any experience with the duracraft ashley

kat57

i was wondering if anyone has or had an ashley by duracraft that they would post pix of to show what they did with theirs.i honestly forgot that i have a kit still in the box that i keep promising i will build one day.it turned out to be so small after i got it secondhand years ago that i just lost interest and i couldn't afford anything bigger.for the last few years i have just done christmas roomboxes and small vignettes for gifts.i started following u guys to get some ideas.now i'm getting the bug to put this house together and make the best of it's tiny size until i am to a point where i could do something bigger-which would honestly just overwhelm me right now!i know i will probably kitbash the exterior some and maybe decorate the interior more like a roombox.not sure of the subject.i tend to be loooong-winded,so back to the point-any advice,experiences,photos to see how you did yours would be much appreciated!! thanx so much! Kat

The Ashley is also similar to the Greenleaf Orchid (from the front). You might want to search "Orchid" on the main forum page and look through the galleries to see what others have done with that kit. Lots of people have built that house and bashed it. It's interior also reminds me of the Buttercup, and again, lots of Buttercups around here! Good luck with it, it's a pretty house. :)

• Like 1

BTW, I haven't built the Ashley. I've built the DuraCraft Columbian and Sweetheart, and have a Lafayette in the box. DuraCraft kits are pretty straightforward builds.

I made the Lafayette which is similar to the Ashley. It was pretty easy to assemble. Watch out for funky spots in the upstairs if you wallpaper. Some of the corners gave me issues. I think it was a good (small) size, and I'd make it again if I had one.

hi,my friends, i just spent awhile going thru the gallery section and i cannot believe the incredible things people have done with the duracraft ashley! Debora,u are right about the similarities to the orchid and buttercup.when i have more time,i will compare measurements of all 3,out of curiosity,but the ideas i can get from all 3 now are innnumerable!! :) Greg,i found the ashley photos u suggested and a few more,once i knew where to go.so much talent and imagination here!amazing how many different versions of 1 house can be made.:) Holly,i hope i can 1 day do just this 1 house,let alone tackle any of the beauties u have! very impressive! :) u guys are helping me in a way u don't know:my younger son graduates from college tomorrow,which is incredibly great and i am so proud of him!unfortunately for me,i have extreme fragrance allergies,so crowded events always strike fear and anxiety in me!it's just about wrecked my life and made me very reclusive. but,u have helped me forget my whiney little troubles for awhile! i can't wait to try my hand at the ashley,now! thanx so much,Kat ps Jenny,thanx for your reply-i haven't had a chance look at the lafayette yet,but will go check it out now. :)Kat

• Like 1

That's what we're here for! Ask all the questions you want to; someone will have an answer or helpful suggestions. I've found this forum to be a wealth of inspiration, and very supportive. Have fun!

It's a fun little kit. I have pictures of two of them that I built in the past. You can see them by clicking here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&album=765

Even though it was smaller, it took as much time to build it as it did some of the kits that are a bit bigger. I was surprised about that because back then, I thought smaller meant faster :lol: boy was I wrong.

• Like 1

Also, for real bashing inspiration, don't forget that there are TWO building blogs for the Orchid to get those juices flowing. Kathy, I have more than a touch of agoraphobia, so I don't do well in large crowds.

Tracy, oh,my gosh,i did see these 2 earlier.you did those!?wow,don't tell anyone(haha),but they are my favorites so far.i would love to landscape mine similar to the 1 with the gentleman standing at the door.every one i have seen-and there are a quite few in the galleries-makes me wish i had given mine a whirl years ago.the poor thing was all but forgotten,because of my disappointment in it's size.funny,but in my current residence,a little mobile home,it will seem big!in a few weeks i plan to seriously start it.i will get my college boy to help me post pix of it.thanx for all the help and for hopefully forgiving more questions when i get started for real!;)Kat

• Like 1

...forgiving more questions when i get started for real!;)Kat

Since the main function of this forum is to answer people's questions there's nothing to forgive. Do invest in some masking tape and carpenter's wood glue.

