Third day of cleaning out a double storage room -- Arrrrghhh!!!

Guest Happy Heart

Guest Happy Heart

What a smart and thoughtful lady!

Well, everyone gets to decide what to do with their own possessions. When all is said and done, things and money aren't what matter.

• Like 1

What a smart and thoughtful lady!

She was VERY organized. My Brother and I also came up with a plan to flip a coin (he won), and took turns choosing items. We wrote the thing down, assigned a price, and took home our things, then added up the lists and paid the other one the difference. The rest of the belongings were relatively easy to go thru to finish clearing the house. I hope my two can co-operate when the time comes.

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

She was VERY organized. My Brother and I also came up with a plan to flip a coin (he won), and took turns choosing items. We wrote the thing down, assigned a price, and took home our things, then added up the lists and paid the other one the difference. The rest of the belongings were relatively easy to go thru to finish clearing the house. I hope my two can co-operate when the time comes.

People's defintion of organized differs. During a very stressful period of my life, when my home was never so cluttered, a (now ex for a good reason) friend had the thoughtful foresight to say, "You're so much more organized than I am."

Meanwhile, she herself'd organized you to death something more than myself can attest to.

As I said, ex for a good reason.

All this talk and my own complaints about my mother have made me realize I really need to go through my stash again and downsize some more. I usually do it every 6 months or so,but may shorten that.So much of what I have is ''I'll make so- and-so one day",and that 'one' day turns into years! Can't fuss about my mom too much if I am not much better! Just cuz I think her stuff is junk and mine has a purpose...it would still be junk my boys will have to deal with if I don't put it to use soon. Look at the movement you have incidently spurred on,Jean! Love this forum! :chat:

You are so right Kat! You got me thinking I need to get busy as well...I would hate for my family to have to clear out my stuff if anything happened. And, I guess it isn't fair to expect my folks to clear out their's when mine isn't that much better (just a much smaller house, so slightly less volume!!)...I am thinking about marking all new incoming craft items with an 'expiration' date--if I don't use it within one year of purchase, it has to be given away or tossed...might be a motivator to finish things and a reality check before purchasing if I have to stop and think if I will get it done within the next year!

Tappy

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

You are so right Kat! You got me thinking I need to get busy as well...I would hate for my family to have to clear out my stuff if anything happened. And, I guess it isn't fair to expect my folks to clear out their's when mine isn't that much better (just a much smaller house, so slightly less volume!!)...I am thinking about marking all new incoming craft items with an 'expiration' date--if I don't use it within one year of purchase, it has to be given away or tossed...might be a motivator to finish things and a reality check before purchasing if I have to stop and think if I will get it done within the next year!

Tappy

It is much better if one cleans out one's own living space (tho I'm not that far up in years, lol) the really funny part is I still haven't found what started me clearing out the two spare rooms in the first darn place, lol

:teary:

• Like 1

Guest Happy Heart

People's defintion of organized differs. During a very stressful period of my life, when my home was never so cluttered, a (now ex for a good reason) friend had the thoughtful foresight to say, "You're so much more organized than I am."

Meanwhile, she herself'd organized you to death something more than myself can attest to.

As I said, ex for a good reason.

She's been slapped with a restraining order which she continues to violate. Too bad I can't send HER to a yard sale.

• Like 1

As to what I leave behind, I have decided that I'm going to enjoy all the crafts and hobbies I can afford and desire to do.

I lost everything in a fire and had nothing for a long time. I told my kids I had cleaned out the house for them at that time.

What happens to all the "stuff" I've accumulated since then is their problem after I'm gone.

I won't care when I dead and buried.

They don't care about my hobbies now and that won't change even if I culled them to be just the "exquisite" ones.

None of them want anything that is in my possession aside from perhaps a vehicle or the $$'s from the sale of the house.

They'll back up a dumpster and heave it all not matter what we have left behind.

It's sad on one level, that what I do is considered just "busy work" that keeps mom/wife out of my hair, but it's a fact and I have to accept it.

Good luck with the overhaul.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have also been decluttering out the basement, we have a bedroom, family room and a unfinished side which is rather large. I had my craft room in the largest room. The boys want the bigger room for thier pool table. So I got kicked out, lol, honestly I am thrilled. I am decluttering and finding things we forgot about. This weekend we are having a yard sale. I already took a load of clothing to the thrift store. Once the basement is decluttered and arranged, I am heading upstairs !!!!!

Kellee

Decluttering and organizing is on my to-do list also, as soon as I get the Haunted Hangout moved upstairs. In rummaging through bags and boxes and drawers for bits and bobs for the HH, I discovered mini baskets in 3 or 4 places, odd bits of kitchenware here and there, furniture and accessories in the strangest places, and bits of construction and decorator materials all over the place!