Staircase Runners

LuvDylan&Holly

What do you all use for staircase runners?

I have looked at some runners that they sell at the mini websites, but they say they are 2 inches wide, which is the exact width of the BH stairs. I wanted to leave a little space on each side of the runner. I made a runner for my winding bottom floor staircase, but I'm not sure if I like it. I glued a piece of fabric trim to a ribbon. It seemed like a great idea at the time, but I'm afraid that it looks less like a stair runner, and more like a........well......a piece of fabric trim glued to a ribbon, lol. It looks a bit too bright and flashy, and my dh said that from his angle it looked like a wrapper to a Cadbury Cream Egg. Not my idea of fancy for an upscale Victorian dining room. I haven't done anything yet with the second floor staircase in terms of a runner, but I'm more concerned about that one, since it would be more visible. Any info on this matter would be greatly appreciated so I can move on to obsessing over the next aspect of the house, lol.

Stacey

I ordered a staircase runner from miniatures.com. They're all 2" wide, but I laid it in and I do have space on either side of the stair. I've posted a picture below. They have four or five different styles of runners.

post-267-1159972618_thumb.jpg

I print out my own on fabric. Then I can choose the pattern or design I want, I can make it however long or wide I want, and also I can have it bend if the staircase is like the one in my Van Buren. (Have a look in my Blog on the Van Buren). In my Jefferson, I printed out the small pattern in the wallpaper to use for the stair runner.

Great ideas! I have some staircase runners that are printed on a stiff type of fabric, i got them from a Canadian seller on ebay. They are really pretty. The downside is that they are so still I can't get them to sit on the stairs right and look pretty...so they will be floor runners instead. Ah well. I'll try the ribbon!

You are all my heroes!

I am going to try to tea dye the runner I have already installed on the first floor. If it still looks funky, then I will rip it out, and try one of these other options. I am excited about looking into these options for my second floor staircase. That is the one I am really concerned about, because it is so much more visible.

Wendy, do you print on fabric for your area rugs as well? And does that also work for other types of fabric inside the house?

I have some staircase runners that are printed on a stiff type of fabric, i got them from a Canadian seller on ebay. They are really pretty. The downside is that they are so still I can't get them to sit on the stairs right and look pretty...so they will be floor runners instead.

Maybe you could soften them up by soaking them in cool water, and a little fabric softener? Or you could try the tablecloth thingy - cover the stairs in wax paper or cling wrap, then soak the runners in a diluted glue wash, lay them over the stairs, and let dry. Once dry (and hopefully formed to fit the stairs), remove the runners, then the waxed paper/cling wrap, replace the runners, and "Bob's your uncle"! :)

my favorite thing to use for stair runners is velvet fabric. at michaels you can buy a 1/2 yard of it in the bargin bin for like 1.99. its the dark red wine colore velvet and i cut that based on the size of my steps and usual trim it with a type of lace. thats what i did for my garfield..

Here's a suggestion based on something I did;

I went online, and found a delicate oriental runner, and repeated the pattern on Photoshop, setting the width to match my staircase. I then printed it on iron-on transfer (I learned by experience to find 'flat' transfer as opposed to shiny. But I ironed that onto a piece of off white linen, I then cut the transfer out, making sure to iron the edges of it under and then sewing it. It ended up being a very detailed, nice looking runner. You can see an image of it in my gallery.

gallery_254_69_61056.jpg

Looks great and I am going to save those tips as I will need something like this in my Chantilly when I get to that ...

Hugs and thank you for all the great tips!