Has anyone used the Dremel 231 Shaper / Router table ?

Stacey6163

I just picked up the Dremel Trio on ebay & have the Dremel 300 - my question is does the Trio do what the Dremel with the shaper / router table would do , or do they do different things ? Just figured I'd ask before buying the table , thanks.

The way I would explain it, is that the Trio is liken to a mini version of a jig saw. It has the ability to plunge cut and straight cut and cut curves and angles. Mine came with a guide to assist with that. I use mine for certain things but usually end up using my RL jig saw or band saw.

I'd say the router table is a different animal. In RL routers, you can do fancy edge work, creating trim pieces, make channels and L cuts and so on. I don't have the Dremel table so I can't say for sure, but I'd assume it would be the same. I have some router bits for my little Dremel that I've made horrendous messes with, no doubt, because I don't have the table contraption to guide it right.

Usefulness will depend on what kinds of things you are interested in creating.

The plunge router attachment r19897v15.jpgis similar to the Trio. Dremel-Trio.jpg

More of freehand way of routing. But you could use a straight-edge to make moldings or the edge of the piece you're routing by using a bit with a bearing that follows the edge.

(the first 2 & last one:)r24961v15.jpg

The table attachment r50963v15.jpgis not portable & can not rout larger pieces... :)

And thanks Selkie ! Not only do I have a dollhouse addiction , I have a power tool one too ! :bangin:

You are completely welcome. I've been working on my power tool addiction, ah, er, collection since I was a wee little girl playing in my father's sawdust bin.

I have always wanted to build a dollhouse and John always told me " you have enough hobbies and it would be too expensive". Well now he'll look at my projects and my tools and be like " geez even I don't have that tool " . I tell him if he's good I might let him use it . I have to keep an eye on him though ,when my stuff comes up missing , I know where to look . :D

Stacey, I finally had to tell DH to please use his own tools, or I'd have to paint mine pink so I could find them more easily, since his habit is to "borrow" and when he's done, "put it down". Since I use my Dremel router for straight cuts I like my table. I don't have the strength to use a plunge router to cut straight. My Trio taught me that! I use my Trio inside the lines to cut out door or window openings and then go back with my handsaw and clamp a steel straightedge to straighten the cuts.

I know exactly what you mean Holly - I'll go to use something and it's gone , go look in his work area and there it is ! My Tite Bond wood glue got taken to a job site and never made it home. When I said something he claimed the other glue was just as good , of course I had to ask why he didn't just take that then , oh well , I'll just get some more . Thanks for the info . :D

By workstation I presume you mean what I call a drill press.drln220-01.jpg

I have that and rarely use it because I already have a regular drill press. I didn't understand the difference when I purchased it and by the time I figured it out, I had lost the receipts.

If you are looking for something that is stationary, you could go with the router table attachment drln231_a.jpg

or the moto-saw attachment. The latter is more like a teeny scroll saw when clamped down on a table but can be used in your hand as well. drlnms20-01.jpgdrlnms20-01_c.jpg

Personally, I'd go for the real thing (a scroll saw) if that is the direction you are looking towards. It can handle any size wood up to 2 inches thick and can do exterior and interior cuts. Just get one that has a variable speed - imo. dewndw788.jpg

I have the table router, I mount it to one side of my workbench. I mount the drillpress to the back of my workbench. I have a shortened workbench base with open top DH made me to build houses on, and if I want to mount the finished house on a plywood base, it becomes the top for that workbench' and without a top I can clamp dh walls to its sides to cut out doors and windows with my Trio.