Help! Gap in eve decor on my Linfield

peggyquade

post-924-1158977528_thumb.jpg

:) Attached is a picture of the last eve on my Linfield and the decor that is supposed to be here. As you can see, there is a huge gap on either side of the decor and the roof. What would you do if this was your project? I have some scrap wood. I could carefully cut out two pieces to fit the gaps, glue them together, wood putty the gaps, sand and then paint them to look like they are all one piece. A lot of work. Any ideas?

clamps

I use clamps on the trim areas let the glue set up before removing them.

I use the clamps that look like guns with a trigger...you can make them smaller slowly till its where it needs to be.

also make sure you are using the right trim in the right area

the Westville had 3 peaks with 3 different size trim for them.

nutti :)

Actually Wendy, I think you may be on to something there. I can't see all of the house in that picture, or what I need to see. I need to see the peak on the roof and the sides all the way where the trim meets the sides of the roof line. Also, is this piece of trim one piece or two pieces?

From what I can see in the picture, I think I'd consider nutti's advice and see if there is another gable that this goes in. It appears to be too far off the correct angle to belong here.

If this is the right piece, right place, I'd consider cutting it up the middle, spreading it to fit, then filling in the gap, smoothing, and painting. Less work than filling gaps on both sides.

If all else fails, center it in the eave. Then use pieces of balsa strips and glue to cover gaps.. Does that make sense? It is not early but dh let me sleep until 10:30am so I am just waking up.

All great advice, folks! Thanks for all your ideas. I did make sure it was the right trim for the right eve. The others fit so beautifully that I was really stumped with this one. Still not sure what I will do but I'll post a picture when I figure it out!

post-924-1159422265_thumb.jpgI finally got around to trying to fix this eve vergeboard gap problem. I tried the clamps but there was absolutley no give in either the vergeboard or the roof line so I took someone's suggestion and cut right down the middle of the vergeboard. It wasn't as hard to cut as I thought it would be...you know, that cheap, thin plywood stuff. I taped each half in place against the roof line so I could trace a pattern of the gap. Then I cut a piece about that shape and size and glued it to the back of the vergeboard. When that was dry, I filled the gap with Paper Clay and let it dry, then painted it. Here's a picture of the vergeboard with the Paper Clay drying. Didn't turn out too bad. You don't want to compare it to the other vergeboards because that center part is way wider on this one than the others but you don't see them side by side so it's ok. Thanks for all your suggestions!