Need help to assemble front door to my Orchid #9303 PLEASE!

donnamaria48

Good day everyone, I wanted to ask about my doll house that I put together a week ago and if anyone can help me I would gladly appreciated it. I bought the orchid dollhouse #9303, 3 weeks ago and even though I don't understand written instructions, I built it by looking at the photo on the box because I'm at visual person who copies what I see or I need step-by-step pictured instructions only. However I did complete and built the house mostly correctly except for the door which I'm having a hard time understanding if it swings open and closes and how to put it together and which pieces are needed. I would really appreciate any bodies input that can help me, thank you in advance for your consideration and help. Next I can't wait to paint and furnish the inside.

Kind regards,

Donna

• Like 1

Donna, please introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum; the gang will be happy to meet you.

There are two building blogs for the Orchid kit to help you along. The instructions can be followed if you do a dry build first, but it sounds as if you have that part licked.

I wait to install windows and doors and their frames until last, and I hang doors with strips of chamois (you can use twill tape or Tyvek), half sandwiched between the halves of the door and the other half sandwiched between the frame and the wall. Here's how I do it:

I put the two pieces of the door together and clamp them together along three sides and sand the open side smooth; I move the clamps and sand each edge until the door fits within the door opening (you might have punched it out of that opening, but I promise it will not easily fit back in there). I do this so I can just barely see light around the door, since paint will add to it. I then unclamp and prime and paint the pieces of the door the color/s we have decided on, on the "good" sides of each piece (put the "wrong" sides together for sanding) and let them dry. Once each piece is painted to your satisfaction you can glue the acetate insert into place on the "wrong" wide of the opening. By now you have figured out which side you want your hinges and can glue half your strips to the "wrong" side of the interior door piece. I use clear drying white tacky glue for the acetate inserts; depending on when I install the hinges I use either tacky glue or wood glue for them. I spread carpenter's wood glue thinly over the main parts of the exterior door piece's "wrong" side and clamp the two door pieces together, being especially careful to keep all those nicely sanded edges even.

Now I clamp the hinges to the door opeing to check for fit again. Don't be surprised if your door has become too tight again; it happens. Simply sand as before and lightly touch up your paint job. When it all fits to your satisfaction, glue the other half of the hinges to the wall.

At some point whilst glue or paint or stain are drying on the house's shell I have sanded and otherwise prepped, primed and painted the frame trim so that it fits around the door opening. At this point run a bead of wood glue around the trim piece and carefully lay ti on top of your hinges and around the door opening. If I want the door to open IN, like on my RL house, I glue the hinges to the interior wall. If I want it to open OUT, like in a store, restaurant or other public building, I glue the hinges to the exterior wall.

• Like 3

Joy, I described this with pictures in my part of the Team Glencroft building blog because in addition to one exterior and two interior doors I also hinged all but the middle of the triple casement windows to open and close.

Thank you for your replies to my question but I'm a beginner and amateur at this Havanaholly so I have no idea what parts to use for the hinges to even put the door together. I still have all the parts to the doll house but I have no idea which ones to use to put on the door. I wish there was a picture I can see shown to see how this is done, could someone do that for me please because I'm still lost of how to put it together. I'm really sorry because I'm having a hard time understanding written instructions, I have no idea what pieces to use to connect to the door to the house so he can opening. Can anyone please don't break it down for me so that I understand how this is done I would really appreciate it, Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Donna

• Like 1

Donna, please introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum; the gang will be happy to meet you.

There are two building blogs for the Orchid kit to help you along. The instructions can be followed if you do a dry build first, but it sounds as if you have that part licked.

I wait to install windows and doors and their frames until last, and I hang doors with strips of chamois (you can use twill tape or Tyvek), half sandwiched between the halves of the door and the other half sandwiched between the frame and the wall. Here's how I do it:

I put the two pieces of the door together and clamp them together along three sides and sand the open side smooth; I move the clamps and sand each edge until the door fits within the door opening (you might have punched it out of that opening, but I promise it will not easily fit back in there). I do this so I can just barely see light around the door, since paint will add to it. I then unclamp and prime and paint the pieces of the door the color/s we have decided on, on the "good" sides of each piece (put the "wrong" sides together for sanding) and let them dry. Once each piece is painted to your satisfaction you can glue the acetate insert into place on the "wrong" wide of the opening. By now you have figured out which side you want your hinges and can glue half your strips to the "wrong" side of the interior door piece. I use clear drying white tacky glue for the acetate inserts; depending on when I install the hinges I use either tacky glue or wood glue for them. I spread carpenter's wood glue thinly over the main parts of the exterior door piece's "wrong" side and clamp the two door pieces together, being especially careful to keep all those nicely sanded edges even.

Now I clamp the hinges to the door opeing to check for fit again. Don't be surprised if your door has become too tight again; it happens. Simply sand as before and lightly touch up your paint job. When it all fits to your satisfaction, glue the other half of the hinges to the wall.

At some point whilst glue or paint or stain are drying on the house's shell I have sanded and otherwise prepped, primed and painted the frame trim so that it fits around the door opening. At this point run a bead of wood glue around the trim piece and carefully lay ti on top of your hinges and around the door opening. If I want the door to open IN, like on my RL house, I glue the hinges to the interior wall. If I want it to open OUT, like in a store, restaurant or other public building, I glue the hinges to the exterior wall.

Thank you so much for this. I happened to see it and saved the information for when it comes time to do the door on my Orchid.

