - like the old FAO Schwartz houses:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-swhuCckhxTo/TcC4j9gQ9iI/AAAAAAAADYw/L88Le8EvpTA/s640/meehan+027.JPG

And something akin to Tasha Tudor's dollhouse:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2774/4068703296_9b66dbc877_o.jpg

That house looks simple, but the paneling and details would need to be included.

All my favorite houses have formal entry ways (something missing from a lot of kits now), and proper hallways...no stairs into the bedroom, no bathrooms in the middle of everything!

I really like replicas I guess.

I love the way you think! I'd like to do a 70s house also, maybe use the Brookwood kit?