for my Pierce(Thistle Manor)

mamathistle

Judi - you are officially a lighting genius! I think I actually have a few of those same ornaments - found them in the Hindi section when it was Diwali and they were hanging at the bottom of a long strand of smaller plastic crystals (they hang them from doorways, trees etc).

I did not know you could drill into them - this is a REVELATION :bouncesmile:

I always thought the acrylic would crack.

What kind of drill did you use?

I just bought a set of small finger drills from Hobby Builders Supply (they should be arriving next week) so that I can drill really small holes in the floor of my Arthur to hang the downstairs lights from jewelry head pins.

I wonder if they are strong enough to drill carefully into acrylic. I may get blisters on my fingers, but hey, its for Art!

• Like 1

Lene, clamp the heck out of your crystal before drilling it. You might be happier if you could get your paws on a used dental drill and bits, since they run at much faster rpms and drill teeth without cracking them.

Judi - you are officially a lighting genius! I think I actually have a few of those same ornaments - found them in the Hindi section when it was Diwali and they were hanging at the bottom of a long strand of smaller plastic crystals (they hang them from doorways, trees etc).

I did not know you could drill into them - this is a REVELATION :bouncesmile:

I always thought the acrylic would crack.

What kind of drill did you use?

I just bought a set of small finger drills from Hobby Builders Supply (they should be arriving next week) so that I can drill really small holes in the floor of my Arthur to hang the downstairs lights from jewelry head pins.

I wonder if they are strong enough to drill carefully into acrylic. I may get blisters on my fingers, but hey, its for Art!

Lene I used my Dremel... first I ground off the point on the top down about 1/4 inch then used a small drill bit to start the hole..then used router bit # 640 to make the hole larger and deeper you have to go slow ad not put to much pressure on the drill (crystal will get hot and melt)....

l when I had it deep enough I took # 144 cutter bit which is for soft materials to finish the hole in the middle...go slow because the Acrylic will melt (ask how I know) ...

then I drilled 5 holes around the bottom with a 3/64th drill bit ..

I used 20guage wire for the arms but when I do the next one I think I will use one size larger ..

I then put 3 led's in it..if you want less led's then you don't have to drill the center hole as big as what I did.... just big enough for the light to fit ...but I wanted it real bright so I used 3 and because they don't get hot they are safe..

after soldering on the wires and coating them ..(you could use shrink tubes) I glued a bead cap and a wire loop on top for a chain...hope this helps if you have any other questions just ask !!! Judi

• Like 1

Lene, clamp the heck out of your crystal before drilling it. You might be happier if you could get your paws on a used dental drill and bits, since they run at much faster rpms and drill teeth without cracking them.

Holly .....your right they are hard to clamp so I got a block of wood and had DH cut a hole the size of the large acrylic crystal as I want to make more light for the Garfield..I think he use one of those things you put on your drill that cuts holes...

• Like 1