Halloween around the corner

Intrinsicat

Since this section is about non-miniature stuff and my favorite holiday is around the corner, thought I'd share a link to my costumes of past! Including a first image of a party food layout that includes the actual (and delicious) spiderweb dip I made in miniature cane form for the haunted swap... There are also some rice krispy sculptures scattered throughout the folders - I love making weird food, but especially rice krispies!

Hope you enjoy - the last two costumes are the most recent - and are of Gir and Invader Zim from an old Nickelodeon cartoon...

Happy Halloween

PS... hope no one is offended by my tyke's first costume - she won first place that year - even though she wasn't able to accept the prize "in person" (since I wasn't due until December) :lol:

Those are some Great Costumes! :lol: Makes me wish for a good ol fashioned Halloween party! What fun! I just started thinking about decorating yesterday but I'm So far behind I'm not sure if it'll happen before October 30 - which is what happened last year so I only got a couple of props set out.

Maybe this year I can get inspired :D

Thanks for the link to those great pics!

-David

ooooo you do great work!

why dont you live in my neighborhood? I could use someone like you in our annual spookhouse!

I thought it cute and remined me of my own kids at school in the unusual costume while all the other kids were regular store bought costumes.

you have great imagination!

love the costumes and food. someday when we are out of the spookhouse craze I am going to switch it to a big Halloween party for friends and family.

looks like yall have alot of fun!

nutti :lol:

THANKS - glad everyone likes them... :D

I know exactly what you mean, Nutti... I can't imagine buying a store bought costume. I figured my daughter would at least want costumes people would recognize - but she has no problem explaining all her costumes to everyone. I'd love to do a spookhouse, but that's not possible until we get outta townhouse living. I listen to rottingfleshradio, a podcast for the haunt industry, and found out they have one close by always looking for volunteers so I may have to do that this year! Do you do annual themes or set up a walk-through every year?

I'm hoping to get some decoratins up next weekend... I'm going to have to do it Martha-Stewart style this time... my house is on the market and I don't want to scare anyone away! :lol:

we do a walk through

this yr we are moving to the back yard and have so much more space to play in.

we do a black plastic maze with rooms

everyone has a real good time working and going through!

nutti :lol:

Oh my! Is it that time already? Need to drag up my BIG plastic totes full of gobliny goodness!

We arent having a birthday party this year for Natalie. I mean a big blowout slumber party with a halloweeny theme. I am tired..LOL

She turns 13 on the 28th and we are letting her pick the restaurant, and whatever she wants to do with the family. But a lil part of me is going to miss making the special goodies bags (chinese take out containers) and chocolate pops, caramel and candy apples, popcorn balls, and etc.

She does want a cake that I found in Country Living`s October issue. (cover pic) They do not have the recipe listed but if anyone is interested I can scan and send.

It is called pumpkin spice and pecan cake. You use 2 fluted cake pans (bundt style) to make two cakes and then they go on top of each other to make a pumpkin shape. Then you can use marzipan to make the stem and leaves. clg_cvr-med.jpg

ooo that looks yummy!

I too miss alll the fun things we do to build memories for the kidos.

but as they get older now we have to find new ways to do this....

so no party but yall can still have a great display in the yard or make a small haunt for the girls to scare the jeepers out of the trick or treaters!

nutti :)

Oh now do I wish I were living in your neck of the woods or what??? I love this season and I can honestly and proudly say that the kids who "dare" go trick and treating here can get a bit surprised to say the least when we open the door, ans Halloween is just starting to become a tradition over here as well. We have our own more traditional way about the same thing but not involving the trick-or-treating kind of feature but it is growing by the years....

Perhaps I should add that I am a teacher as well and live in the neighbourhood where lots of the school's pupils live..... :)

Hugs

That's great to hear that it's getting more popular instead of less popular! I have a friend in Australia who wants me to plan to come out ther at Halloween so she has more of a reason to celebrate. :lol: I've read where it's fast becoming the second most commercial holiday! I can believe it now going to stores, there for a while it was hard to find more than a few goofy costumes! Now Michael's is my favorite hangout in October!