• Like 2

For assembling the Orchid door, I'm not sure if my picture here will help you, but there are four pieces - one that's filled in at the bottom with the window cutouts up top, one that's like a frame also with the window cutouts up top, and two rectangular panel pieces. You sandwich the plastic between the first two pieces and then add the panels in between the outlines at the bottom.

The kit doesn't include any pieces that connect the door to the house. You can glue the door into the opening if you don't want it to open and close, or add hinges that you buy separately. Gina's tutorial linked above gives a good overview of the different hinge options.

Donna, I cut a strip of chamois 1/2" wide and 1"shorter than the length of the door. I then cut the chamois (leather) strip into three equal pieces and space them evenly along the wrong side of the interior door piece and glue a scant 1/4" to the door. When I glue the two pieces of the door together, the chamois strips are sandwiched between the door pieces. When I glue the other halves of the strips between the door's frame and the wall, the door is hinged. I buy chamois detail cloths at auto supply stores. You can also use twill tape or Tyvek, which is what the envelopes the Post Office uses to put stamps into.

I have never had any luck using the eensy itty brass hinges that HBS sells.

• Like 1

Holly,I've read your tutorial for door hinges several times before and always wondered where to get the chamois strips! (And didn't ask cuz I haven't needed it yet and didn't want to forget! lol)Thanx for including that detail this time! Now I know what to get and where! :D I'm still not sure about Tyvek,even though I Googled it the first time I read it...What does it look like and where do you get it?

Donna,is it a language barrier that keeps you from understanding the written instructions? I'm sure someone here would love to help,if it is. I am so happy that you came this way,because there are so many nice,helpful people here who all want others to be able to enjoy this hobby!! ^_^

• Like 3

I'm still not sure about Tyvek,even though I Googled it the first time I read it...What does it look like and where do you get it?

Just go to the post office and pick up (free) an express mail or priority mail envelope (the soft kind not the cardboard) and you there you have it. It is made of Tyvek and is virtually indestructible as a hinge. If you get a shipment in one, just save it. One envelope is enough for dozens of hinges !!

• Like 4

Welcome Donna! I have the same problem building that you do........I often rely on the pictures instead of the directions because they are about as clear as mud for me! I pretty much do my own thing. It gets me into trouble!!! I am just starting the Orchid and right off they want you to do the windows. Well like Holly says, she does the windows and doors last and so do I so I skip straight over to assembling the house the best I can and I will fight with the hinges and windows later. I did find out there are different instructions for the Orchid. I found the ones that come with the kit are really awful and the ones I downloaded from this site are a little better. Good luck! There is a lot of help in this forum!

• Like 1

Okay,thanx,Selkie. It's still a mystery to me now,but I bet I will feel like a fool when I finally see it! I rarely receive packages and they've always been cardboard boxes or padded brown envelopes,but maybe my son has and I just haven't seen it...We shall see-always something new to learn here!lol

Glassine is another name for the envelope material (Tyvek might be the brandname). Chamois is the soft suede leather auto supply stores sell for going over your car after you first polish it after waxing.

• Like 1

Yep,chamois leather is well known-just didn't know you used the cloths-I had assumed it comes in strips at a hobby store,but it's great to know the source now. As to these envelopes,I'll just have to wait a couple weeks until I get to go to town and run by the post office...I lead a sheltered life,I guess--or boring!!lol One question,does the door really swing open smoothly with this type hinge and,it stays closed?

Don't feel bad Kat , I didn't know what Tyvek was either and tried looking it up. :D

Thanks Selkie , I just happen to have one of those envelopes , I'll be trying that out on Opal.

Donna , have we been any help ?

• Like 2

Here is a picture of a soft tyvek priority envelope. They make express mail ones out of it too. They are about 10 inches wide or so.

F7BZ8VKF0X27XKC.LARGE.jpg

This cardboard kind is what you do NOT want.

$T2eC16ZHJHEE9ny2sY6)BQUNMzLz8g~~_1.JPG

And to answer your "swing" question - yes they swing fine. Twinkle used the envelope for her barn doors and the horse stall windows if you want to take a look at her SF.

Thanx for helping me to not feel like an alien,Stacey!! lol And Selkie,that does help,as I've never seen the 'soft' kind,just the box. Wonder how long those have been around and what rock I was under!?lol I love looking at Twinkle's Spring Fling so off I go to check it out again! :) See what nice people we have here,Donna?! ^_^

• Like 1

... I love Twinkle's barn too , it reminds me of our barn growing up. :)

...I love looking at Twinkle's Spring Fling so off I go to check it out again!

Twinkle says: "Thanks for all the nice things you say about my barn. I love animals."

• Like 2

I want to take the time to thank everyone who has responded back to my question I have posted, all of you have been very wonderful and helpful to me and I want to thank each and everyone of you for having a input in helping me with ideas on how to put the door to my doll house together. Thank you for your time, patience and expertise and without all of you I wouldn't have succeeded. Before I came across the website is called the 1-800 number listed on the instruction manual, but when I did not get a response within a couple days I called a second time, this time a little agitated and stern with my message, they however did return my call me but that's after you guys have already helped me. That's when the woman told me that I had to buy my hinges separately, which I was glad because I had no idea if the parts were misplaced or something by my doing. She told me the same thing you guys have told me and that the hinges were very small and so with screws and that I would have a very hard time putting them together, so he advised me to use that strip thingy ( forgot what it was called, ) sorry that you guys told me to get it from off of a large envelopes, and I did just that and it turned out wonderful and easier than the hinges that you buy from the store. So again thank you to everyone was taken the time to help me and respond back to my post. You guys are all wonderful and I'm glad that I found you at this awesome website, everyone have a wonderful Saturday.

Best regards,

Donna

• Like 2