just saw your note,Holly.glad that u understand.i told my older son yesterday that this allergy thing makes me feel so phobic.i manage church cuz we have a really small congregation,so i can sit apart from any offending scents.i don't have a client/patient right now,but a few years ago i took up caretaking for the elderly just so that i am not in public places most of the time.it gets hard right before and after Christmas because everyone is wearing their 'best' stuff and they never realize that it is killing me and others like me!people don't understand:i don't dislike good smells,but my body thinks they are poisoning me and reacts as such! anyhooo,i like the orchid and yes,i will get some good ideas there.thanx again!Kat

Kat, my heart goes out to you. Long story short, I can relate. I have been a member of this forum a few years now and find that it, and miniatures are my PERFECT therapy. As for how many questions you have or how many challenges you face in real life, again, this forum is perfect. People will help you stay strong.

As for the Ashley, I've built one. It's so cute. Here's my opinion on the small houses. They are perfect theme houses. Do something with your Ashley that you LOVE the idea of but know too much of a good thing would be overwhelming. Save the different wallpaper in every room thing for a big build. Later. When you're fully addicted and can find room for whatever house you want!

Welcome and have a great time!

Morgan

• Like 1

i have spent WAY too much time online today,but just had to answer you,Morgan.Thank u for being so sweet and for the good advice!i have thought that a theme might be best with the ashley.my son has long wanted me to do a little shop with the dishes,vases and odds and ends i come up with from found objects.the ashley may be the perfect spot.lately i have been making tiny bowls from acorn caps-sanded smooth and painted brightly,also,i make a simple shallow dish with plastic pull caps from juice drinks and soy milk.found objects from pump hairspray caps to bullet cases are flower vases.i intend to try some polclay 'pottery' soon.we all have seen these ideas.BUT,my favorite thing comes from a really odd source.(i don't know if anyone else has ever done this,but i can't find it any where online)u know those soft crushable plastic water bottles?(NOT soft drink bottles!)the bottom center is indented and has 5 to 7 molded sections-depending on the brand.well,i cut out around the bottom center,as rounded and even as possible.if you trim it down it will be about an inch in diameter.turn it in your hand so the part that was the outside of the bottle is now face up in your palm.see the cute fancy ridged bowl?sand all the edges smooth and paint with glossy paint or nail enamels.fun,fun,fun!fill with fruit or display in a china cabinet.as soon as my younger son can show me how to post some photos of this i will.thanx again for the encouragement! Kat

• Like 1

The smooth bottom of some smaller plastic pill bottles can work as a mold for glue glass plates. Drop a dripful of white all-purpose glue onto the center and leave it sit until dry; peel it off and repeat as mini times as you want to for a table setting.

Only certain scents set me off. One night when I was working as a floor supervisor at one of our state hospitals one of my staff decided to share her lovely new (expen$ive) perfume and spritzed some onto my neck; I immediately had to run to a sink and scrub it off (holding my breath en route didn't help much), but just that little bit threw me into a coughing fit. She immediately apologized; she had a severe shellfish/ iodine allergy (anaphylaxis) and hadn't realized other people could react to different allergens.

Holly,most of the expensive scented stuff does me in,as well as 99% of men's colognes.all fabric softener sheets,most candles,room deodorizers and most brand name laundry detergents.a walk through just about any store now is hell for me.years ago i worked in a little grocer/gas station where my boss' wife would wear some stuff she KNEW affected me,because i told her,and would purposely come stand right up next to me while i ran the register and couldn't escape.they lost their most trustworthy,loyal employee because i just couldn't take it any more! hey,yeah,glue glass is fun.my niece thought i was nuts when i showed her what i made with it!i learned alot of fun stuff years ago as a preschool teacher.amazing what we can apply to our hobby from other fields of interest.why,just today,the lady making the secret garden-you know about that one,using floral foam to press the stones into it for a stone wall-that's COOL! Kat