It is official. I have dragged out the Halloween decorations! I have been s-l-o-w-l-y cutting down all the perennials in my yard and putting the pots away.

All of my purple lights work! And I have my inflatable out on the porch in it`s box! And my HUMONGOUS tote full of goodies is in the middle of the basement. Now if feels like Fall!

Halloween is my favorite too...and I agree that homemade costumes are the way to go....I don't get to do costumes anymore since my kids are all grown up...but I do decorate the apartment for myself...post-251-1159362938_thumb.jpgThis is one of the first costumes I made ...my little bag of gumballs!!

this weekend is the Miniature show and it is also the first weekend of October...the official get ready for Halloween weekend and monday I have to have all of my things ready for the Library

the DH has been working on a new prop for our haunt we are calling her Grace

post-9-1159363434_thumb.jpg

he needs to add some more paint to her and I have bought her some black roses to hold. I am also going to black out her eyes.

he worked on the Pirate that he is going to have in the pool....I am looking forward to seeing that come to

fruitation. not sure what he is going to have moving.

later today I will have him take photos of what he bought at spencers.

very kewl!

nutti :rolleyes:

this weekend is the Miniature show and it is also the first weekend of October...the official get ready for Halloween weekend and monday I have to have all of my things ready for the Library

the DH has been working on a new prop for our haunt we are calling her Grace

post-9-1159363434_thumb.jpg

he needs to add some more paint to her and I have bought her some black roses to hold. I am also going to black out her eyes.

he worked on the Pirate that he is going to have in the pool....I am looking forward to seeing that come to

fruitation. not sure what he is going to have moving.

later today I will have him take photos of what he bought at spencers.

very kewl!

nutti :rolleyes:

Oh Nutti....your new prop is soooooo cool....sort of reminds me of the Eternal Silence monument at the Graceland Cemetary here in Chicago....

• 2 weeks later...

we always have alot of fun!

DH has made another prop and he bought some....we dont usually buy anything but he couldnt resist! :pinch:

oh well....its a big yard to fill up. we had rain today so no post went up as planned but this is good as the rain will have softened the ground making sinking post a bit easier.

we always buy stuff like cobwebs and things not yet in out collection but our collection is getting quite big.

I think Ill have him drag it all out for a group photo...

have to disinfect all of the mask...like to do this early so it wont smell like bleach on Halloween.

we have around 30 mask...we usually buy 3 or more each season and we have had people donate a couple.

I ask each actor to wear black....first come first serve on the coolest mask and robes, capes,and monster hands. if you are late to sad for you. :p

I am really going to be more and more a lurker for the next 3 weeks.

I hope yall keep posting here and sharing your ideas!

nutti :lol: :woot:

post-9-1160550010_thumb.jpgpost-9-1160549985_thumb.jpg the head wiggles and the half torso crawls back and forth and lft and right via remote control...boys and thier toys :blush:

post-9-1160550045_thumb.jpg of course I loved this so this was our first purchse for this yr...in the haunt it will be in a room with cobwebs and a 8ft rope web with a 3 ft spider on it...oh and a mummy in the cobwebs to come alive at the right moment

post-9-1160549964_thumb.jpgthis is another of his creations....it is in this position and than it pops up and forward

bu motion detector

we do have some nice props these days but we started out with a few things we kept in our poolroom for decoration, 2 borrowed strobelights and 4 blacklights...2 borrowed

4 adults and 4 kids...we had a ball that first year.

and every year since than.

http://www.geocities.com/nutiwebgal/

thats my outdated page but there are several years of photos to view...somehow the last 2 yrs are intermingled and I havent bothered to fix them...and wont till I make this yrs page.

nutti :blush:

Nutti!!!! - Grace is AWESOME!!!! Oh man I've always wanted to make a monster mud reaper but I think you've got those beat with Grace! She's gorgeous - and with black roses to hold? Oh yea!! Dang I wish I could come to your house on Halloween :lol: I bet you've got the coolest place in town! :w00t:

-David